Sylvania Silver Star ZXE's - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Sylvania Silver Star ZXE's

i'm not sure if any of you guy's have seen these at your local auto parts store but they work awesome.

didn't feel like doing the HID/projector conversion just yet on either of my cars so i decided to give these a try since I've always loved Sylvania Silverstars, even though they usually last just a year.

they look like hid bulbs and don't blind oncoming traffic

check it out this may be something you guys might want to go with as an alternative..

The secret to the bulb’s ultra-white light output is in the product’s chemical makeup. The exterior features a cobalt blue tint and mirrored tip. The blue hue is a result of a nanotechnology infused coating, which enables a state-of-the-art application allowing for a greater transmission of light output. The mirrored tip – comprised of precious metals – was designed to add to the overall appearance of the bulb when it’s unlit as it complements the jewel-like appearance of the headlight assembly.

Inside, the proprietary blend of Xenon and Halogen gases fuel the bulb, producing the desired transmission of light that competes with that of HID. This blend – in combination with the nanotechnology coating – enabled SYLVANIA to create the whitest possible light in the SilverStar® High Performance Series of headlight products.

SYLVANIA SilverStar® ZXE Product Line Explodes Onto the Scene
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #2

Lots of folks here have used them over the past 5 years or so.

They're definitely brighter, but tend to burn out faster...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #3

5 years..? they just came out probably at most 6 months ago..

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

Sorry....thought you meant SilverStars in general...
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I just snag all the bulbs I can from the junkard. Seems the all poly engine mounts like to kill them rather quickly (Yes I clean the bulbs before installation).
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post

they look like hid bulbs and don't blind oncoming traffic
What's the point of upgrading if you can't be a douchebag and blind oncoming traffic?

On a more serious note... let us know how long they last. Most of these bulbs go fairly fast, making them a very bad investment.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The whiter color is giving the illusion that they produce more light.

Until someone shows me a lumen output comparison with a stock wattage aftermarket bulb (Silverstars) showing higher amounts, I will continue telling people not to waste their money.

FWIW I have 5k DDM HID's in projector housings. Nothing throws more light than a similar combination. Its also nice not blinding every other motorist.

Also, Silverstars last like 15mins.

-edit-

Holy shit, did I just seriously read that these cost $59.99 a set? Good luck with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #8

Yea, when you can get the retrofit kits these days and be in for ~$200 and a couple hours of work, there's just no point to these kinds of bulbs. $60, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Will never buy these again.

I was unaware that AdvanceAuto decided to carry nothing but Sylvannia, and I was looking for something similar to my old Hellas, so I found myself buying these. Before I even left the store, I was on my phone checking reviews, but because they were so new, the data was limited. Opinions seemed either to be "these are great" or "these blow wang".

They blow wang. Granted, they look awesome -- to everyone else, since you're in the car and don't see them. Or anything else for that matter, because the light output was not that impressive. Honestly, my cheap-o xtravisions in my trunk provide more "useful" light, especially in nighttime rain/snow.

Oh right, and one burned out in less than a month. And obviously, I received no refund.

I have my doubts about all this "nanotechnology" shit Sylvannias spewing about these. I think they're just another set of over-priced blue-tinted junk.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, just my two cents.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #10

I'm cool with them. . had them about 2-3 months now. . no complaints (knock on wood).. just hoping they will get me to mayish..but i'll be doing HID conversions soon when my funds recoup from a lot of new stuff under my 9000.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #11

I perffer to stick with my $35 10k hid kit that has been flawless.

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE

Last edited by StoneSilver; 02-02-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesilver93se View Post
10K?! LOL. Yay purple.

I myself use the Osram Night Breakers with e-code lenses. It's a damn good combo.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesilver93se View Post
Thanks for blinding everyone else on the road.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
10K?! LOL. Yay purple.
No purple just really blue, you start to get to a purple tint past 12k

Quote:

Last edited by StoneSilver; 02-02-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #15

When I want to see blue, pink and red lights, I'll go to a fucking disco.

Keep that shit off the road. Bugs the fuck out of me.

What the fuck is wrong with regular fucking light? It's good enough to power the fucking planet; why isn't it good enough for your $1,500 car?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #16

What's amazing to me is that the people with 10k+ think it makes the car look good, when really it just pisses people off.

Edit: Anything over 6k actually looks pretty ridiculous, especially if it's just scattered all over the road. Owners of late 90's chevy trucks are the worst offenders around here - yea, your Tahoe on 24's looks great with those purple lights, real hard look you got there.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
When I want to see blue, pink and red lights, I'll go to a fucking disco.

Keep that shit off the road. Bugs the fuck out of me.

What the fuck is wrong with regular fucking light? It's good enough to power the fucking planet; why isn't it good enough for your $1,500 car?
^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
What's amazing to me is that the people with 10k+ think it makes the car look good, when really it just pisses people off.

Edit: Anything over 6k actually looks pretty ridiculous, especially if it's just scattered all over the road. Owners of late 90's chevy trucks are the worst offenders around here - yea, your Tahoe on 24's looks great with those purple lights, real hard look you got there.
^and this

And, what pisses me off is they think it's actually improving their ability to see the road at night.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #18

I just re-read whet I wrote...

Good lord, I sound constipated.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #19

fine fine fine, ill switch to 6k is that good enough for you guys, jesus

Quote:
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
What the fuck is wrong with regular fucking light? why isn't it good enough for your $1,500 car?
And the 10k's arent in the saab, they are in the DSM

Quote:

Last edited by StoneSilver; 02-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in