Very Stuck; ECU Project Dead... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Very Stuck; ECU Project Dead...

I posted this at ECU project; got one response really and I'm stuck. I hope that since this has such a greater exposure than ECU project (which has also been rife with glitches) someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Quote:
Recently tuned the car to stg 5 ish with dekka 630's. Injector constant 16, wrote the VE map pretty low;still in the low 11's high 10's. Car runs PERFECTLY for a little while, then throws a CEL for adapt_error and int_error after 10 mins of driving-warmed up or warming up, doesnt matter. I'll clear the codes and the car will give decent boost and run very nicely. Then it starts shimmying in vacuum and will buck BADLY if I get above 0 bar. It'll then settle out and the CEL will show up for 10 seconds and then wink off. After this it'll run low 9's afr wise and I'll have to nurse it home while it shimmy's when transitioning from off throttle to low tps values. If I give it more than a tps of 50 or so, it'll buck _hard_. Check sum is fine, and all systems point to go.

Also, doesn't help that T5 suite wont log and the "start session" button is blocked by afr reading(more a nuisance; trying to click it on the move is nuts).
Thanks a lot for any input, I think I'm going to re write the ECU-the INT error is not promising.
-Cm
Here is the link to the thread so you can download and look at the bin.
If no one still hasn't a clue I can do a play-by-play.
Strange Bucking/shimmying/CEL with stg 5+ tune+RICH! HELP

Thanks for any help-means a lot,
-Cm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
How are your O2 sensors?
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Well, the OE one is just chilling, zip tied to the side of the engine. The LC-1 is brand new and is feeding the OE signal wire with the LC-1 controller simulated narrow band.
Both are brand new.
-Cm

Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

could be map sensor? or maf. ad im sure youve looked tune over
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Well, the OE one is just chilling, zip tied to the side of the engine. The LC-1 is brand new and is feeding the OE signal wire with the LC-1 controller simulated narrow band.
Both are brand new.
-Cm
Were you the one that misfired something? Do you have the narrowband output scaled properly?

Really dumb question, did you unplug the factory O2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

If you adjust the injector constant, you'll have to start over on the VE maps. Granted you have somewhere to start so its not all bad.

What is your cruising A/F? Light Acceleration? Moderate?
Also, if your running rich on the normal VE map, you should lean out the knock map a bit. Your dumping a lot of fuel if the ECU is jumping into that territory.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
Were you the one that misfired something? Do you have the narrowband output scaled properly?

Really dumb question, did you unplug the factory O2?
Sort of; I wired the wideband simulated narrowband into the signal wire input from the factory O2. This means the wideband sensor is supplying the factory "lines" with simulated 0-5 voltage. The factory sensor is still connected, but only for the sake of the heater wires and ground so it doesnt throw a CEL. And yes, I wired the signal wire into the ground for the factory sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyPc View Post
If you adjust the injector constant, you'll have to start over on the VE maps. Granted you have somewhere to start so its not all bad.

What is your cruising A/F? Light Acceleration? Moderate?
Also, if your running rich on the normal VE map, you should lean out the knock map a bit. Your dumping a lot of fuel if the ECU is jumping into that territory.
Cruising afr is ~11. Light acceleration will either dip it briefly to 10.3 or tip it up to around 11.5. I've only done moderate acceleration and that will bring it to 12.5 on the button @ 12 psi.

I've not knocked yet...

I messed with everything on this tune; transitions, enrichment factors, startup values, enleanment factors, etc, etc; will I have to change all of them when I go to a IC of 15? Is 16 supposed to work and I'm failing 'cus I'm a dolt? I was dumb and only drove with lambda control, but even still while cruising in vacuum it is still too rich.

Also,
I don't know how much you guys read, but I have an Int_error and an adapt_error.

Lastly, I was wondering; do you think that since it has run so rich I may have simply fowled the plugs? Or, is this a wasted pursuit as the DIC cleans them after each use.
Thanks,
-Cm
P.S the link for ECU project was so that you could download the map should you be so curious...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #8

Also, by what ratio will dropping from 16 to 15 lean it out?
Thanks,
-Cm
Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #9

You have a perfect storm of problems. Your A/F should be 14-15 cruising, not 11. You only need enrichment when running under load. The Adapt error is probably because the VE map is at its absolute minimum in areas, and the ECU is trying to get the closed loop A/F to swing between 0 and 1V (>14.7 and <14.7). The ECU is constantly updating the black outlined cells and since its detecting a rich condition, its trying to reduce those values but it can't since they're already at the minimum value.

The VE map should not have values less than .60, if you can help it.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
You have a perfect storm of problems. Your A/F should be 14-15 cruising, not 11. You only need enrichment when running under load. The Adapt error is probably because the VE map is at its absolute minimum in areas, and the ECU is trying to get the closed loop A/F to swing between 0 and 1V (>14.7 and <14.7). The ECU is constantly updating the black outlined cells and since its detecting a rich condition, its trying to reduce those values but it can't since they're already at the minimum value.

The VE map should not have values less than .60, if you can help it.
I figured this~ that running with the VE maps at rock bottom would wreak havoc. I know where my AFR should be, I just assumed being the greenhorn that I am that I could correct it with VE maps. Why would an injector constant of 16 not work for me but work for everyone else?
I also understand where the adapt error is from, that much was always clear; why the awful bucking and general crankyness then?
-Cm
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #11

The 630s typically need a injector constant between 14-16. Depends on fuel pressure, how healthy your fuel pump is, ect. The crankyness, well, I'm not sure. I would take a stab and say that when it attempts to adjust the map out of range, it either goes into a "limp" mode or it dumps a lot of fuel to protect the engine.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
The 630s typically need a injector constant between 14-16. Depends on fuel pressure, how healthy your fuel pump is, ect. The crankyness, well, I'm not sure. I would take a stab and say that when it attempts to adjust the map out of range, it either goes into a "limp" mode or it dumps a lot of fuel to protect the engine.
Yes; no limp mode, but definitely it dumps fuel. As was said above, it'll drop to the 9's after it bucks hard and it stays there stubbornly.
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in