T5 cams in a T7 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
SAABeginner

T5 cams in a T7

Hi,

I've two t5 cams. The are of a 9000 b234 I think, but I don't know for sure:

- 911669 Intake
- 911670 Exhaust

Do these fit right in to my 9-3 B205 MY01?

My car has the following tech. specs .
- TD04-HL15 #5
- King Cobra
- Henk 275lh
- Deka 630
- Alu Intercooler
- 3" Downpipe + 2.5" Catback
- EGT Sensor in exhaust manifold
- T7 Suited to about 280HP

Thanks, Arco
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
JZW
Elder

The ones most guys use are the 94-98ng900 or 9000 cams, the little number that is hard to read is the one you want to look at, not the big number that is easy to see. Any turbo 94-98 cams,

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Tnx for the info, these are from a 9000 MY90-MY92 in both turbo and n/a versions of the B234.

Saab 90-92 (ones i've got)
9116690 Intake 8.65 13.0 53.0 - - 246.0
9116708 Exhaust 8.65 - - 50.0 16.0 246.0

Saab 94-00
9145632 Intake 8.65 14.0 46.0 - - 240.0
9145640 Exhaust 8.65 - - 44.0 16.0 240.0

As i can see, the overlap on the 90-92 ones is 29 degrees over 30 for the 94-00 ones. Lift is the same, and the duration is 6 degrees longer on the earlier ones.

So i'm curious why the 94-00 ones should preform better? Maybe because of a bit shorter duration there is a bit lesser lag on low rpm?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

some people mod the older cams to work in the t5 saabs. i think the cam gear is different on the older cams but they will work in the newer saabs t5 and t7 with a diff cam gear. not 100% on this tho

and the older cams have a more aggressive grind from my understanding. but they made a bunch of different cams so go by the numbers andf acts
Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
some people mod the older cams to work in the t5 saabs. i think the cam gear is different on the older cams but they will work in the newer saabs t5 and t7 with a diff cam gear. not 100% on this tho
I believe it's that the cam gears have different offsets, but they will all bolt up to the different cams fine. So if you tried to use cams and cam sprockets from a c900 in a t5 car, the offset on the cam gears would mean your timing chain would not line up properly. But you can just bolt the cam sprockets from the t5 cams onto the older cams and everything should fit, but you don't actually have to modify the actual cam. I think thats how it works at least.

I've never heard of someone wanting to make that swap though.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
SAABeginner

I've put them in, without changing the sprockets.
I just removed the chain tensioner, loosened the sprocket wheels from the cams, while the sprocket wheels where tie-wraped tot the chain.

So I don't know if there are timing issues between these 90-93 "LH" cams vs the T5 cams form 94+, but they did fit in perfectly.

I did adjust my boost calibration a bit in the lower end to let the turbo spool up a bit earlier and the car now pulls much stronger from about 2700rpm till 6400rpm.

I just read in the "cams cams cams" threat that "LH" wheels did not fit in and that the T5 cams from 94+ are needed. But they are both from the same B234 engine. So if there are problems about timing, I please would like to know before my engine blows

I drove about 1000 miles with these cams installed.

Arco
Old 12-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i thought it had to do with head depth, changing the distance of the chain,, so they would always be roughly 4 degrees off

no, they will not blow your motor,, but i just don think they will have as big of performance gain
Old 12-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
SAABeginner

So the question could be, "are there differences between the head hight of a 90-93 B234 and a post 94 B234 head?"

If no, the cams will align perfectly, if yes they are a few degrees off.

Then it's time to find that out
Old 12-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco View Post
So the question could be, "are there differences between the head hight of a 90-93 B234 and a post 94 B234 head?"

Yes, it's different, the distance from crankshaft centerline to to deck surface changed with the introduction of the 1994 series engines. The earlier '91-'93 9000 cams are the same as C900 cams.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

confused

I'm also confused a little on this issue. Last track day I ran early cams and 9000 Aero performed pretty well. However the snappy feeling that my car usually has didn't seem to be there as with the stock t5 cams.
There may be a cam timing issue with just sticking early 9000 cams in 94+ engines. I noticed it mostly in the intake. Switching just the exaust cam worked pretty good without adjusting timing.
I use the 94+ T5 cams in my viggen and they are super, have not tried the older cams in a T7 app.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
SAABeginner

I found out the following facts (did a lookup in EPC),
- The chain has the same part-number from 90 till 97.
- THe chain wheels are the same part-numbers from 90 till 97
- The lower cogwheel is the same part-number

So there are some differences between the two blocks in this matter (head height, distance crankshaft to the deck surface)

As Mike D says, the would be about 4 degrees of, which apparently is no problem, only it doesn't bring full potential, but properly still a gain over the B205 T7 cams. Why would that 4 degree misalignment a problem, what is the result, do the valves open earlier or later?

I do notice a positive difference over my T7 cams, no negative differences so far. What would be the best to do, use adjustable cam gears or just replace them with the proper T5 cams 94+?

Last edited by Arco; 12-26-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in