How Much Damage...? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

How Much Damage...?

could I have caused? I wired up my LC-1 and got it working despite being quite finicky. However, the car was bucking and putting out adapt errors and "int" errors like crazy. I was befuddled! In returning back to school and thus 300 miles from the car, I realized I accidentally soldered the simulated narrow band of the LC-1 to the GROUND wire of the 4 wire OE sensor, harness side, and left the sensor lead hangin'. I was supposed to solder it to the signal wire, which is black so that the ECU pulled the readings from the wideband that is in my exhaust bung and not the OE narrowband I have zip-tied to the chassis (so it doesnt throw a heater code, and yes I know it can be programed out).

Do you think I messed anything up? The wideband seems to work fine, but whilst trying to auto-tune the car it died right in the middle of the road The car was running in the 10's AFR wise, so I don't think it went lean
I fixed the issue by unplugging the battery for 5 mins.
I can't see it doing harm, but figured I'd ask so I can shell out and buy a damn replacement so the car is running during thanksgiving.
Thanks,
Cm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
JZW
Elder

Auto tune smotto tune, not worth the space it takes up in the file in my opinion.

The only thing that is good is the wide band logging feature that allows tracking by cell location, no auto functions work worth a darn, just log the information and then make corrections manually,

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Elder

If you were feeding a 0-5v signal into the O2 sensor ground line it's possible if fried the grounding transistor on the ECM board, but you won't know until you fix the wiring and try it again. Chances are probably decent that it's fine, but worst case you'll have to get another ECM.

It's also possible it hurt the wideband controller if current was shorting through the ECU.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
If you were feeding a 0-5v signal into the O2 sensor ground line it's possible if fried the grounding transistor on the ECM board, but you won't know until you fix the wiring and try it again. Chances are probably decent that it's fine, but worst case you'll have to get another ECM.

It's also possible it hurt the wideband controller if current was shorting through the ECU.
^Those possibilities are exactly the ones I am worried about. I can't imagine the wideband benefited from such an act of stupidity, but it continued to read, so I assume it's fine
Ugh, I hate stupid mistakes.
and JZW, yeah, I am doing it in cell block regions instead of the autotune function. A little more tedious, but IMHO, there is no sense of security like doing it the old fashioned way.
-Cm
Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

Wait, hold on... isn't the "ground" a return from the sensor? Meaning, isn't the ground that feeds into the ECU designed to take the electricity used heat the sensor? I learned from the maker of the OE sensor that the sensor is NOT a ground to case sensor.
I dunno, I feel, for lack of a better term, the the ECU ground is "designed" for input and not output?
Clarify?
-cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in