Koni Shock part # for Viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Koni Shock part # for Viggen

Ok so what is the part number for Viggen Koni shocks?
I'm trying to compare prices online but every site that carries them states that the Viggen and Aero are excluded from fitment. Even the Koni website is lacking information. I plan on buying it through GS, but now i'm more curious as to why I can't find a part $.

Are all Viggen owners using regular 9-3 ones? I'm missing something here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NeedForSwede; 02-15-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #2

Well it doesn't really matter I guess since it looks like GS has the cheapest prices for the shocks anyway...still a little weird why it can't be found anywhere. My guess is we use the same ones as 9-3's anyway but idk why it's specifically saying excluding viggens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Elder

I beleive nick was the one that worked with koni to make sure they fit the vig. Make sure they are in stock before you believe prices.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Edit: Looks like there is a strut/knuckle for the Viggen. But, I think the only difference is to accommodate the larger driveshaft unit on the back side. I think anyone using the Koni's just uses the standard 9-3 unit.

Check Import Replacement Parts | Import Performance & OEM Parts for prices. They ship for free. When I wanted to order mine, everyone was out of stock on Konis with no delivery date specified (though they most all showed them in-stock). GS was useless. I called importrp and they called Koni directly (where they were in stock), ordered a set and shipped them to me at no charge. FWIW, their web site isn't great, just call them and give them the Koni numbers from the Koni site.

Last edited by BobSabbert; 02-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

I emailed GS on Thursday and left a voicemail late Friday but haven't heard back given it's the weekend. Hopefully after the holiday, I get an answer. I ordered the Eibach Pro Kit already so the shocks are next. I'd like to give GS my business since I plan on buying some other stuff from them anyway while I'm doing my suspension.

If the Koni's are out of stock and will take a while to show up, then I may get the B8 Bilsteins.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
WSW
Elder

Viggen steering knuckles differ from regular 93 ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Since there's only one strut aka steering knuckle housing available for the 9-3 / Viggen, there's only one Koni needed. The only difference with the Viggen would be that it's stiffer to handle the stiffer springs.

Check Import Replacement Parts | Import Performance & OEM Parts for prices. They ship for free. When I wanted to order mine, everyone was out of stock on Konis with no delivery date specified (though they most all showed them in-stock). GS was useless. I called importrp and they called Koni directly (where they were in stock), ordered a set and shipped them to me at no charge. FWIW, their web site isn't great, just call them and give them the Koni numbers from the Koni site.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #7

I think it's only the portion regarding the axle that actually differs though...Otherwise I believe it's the same, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
I think it's only the portion regarding the axle that actually differs though...Otherwise I believe it's the same, but I could be wrong.
I edited my post above... there is a different knuckle, but it varies only where the driveshaft butts up against the back of it. The strut portion is the same.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
If the Koni's are out of stock and will take a while to show up, then I may get the B8 Bilsteins.
I wouldn't make that decision based on stock availability at GS. Call the folks I mentioned and have them check on availability from Koni. GS isn't so great when things are not in stock IME.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Elder

The set of Koni's in my Viggen right now (and for that matter, the Eibachs too) came off of an SE. Everything appeared to be the same, no issues or fitment differences that I could see.

Buy from Genuine Saab if you can, as time goes on, it'll be his shop (and other smaller places) that help us keep our cars running and viable as real useable vehicles, vs something that's stuck in a museum that people gawk at "Hey look at the front wheel drive chassis on that, what is it, Vaggan, I can almost see it bending in front of me right now" "Yes son, that's how they used to design things as Saab, back when they were in business and tried to sell new cars".
Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #11

Ya, I figure it's going to be a tough road for Saabers so if I can help out some way, I will. Buying new parts instead of waiting for people to sell their used ones is one way I suppose lol.

PS has anyone done the Bushing Kit? Am I retarded because I can't find where the front outer ARB bushing go included in the kit...
Anyone know which this is on the eeuro diagram?
It looks like the Stanchion bushings remain stock so I'll order 2 of those brand new. Same goes for the front arb bushing.
I'm trying to create a list of everything I'll need to replace.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Look on the gs install page and it shows where the bushings go

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold

Last edited by VWSAABVT; 02-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #13

I don't think the one I'm questions is shown.

It might be used with the swaybar end links though.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
The kit comes with the bushings for control arm to subframe, control arm to stanchion arm and sway bar endlink bushings.

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
WSW
Elder

Quote:
Ya that's what I meant by it
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Buy from Genuine Saab if you can, as time goes on, it'll be his shop (and other smaller places) that help us keep our cars running and viable as real useable vehicles,...
I wanted to buy from too. When it came time to buy my Koni's I called them.

Conversation went something like this:
Me: "Do you have Koni's in stock to my 2002 9-3"
GS: "Let me check"... "No, we just placed an order with Koni and we didn't order any".
Me: "So will you be ordering them soon?"
GS: "I can't say".
Me: "How often do you order?"
GS: "When we need stock".
Me: "So when will you place the order for the 9-3 shocks?".
GS: "I don't know, call us in a week or two and we should know".

That's when I found importRP.com. Called them up. Conversation went like this.

Me: "Do you have Koni's in stock to my 2002 9-3"
RP: "They look out of stock here, but we have other warehouses. Let me check".
RP (moments later): "They are not in stock at our warehouses. I will call Koni and see if they are available to order. I will call you back as soon as I find out".

20 minutes later they call back

RP: "They have them at Koni. If you are in a hurry I can have them drop shipped to you within a week. Or, I can have them shipped to us and we can ship them to you within two weeks with free shipping".

Guess who I ordered from. Did I mention that the price was lower to boot?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Has anybody tried calling koni directly? These days i call b&G directly when i need springs,,

I havent compared prices, but here is the koni link for normal 9-3s

Koni North America - ITT -2000 Saab 9-3 Catalog Search

Edit, Genuine saab sells koni products for less than koni does,, Go nick!

Last edited by mike d; 02-20-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #18

Koni told me they don't make a Viggen shock but Nick guarantees his will work. It sounded like he may have modified them...I'm not positive but that's what I got out of it when he said "The shocks we have worked on..."

Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
I think I read somewhere that the shocks are the same for the regular 9-3 and Viggen, but Koni has never put them in a Viggen so they do not list them as fitting.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #20

I would ask if someone who has bought them recently could post up a part number but over half the community buys them used lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in