Standing Mile-Brian runs 167mph first day - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Standing Mile-Brian runs 167mph first day

My buddy went to the Texas mile last weekend and wanted to test his 1996 ng900 with gt3071wg turbo and E85 tune. He said it was really hot, about 90F every day and they had a 20mph head wind every day. He was able to put down his best time of 167mph in the standing mile and never had a run below 164mph.

It was funny, his girlfriend said went he went up to the line, there were lots of snickers and laughing and, why a Saab and that kind of thing and then he ran down the course, spun the tires in third and the snickers turned into HOLY FLUCK and the like He surprised the hell out of a lot of people and at the end his girl was picking up his time slip and he had run faster than 4 Z06 cars and a Viper, the Viper came over and got his slip, 157mph, he asked, "how fast did the Saab run?" 167mph the tech says, the Viper owner throws down his helmet in disgust and gumbles and walks off madly.

Running the Texas Mile in a Saab is great, going faster than a 10 cylinder Viper in the Texas Mile, PRICELESS

JZ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I must do This! SOON, The Bucket list is so big some times.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

That's two or three levels beyond awesome....

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Elder

That is awesome, sounds like fun.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

Wow...here's the entry list for the most recent run. Apparently he was the first Saab ever to run the event!

https://www.texasmile.net/registrati...view=entrylist
Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

that is fuckin great!!! i love the under rated saabs what gearing was your buddy using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

He did say he was the first Saab to ever run, so that is very cool and he has my interest sparked, just need a gear-box that I can run without maxing out. The 6 speed I have is about 157 maxed at 8k, so I think it would have to be 4.05FD for my race car. I think he said they did a human interest story on him and his car, he donated a kidney to his good friend last year and was unable to go, so that is part of his story.

Brian ran the 4.05 93 gearing with open diff and decent tires. Would have been nice to have some cooler weather and less wind, he said the cross wind was worse than the head wind and really made the car interesting to drive above 150mph. He was at 135mph by the half mile mark and in 5th gear for the entire half mile, that is where hp takes over and aerodynamics play into it. He has some ideas for next year and I would love to go down with him in March and let them see what a 700-800bhp Saab can run.

Almost considering a 2.0 motor that I can rev to 8500rpm and then I could run the 4.45 with viggen 5th,

John
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

that would be very interesting to see

i wonder if just having the viggen front bumper on would increase his top speed? did vigge use the 4.45 or the standard 4.05 in his standing mile?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
I must do This! SOON, The Bucket list is so big some times.
yo were you saying there was a standing mile thing somewhere in VA or something? we should go next year

Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Elder

Dayum, John. That is awesome. Would have loved to have witnessed that. Any vids?

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwJet View Post
yo were you saying there was a standing mile thing somewhere in VA or something? we should go next year
if there is im there to support with my bitch pig (not happy with my car atm)

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
In your avatar pic i seriously always think you have like a giant rubber dildo in your mouth.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega900 View Post
Dayum, John. That is awesome. Would have loved to have witnessed that. Any vids?
I hope so, I gave him my go-pro to take with him, he will bring it over Saturday and I hope there is some good video on it,

John
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
In your avatar pic i seriously always think you have like a giant rubber dildo in your mouth.
lol i always thought it was a clarinet......

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
lmao... I've never wanted to bring it up, but I think the same thing.

Are there other standing mile events like this? Never seen one, would be a blast. I got the Aero to the speed limiter bone stock in "Mexico" but would be fun to see just how long that takes.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #16
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I hope so, I gave him my go-pro to take with him, he will bring it over Saturday and I hope there is some good video on it,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero02 View Post
lmao... I've never wanted to bring it up, but I think the same thing.
thanks guy!*
ive been over this in soo many threads... i was at my girls house just finished the naughty work and was getting dressed
the pic was snapped while i was holding my studded belt in my mouth and buttoning up my pants

Quote:
Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
damn do they know how long it took to get to 167?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #18
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

one mile? lol

Quote:
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
I await your chance at this, John

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
one mile? lol
lol how long in seconds to finish the mile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in