Before the ecu project ? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Before the ecu project ?

How do the likes of Nordic and maptun etc... tune their ecu's ?

How did they get their maps?

Is it just like the ecu project?

Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
ive opened up old sqr ecus and found pins sodered in,, so they were using a bdm....

besides that, they probably had some editing software,, maybe hijacked from saab, maybe built,, who knows
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
ive opened up old sqr ecus and found pins soldered in,, so they were using a bdm....

besides that, they probably had some editing software, maybe hijacked from saab, maybe built,, who knows
Story is that some T5/7 know-how was leaked/stolen from Saab in the beginning. It was rudimentary and it's obvious in looking at the older tunes-basically boost cut removed and HOT maps with some higher boost numbers.
Dilemma and JZW and Nick have seen some horror shows; I'm sure they'll chip in.
-cm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
it's obvious in looking at the older tunes-basically boost cut removed and HOT maps with some higher boost numbers.
yea, ive seen some not good things on earlyer ecus,, i think they have shaped up in recent years..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Elder

i suggest this topic be avoided, before it brings out the usual shit storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
yeah ive often wonder How/who cracks these codes
Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Elder

It's not any different from reverse engineering the software in any controller, we do it at work all the time to retrofit production machinery. You just have to figure out how to get the programs in and out, and how to read them.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
i suggest this topic be avoided, before it brings out the usual shit storm.
I didn't want to start any arguments.
Just curious if the big tuning company's have their own version of the ecu project.

Please lets all be grown ups
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
I didn't want to start any arguments.
Just curious if the big tuning company's have their own version of the ecu project.

Please lets all be grown ups
It's just got a long history, due to actions by some people and threats by others.

Some of the originally big companies had inside info right out of Saab, that's how it basically all started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

... and Saab likely made MORE money because of it and even got into the market themselves in the end. So, it's all good.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
lms

Before ecu project who really knows..... But you had a few shops/people like nordic, maptun, sqr and then….. Jak. If you got a tune by Nordic/Nick and you didn't like it, you would send it back to Nick, Nick would send it across seas and you would wait. If you wanted a tune by sqr/maptun, you bought a tune and that was that, good f-ing luck. Now here comes the fun part... There once was a man named Jak who watched a man named Frank tune cars, thus Jak became a tuner, or tried. If you didn’t like jaks tunes, he would re-map and you would have a new one in a week. Now, there is a man called john, who once knew a man named Jak and watched jak tune cars, etc...
Man, there were some good threads way back when, complete shit storms.
Oh yeah, forgot about Frank (sqr). Frank would fly over with two of his cronies and if you had the cash because no one was doing this, he would spend about three hours road tuning your car after you had all the parts put on yourself. He was a long haired, nose in the air type of guy if you didn't know him, thought his shit didn't stink, so to speak. He was considered a god way back-when, in the saab tuning world.
Ok, so how do I know how this works, well I really don't, but I had a tune by Nordic which did not work; nick sent it back to Nordic, three months later I had another. I had a tune by jak, did not like it and two tunes later, it worked great. I now have a road tune by Frank, which could probably be made better, but it works for my needs and has for 5 years, yes I'm one of the lucky ones.
This is all hear-say, and anything I just wrote means nothing.

Last edited by lms; 01-14-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Elder

i like your use of the word "watch"

i miss frank, he was fun.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #13

..... and now you have Ecu project where everyone watches everyone tune cars thus everyone is Tunning cars lol. End story!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #14

I remember back when this discussion first started there was mention of a programmer who had somehow gained access(reverse engineered?) to the Saab ECU's and would sell you his software for a premium. It was, at that time, believed that this person was responsible for Nordic, Maptun etc. Hirsch had always been factory approved, so to speak, so it is likely they were given software directly from Saab.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #15

MMMmmmm...., I see how this topic could be a bit "delicate".
I get the picture
Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9000aero View Post
..... and now you have Ecu project where everyone watches everyone tune cars thus everyone is Tunning cars lol. End story!
and many more people are blowing up motors

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #17

This thread isn't about who 's tunes are best/safer. More about how we got to where we are in the saab tuning world. Less about who is blowing what up or what tuner is the best blah blah blah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in