Springs and strut mounts - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Springs and strut mounts

I did a quick search and didnt see much along these lines...so heres the deal:

I, like most NG900 owners, have broken a ton of stock front springs through normal driving. In addition I recently installed Bilstein HD's all around along with new strut mounts. The stock new strut mounts are too soft to perform well with the bilsteins. I was hoping someone was offering a beefier strut mount by now but I have not seen one. I would like to install some better springs and either maintain my stock ride height or increase it slightly.

If I have to go the route of making my own strut mounts then i will just build them to accomodate a commonly sized coil over spring or circle track spring so i have plenty of options for heights and rates. I would prefer to just buy the parts for ease of life. any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

nick makes poly filled strut mounts for our cars. I had them for a while on my car and they worked very well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwJet View Post
nick makes poly filled strut mounts for our cars. I had them for a while on my car and they worked very well

"nick": is that his username? thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyswede View Post
"nick": is that his username? thanks for the heads up.
NICK refers to... go to genuinesaab.com and he makes them available for you to purchase...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
NICK refers to... go to genuinesaab.com and he makes them available for you to purchase...
ok, I already shot them an email earlier today. thanks for the heads up. New to this forum...don't know the regulars.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The poly-filled strut mounts that GS currently offers is only for the 9-3. Not sure if they will custom fill your NG mounts...I know I was wishing they had them when I did my suspension overhaul last summer.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
WSW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveiron9688 View Post
The poly-filled strut mounts that GS currently offers is only for the 9-3. Not sure if they will custom fill your NG mounts...I know I was wishing they had them when I did my suspension overhaul last summer.
This, for some reason Nick only makes them for 93s..I sense biase due to him owning a Viggen
Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
The NG mounts could be "filled" just as the OG mounts that Nick does. I often wonder why he hasn't offered this as a product yet. Figured there wasn't enough demand, or maybe there is not as much rubber bushing in the NG strut mount as there is in the OG one.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
SAABeginner

I know when I contacted them about a year ago they said they would do a 900 mount kit after they finished the 9-3. If they don't have anything available then I will go back to my original plan and machine/have machined a set using a uniball or poly and allowing the use of a 2.5" spring.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
I did a quick search and didnt see much along these lines...so heres the deal:

I, like most NG900 owners, have broken a ton of stock front springs through normal driving.

... I would like to install some better springs and either maintain my stock ride height or increase it slightly.
Actually, I don't think I've heard of anyone breaking an NG900 front spring. The 9-3's break due to corrosion, but not the NG's. Are you installing new zinc plates at the bottom to stop the galvanic reaction? Mounts break, but not springs usually. Perhaps your modus operandi is different than the rest of us.

I think you need to go with custom springs to go higher, or maybe solve the whole problem with a custom coilover: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220412

Last edited by BobSabbert; 01-09-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Actually, I don't think I've heard of anyone breaking an NG900 front spring. The 9-3's break due to corrosion, but not the NG's. Are you installing new zinc plates at the bottom to stop the galvanic reaction? Mounts break, but not springs usually. Perhaps your modus operandi is different than the rest of us.

I think you need to go with custom springs to go higher, or maybe solve the whole problem with a custom coilover: my coilover install - SaabCentral Forums
I had a broken spring on my '98 NG. The front left spring was busted in two locations...one of the primary reasons for my suspension overhaul last summer

And it was a corrosion issue...I think I posted pics of what that strut assembly looked like in a different thread- it was rusting away through the spring "cup" very badly, almost to the point where the spring could have broken through.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
I had a broken spring on my '98 NG. The front left spring was busted in two locations...one of the primary reasons for my suspension overhaul last summer

And it was a corrosion issue...I think I posted pics of what that strut assembly looked like in a different thread- it was rusting away through the spring "cup" very badly, almost to the point where the spring could have broken through.
Not to thread steal, but was there anything left of the zinc ring when you pulled it apart? Once the ring dissolves, it's steel on steel and rust away time. I'd estimate that those rings are good for about 75K miles based on what I've seen.

