3 bar map sensor - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

3 bar map sensor

Hey there SL,
I got to get a 3 bar map sensor.
Where does it go and what does it plug into?

Can you tell I have no idea what ^^^ is

Stay tuned for more stupid questions
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
It goes where ever you want but i put mine where the old one was. You have to do alittle wiring yourself to have it hook up if your getting the GS one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soccerrplyr; 11-10-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #3

You'll be able to find one locally. In Oz, you can likely source one from any of the folks familiar with tuning the Holden Commodore. IIRC, the 3-bar MAP sensor is a standard GM part on some of the higher-output LS engines.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
JZW
Elder

The new map sensor replaces the stock map sensor, its located behind the engine and is attached to the strut brace, has the black silicone line going from the manifold to it to read pressure. The wiring is the same, so line up the new map sensor in the same orientation and then splice in the new map sensor, just cut off one wire at a time to be careful, splice on the new grommet and connector pin, when all 3 connectors are crimped onto the new sensor, you are ready to pull off the old one, two 8mm screws and attach the new one and then carefully plug in the connectors, they are kind of weak, so be careful, but make sure they are seated all the way. I had trouble with this once and ended up using some silicone to keep the wire connectors in the back side of the map sensor. Make sure you push the green grommets full into place to keep moisture out of the connections,

John
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
What are the benifits of running one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWSAABVT View Post
What are the benifits of running one?
i would like to know this too

on honda if you were going to run over 10psi you need to replace the stock map sensor with a bigger one so it reads more boost and ecu can read how much and adjust mixture
Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

It allows you to run higher boost and have your fueling and ignition timing maps scaled up past 22psi. With the stock map sensor, you are saturated at 22psi, it does not read any higher, so when you tune a car with stg 5 or higher, you cannot map the timing and fuel maps past 22psi, this means you have the same timing and fuel at 22psi as you do at 30psi.

You can get it to run ok with stock map sensor, but it does not allow you to scale the timing and fuel all the way up and with the 3 bar map sensor, you can have the correct fuel and timing at 22psi, 25psi and 30psi. With the stock map sensor, you are running in the last column, what ever parameters you set in the last column, that is what its going to run from 22psi and higher.

It also allows you to raise the fuel cut function to 28psi, you cannot go over 20psi or so with the stock map sensor.

You can essentially get better control and more power out of the 3bar system, but you need a turbo that runs in the range that the 3 bar becomes a benefit, ie above 22psi,

John

Last edited by JZW; 11-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
The new map sensor replaces the stock map sensor, its located behind the engine and is attached to the strut brace, has the black silicone line going from the manifold to it to read pressure.
Thanks Guys, That's helped
I don't suppose any one has a picture do they ?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Thanks Guys, That's helped
I don't suppose any one has a picture do they ?

This stock one is a small black box, about half the size of a cigarette pack, attached to the front strut cross brace. In this pic, there's a wire dangling down to connect it to the wiring harness..

Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
This stock one is a small black box, about half the size of a cigarette pack, attached to the front strut cross brace. In this pic, there's a wire dangling down to connect it to the wiring harness
Thanks Mike, I know what you's are talking about now.
So I pretty much just cut the old one off and wire in the new one, huh
Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #11

I've just been out and had a look.
Looks easy enough

Famous last words .... he,he,he
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Because no one said it, and you don't seem to be, umm...an expert I'll say it: you must have a tune to run a 3 bar map sensor. If it even starts without a tune on the 3 bar I'd be impressed. If you got it to run any better than a lobotomized quadriplegic then I'll eat my hat.
Good luck and enjoy the unlocked boost
-Cm
Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Because no one said it, and you don't seem to be, umm...an expert I'll say it: you must have a tune to run a 3 bar map sensor. If it even starts without a tune on the 3 bar I'd be impressed. If you got it to run any better than a lobotomized quadriplegic then I'll eat my hat.
Good luck and enjoy the unlocked boost
-Cm
Thanks for the heads up.
I'm in the process of getting everything together for a stage 5.
I know its sounds stupid but I just had no idea what it was.
I knew it had to be run with a suitable tune. I always wondered what that thing on the strut brace was
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #14

I had my 9ksled running a 3 bar map on a stock tune. It idled like shit but others I could go down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in