Koni rear spring solution? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Koni rear spring solution?

So I got koni lowering springs, and i put the rears in (front have been done for about 4 months) and like i was afraid of, the rear end sits lower than i want. What sort of solutions are you guys using to get rid of the rear sag?

Can i run like stiffer shocks or like taller shocks in the rear? Car need to get raised about .5-1" to make it look like its not raked.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
WSW
Elder

Shocks blown? Usually it's the front that's lower than the rear on these cars
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #3

Put in a spacer on the spring like Wrangler guys do. You could raise it up just enough and its easy enough to remove if need be. But I agree with WSW, it might be something else as other cars have sat nice and level with the same kit.

Also, do you have a larger woofer in the trunk or anything heavy?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

You might want to check this thread and see how your heights compare: Height (Spring) Survey - SaabCentral Forums

Second, springs hold the car, shocks just dampen what the springs do (air shocks excepted). If you're too low, then you need to affect a spring solution, not a shock solution. Cutting the fronts might be a choice, although it will further stiffen the front, or custom spacer plates in the rear might help... depends on what's out of whack. See the thread I mentioned above.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #5

Well i mean my fronts have been done for 4 months now, and my back end was sky jacked with me fitting 3-4 fingers between tire and fender arch.

Now im at 2 fingers and i do indeed have subwoofers in the back.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
Shocks blown? Usually it's the front that's lower than the rear on these cars
???? Show me who has a koni kit and is lower in the front than back.

Usually these koni rear springs sag in the back or settle and rest on each other and drop lower in the back than front.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post

Usually these koni rear springs sag in the back or settle and rest on each other and drop lower in the back than front.
I have a 'vert and it's almost level - with the front just a hair lower than the rear. I'll try to take a pic when I'm at my brother's place (don't have a camera) - just don't know exactly when.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
WSW
Elder

Quote:

Im not gona look for you but if youd like you can look for some pics
Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2006...14a.Intrax.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Thats what you dont want! As far as I understand you really cant help that. When the spring compresses like that its all in the spring design and material composition. The only way I understand to fix that is by using a different spring.

Also, having woofers in the back could affect the ride height ever so slightly if they are big enough.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Elder

Welcome to why I tell people not to run the Koni/vogtland springs.

Tons Of people have them and most peoPlenhave the same comPlaint

You could get rubber spring spacers which will fix that height, but you will still have a nearly fully compressed spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
Welcome to why I tell people not to run the Koni/vogtland springs.

Tons Of people have them and most peoPlenhave the same comPlaint

You could get rubber spring spacers which will fix that height, but you will still have a nearly fully compressed spring.
Hmm and where do i find myself rubber spring spaces ?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Hmm and where do i find myself rubber spring spaces ?
Take a photo of your springs first and let us see what they look like compressed.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Eibach rears seem to be the best design as far as not compressing into a pancake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
Eibach rears seem to be the best design as far as not compressing into a pancake.
This.

The Koni/Vogtland springs and the B+G springs drop the rears to an equal road height as the fronts, killing the factory "rake." On the plus side, there's less weight transfer during hard turns because the rear is already sitting lower, so theoretically they should handle better.

But I agree that they make the car look like a toddler with a full diaper. (I have the B+G springs and I'm considering cutting half a turn from the fronts...)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #16

Im not saying my back end sags just saying id like to raise it a bit. It sits level but the second i put something heavy in the back it immediatly sags.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
This.

The Koni/Vogtland springs and the B+G springs drop the rears to an equal road height as the fronts, killing the factory "rake." On the plus side, there's less weight transfer during hard turns because the rear is already sitting lower, so theoretically they should handle better.

But I agree that they make the car look like a toddler with a full diaper. (I have the B+G springs and I'm considering cutting half a turn from the fronts...)
Based on the photos I've seen, they should be using stiffer wire and/or fewer coils. Those things look like they have maybe two live coils left. That's not a suspension, it's a cushioned bumper.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
Elder

Swap them for Eibachs.

Took pic this morning, >100k from another car on these springs

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 12-07-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #19

Is there any where i can buy JUST eibach rear springs?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
Elder

Yeah, definitely not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in