215-40-18 or 225-40-18? & which tires? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

215-40-18 or 225-40-18? & which tires?

In the next week or two I need to pull the trigger & get some new shoes for my viggen. Present 17's are going to be winter only & it's just to difficult finding 17's that fit around my brakes.

Wheels are 18x7.5
Offset: +42mm
Backspacing: 5.90"
Bolt Pattern: 5-110
Rec. Tire Size:215/40-18
Weight: 20.8lbs.

Tirerack suggests 215's, but will 225's work w/o rubbing & possibly a occasional track day?

2K viggen 5dr with koni spring/shocks?

Considering these tires

Continental Extreme Contact DW @ $166 ea 340 tread, 92 load
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2 $171 300 & 91
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 $189 220 & 92 clearance

Leaning towards the PS2's

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

I've got 225 x 17's and they are perfect. Guys even run 235's.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
TSLMember

I currently have hankook 215s which I got from tirerack.com. They are probably the best tires for the price. I got them for $128 each. Theyre crazy grippy but still seem to wear decent. They're also really good in heavy rain unlike most other tires I've have on my viggen. The only bad thing is they have a soft sidewall but I have 18's so its not bad. They're definitely worth a look.

Sent from my HTC Vision using AutoGuide.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
gm

My present Dunlops I am less then impressed with. They are sticky.... but hold crap they get LOUD as they age!!!

I will check them out... trying to stay with a tire with a sidewall rating of 90+ to hopefully help minimize tramlining & all that crap

Any other opinions??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 225/40/18

Great summer DD tires that will do well during light track duty.

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

Old 02-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 225/40/18

Great summer DD tires that will do well during light track duty.

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
These are the ones I was referring to

Sent from my HTC Vision using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
gm

I think I am going to do either the Continental DW's at $161 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport at $225 minus a $70 rebate... so $210 ish each. Just not sure it's worth the extra $200 ish for Super Sports vs DW's.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
My present Dunlops I am less then impressed with. They are sticky.... but hold crap they get LOUD as they age!!!

I will check them out... trying to stay with a tire with a sidewall rating of 90+ to hopefully help minimize tramlining & all that crap

Any other opinions??
You have the star specs too lol?

If I were you I would go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Michelin always seem to last a lot longer than their treadware rating seems to indicate
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
I think I am going to do either the Continental DW's at $161 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport at $225 minus a $70 rebate... so $210 ish each. Just not sure it's worth the extra $200 ish for Super Sports vs DW's.
Probably is worth the extra $200 down the line. I've never had a roundness problem with Mich tires, or a noise problem, I have with the Conti performance tires. The Mich Pilot also tend to last longer and actually meet their mileage rating.

See the reviews/surveys at tirerack. I'm not usually too excited about statistically invalid surveys, but with a few million miles reported, you have to figure that the average is moderately accurate.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
gm

Thanks again.... going to hit a couple local wheel/tire shops and see if they will beat tirerack's price. Some new Enkie wheels & Micheli rubber

Thanks for the input....

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
gm

Went to local shop to try and compare them vs tirerack

same price on wheels.... $180 ea
not so close on tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225-40)...... $286 ea vs $225 (plus $70 gift card)

Shipping is around $60 if I recall...... they wouldn't/couldn't move on the tire price or wheel price. Stated I have to pay shipping, mounting/balancing, rotation & alignment thus add around $500 to tireracks price to get equilevent to their's (Tire Discounters). Hopefully stop by Discount Tires tomorrow & see what they can do.

O yea.... sales guy told me I should use 235-35-18's on the car. I mentioned lack of tire room & he claimed not a issue... only two tires that he had available at that size, Continental Extreme Contact DWS $196 ea or BFG KDW NT $263 ea

Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
O yea.... sales guy told me I should use 235-35-18's on the car. I mentioned lack of tire room & he claimed not a issue... only two tires that he had available at that size, Continental Extreme Contact DWS $196 ea or BFG KDW NT $263 ea
The 235/35 is closer to the stock diameter, almost exact. However, it's 10mm wider... might rub on full lock. The 235/35 is pretty short on sidewall height. If you are buying from that guy, get him to say they won't rub, then he can replace them if they do at no charge.

In the 40 series the 215 is almost exact. The 225 is .6" larger diameter... not too bad either and gets you a tiny bit more sidewall.

If you're going mail order, I'd go with the 225... but I'm a conservative guy.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
gm

New wheels/tires arrived.... so far so good! It's to cold & the tires are to new to push much in turns (34 degrees) but I will be able to push them a bit this week since it's suppose to be in the 50's-60's.

Mostly want to see if there is any rubbing which from the looks of it I should be fine.

I went with the Pilot Super Sports, impressed with the ride, thought it was going to be a lot stiffer but it isn't. Hopefully post some pics in the near future

Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
New wheels/tires arrived.... so far so good! It's to cold & the tires are to new to push much in turns (34 degrees) but I will be able to push them a bit this week since it's suppose to be in the 50's-60's.

Mostly want to see if there is any rubbing which from the looks of it I should be fine.

I went with the Pilot Super Sports, impressed with the ride, thought it was going to be a lot stiffer but it isn't. Hopefully post some pics in the near future
What size did you end up with?

FYI - my Pilots were pretty squirmy until I had a few hundred miles on them.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
gm

I went with 225-40-18's

I have been using Blizzac W60's since December for some stupid reason (it's been so warm, killed my snow tires) thus the S. Sports feel quite good!!! I did a easy 2nd gear roll on & they both just spun.... but I expected that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in