The 9-3 strut assembly seems to corrode much faster. My 9-3 struts looked worse at 75K than my NG900 at 150K.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
SAABeginner

The coils I have had break were scanwest I think. Black painted so not sure if they were galvanized. The ends break off the spring where the winding curls into a smaller spring at the mounts. It has happened in the summer and winter. I have been able to fish the ends out and just drive the car though it sits a touch lower. I have heard of others with 900's and 9-3's having the spring failure issue to. Either way the stock springs do not work well with the bilstein HD's which also do not work well with the stock strut mounts. There is too much movement with the rubber.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
I think you need to go with custom springs to go higher, or maybe solve the whole problem with a custom coilover: my coilover install - SaabCentral Forums
That looks like a lot of work. My thought is that the stock strut unit can be used with a couple of aluminum adapters. One mounted on top with either a urethane bushing or bronze or monoball, an aluminum cap to fit on a 2.5" spring, and another machined to adapt a spring as a locator on the bottom of the strut. Install the appropriate strut and spring.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Not to thread steal, but was there anything left of the zinc ring when you pulled it apart? Once the ring dissolves, it's steel on steel and rust away time. I'd estimate that those rings are good for about 75K miles based on what I've seen.

The 9-3 strut assembly seems to corrode much faster. My 9-3 struts looked worse at 75K than my NG900 at 150K.
No zinc ring on either side as far as I could tell. About 150k miles on the suspension when I took it apart.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
No zinc ring on either side as far as I could tell. About 150k miles on the suspension when I took it apart.
There's a part known as the "spacer", which is really a zinc ring that is supposed to corrode (like a galvanized coating, it gives itself up instead of the steel doing so). See this graphic, it's part # 31 and fits on the bottom of the spring. THe top of the spring is isolated by rubber.

http://data.eeuroparts.com/Images/di...df3f1458cd.gif
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
That looks like a lot of work. My thought is that the stock strut unit can be used with a couple of aluminum adapters. One mounted on top with either a urethane bushing or bronze or monoball, an aluminum cap to fit on a 2.5" spring, and another machined to adapt a spring as a locator on the bottom of the strut. Install the appropriate strut and spring.
That will work, but only within the limits of how much the strut can extend upward. There's not a lot of extra room in that direction before it will be topped out. Not sure exactly how much... never measured.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #18
SAABeginner

Quote:
That will work, but only within the limits of how much the strut can extend upward. There's not a lot of extra room in that direction before it will be topped out. Not sure exactly how much... never measured.
I have had the struts apart several times when changing springs. I need to pull another one apart and take measurements and get a better idea for how to set everything up. It has been on my mind for a while but has not made it to the front of the project line.

I should note that i don't want to increase the travel of the strut I just want to be able to run a slightly stiffer spring so that stock ride height is maintained or sag is slightly reduced....vs installing shorter street springs. In the old 900's we installed spring spacers which effectively increased the preload on the springs with a result of slightly taller ride height....often done with SPG springs or shorter aftermarket higher rate springs...works great for setting an older car up for driving on rougher roads and winter use.

Last edited by Crazyswede; 01-11-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
SAABeginner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I have had the struts apart several times when changing springs. I need to pull another one apart and take measurements and get a better idea for how to set everything up. It has been on my mind for a while but has not made it to the front of the project line.

I should note that i don't want to increase the travel of the strut I just want to be able to run a slightly stiffer spring so that stock ride height is maintained or sag is slightly reduced....vs installing shorter street springs. In the old 900's we installed spring spacers which effectively increased the preload on the springs with a result of slightly taller ride height....often done with SPG springs or shorter aftermarket higher rate springs...works great for setting an older car up for driving on rougher roads and winter use.
Yeah, I could see that route working. Another choice would be to jsut find a local guy who winds springs and take it up a notch on the wire gauge and maybe down a notch on the number of coils but keep the length the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in