9-3 vert questions & 4/500bhp - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

9-3 vert questions & 4/500bhp

I'm looking into getting a 9-3 vert again. EVERYONE has advised against it and go for a 3 door as I want to run some big power, but I really fancy a very fast convertible before any kids come along! Has anyone here got a GT30 or Holset turbo'd 9-3 Vert? How much does going above 450-500bhp effect the handling on the car? Cheers, Dave

Stage 1 9-3 vert...alive....& too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #2

I think JZW went this route initially and has a lot of great stories....I think he might stil have his vert as a DD, but I know he leaves it home for any serious driving. Shoot him a message...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
Moosepuck, a member here, also had a vert with a 2.3 and holset. 400whp and 500wtq I believe.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
thanks guys for not bringing up my name*
i have a vert... handling is not compromised if you drive normal
but do you really wanna go that fast with no roof over your head? (just a piece of fabric held by tooth picks)

you have a little more weight to lug around since it's a vert
doing all your suspension upgrades help (especially the 6-point)
but in essence, it will not feel as solid as a roof being over your head

roof down and 400whp is fun as hell though

if you guys with the hardtops think you can hear your turbo... well think again
with the top down, that turbo sounds like it's in the passenger's seat just screaming weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! pshhhh!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! pshhh!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

I've seen a few that have caught my eye. Gutted about my 9k as it's been great but needs a load of cash thrown at it to get it looking half decent again, rusty bits fixed, resprayed, couple mechanical issues and then the next turbo upgrade....just feel its not worth it and best to cut my losses now then stick what I can into the 9-3.

I've found loads of T7 engined cars but not as many T5 ones...will keep looking, plenty of time to find the right one!

slow
Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

'vert, warm Summer night, turbo whining, cute girl by your side

'nuff said
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Send a message via Skype™ to Tap804
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
thanks guys for not bringing up my name*
i have a vert... Handling is not compromised if you drive normal
but do you really wanna go that fast with no roof over your head? (just a piece of fabric held by tooth picks)

you have a little more weight to lug around since it's a vert
doing all your suspension upgrades help (especially the 6-point)
but in essence, it will not feel as solid as a roof being over your head

roof down and 400whp is fun as hell though

if you guys with the hardtops think you can hear your turbo... Well think again
with the top down, that turbo sounds like it's in the passenger's seat just screaming weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Pshhhh!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! Pshhh!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
pure adrenalin
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Picking my new (to me anyway!!) 9-3 SE Sport Vert up tomorrow!

Can't wait!

slow
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Sexy

And yeah, there's nothing like top-down cruising. Even with my little TD-04 I can hear the turbo scream a LOT better topless.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
TSLMember

They're sweet for all the above reasons, but a little flexy. Depending on your roads, they can bring out the creeky noises more too, which is annoying but really have little to do with the power.

It IS a bit more of a handful with the power. My Quaife REALLY pulls through the corner, you have to back off the steering input under power, more so than when it was around 320hp.

Sounds like a jet with the top down. Viva la Vig Vert

(E85 3071, full susp/bracing/brakes etc. Nick's handy work)

Last edited by HawaiianSAAB; 02-08-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in