Non-Newb Starting Problems... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Non-Newb Starting Problems...

I'm in the process of tuning my car to stage 5/6; replete with deka 630's.
When it was warmer out the car started instantly and ran well but extremely rich. I left it to sit for 3 weeks or so and when returned popped a new battery and ECU in it. It cranks and sputters and sometimes chugs, but will not start and run. I put a known working ECU in and still no dice. It reeks of fuel and when I remove the plugs I can see vaporized fuel in the combustion chamber. I also have full spark and a new DIC. New CPS and new TPS.
My current theories are that I need new plugs, that water is in the gas, or the pre-injection fuel delivery map is scaled too heavily for colder weather and is thus injecting waaaaaaay too much fuel. I'm off to get starting fluid and new plugs. Will report back.
What say you wise gentlemen of an extinct brand?
-Cm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

"When it was warmer out the car started instantly and ran well but extremely rich."

When you factor in cold start enrichment and pre-injection, you're going from extremely rich to richer than bill gates. You need to adjust your maps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Since the stock ECU thinks that the stock injectors are still in the engine, it is keeping them open for the right amount of time but the larger injectors are putting more fuel in than what the ECU wants.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

When I installed the injectors in my car it would hardly idle. The tuner made a few adjustments and after about a few hours of street tuning it ran great. If you put a known good ecu that is not tuned for those injectors then you are out of luck. But since you are tuning this yourself, you will get there. Aren’t there a few tunes on ecu project that will work with those injectors that you can install, and then tweak?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #5

Forgive the dearth of background...
I got it to start right after I posted this by removing the fuse for the fuel pump soit couldn't prime. Notwithstanding, the known working ECU was also tuned for the injectors but had an injector constant of 16 instead of the 15the second one is now. REason being was that the IC of 16 made me bottom out the VE maps and it STILL didn't lean out.
Anyway, the warm up is lumpy and it kinda chugs here and there, but once it warms up it runs decently.
And regarding the tunes on ECU project-most are for 234 engines, and those that aren't have major holes in the programing that makes them a dubious source (Eg the transients, warm up, enrichment, and pre-injection maps are all stock, as are the battery correction tables=heinous newbie error)
Thanks, I'll keep y'all posted,
-Cm
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Forgive the dearth of background...
I got it to start right after I posted this by removing the fuse for the fuel pump soit couldn't prime. Notwithstanding, the known working ECU was also tuned for the injectors but had an injector constant of 16 instead of the 15the second one is now. REason being was that the IC of 16 made me bottom out the VE maps and it STILL didn't lean out.
Anyway, the warm up is lumpy and it kinda chugs here and there, but once it warms up it runs decently.
And regarding the tunes on ECU project-most are for 234 engines, and those that aren't have major holes in the programing that makes them a dubious source (Eg the transients, warm up, enrichment, and pre-injection maps are all stock, as are the battery correction tables=heinous newbie error)
Thanks, I'll keep y'all posted,
-Cm
You should talk with John because I'm pretty sure he had the same issues with maps in regards to warm-up, he may be able to set you straight on these parameters.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #7

I've thought about it, but I think I'll try a little more and see what I can do.
It really is just a matter of spending the time(not to belittle jzw's tuning prowess) and working through the maps.
With Christmas being right around the corner I've been a touch distracted, so I'll probly go at harder after.
-Cm
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #8

The car will not run nicely with IC of 15. Ran the car with older ECU with IC of 16 and when lambda is disabled it runs very well. Then again, I keep screwing myself with variables... in my haste and excitement I accidentally wired the ECU upside down when I was programming it, so 15vdc went to #70 pin side instead of the #1 pin side. The working ECU may also be tweaked because I wired the ground into the signal input ( in my defense, who makes ground grey?)

In reading this it would seem that tying my shoes is the first victory of every day, but alas, I have been struck by "when it rains, it pours" syndrome.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in