Viggen Stg 4 makes 321BHP at SOC - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Viggen Stg 4 makes 321BHP at SOC

Just got this dyno from one of my customers, he put down 273whp with his Viggen stage 4 at this years SOC even, they did not get any torque readings and were having trouble I guess. With the standard 15% drive train loss that most tuning companies use, that is 321BHP,

GO Viggen,

JZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viggendyno-sae-stg4.jpg (306.1 KB, 50 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
What supporting mods? John with your experience or hell make up a number if ya want, what would the whp be on a 2.0 with the same mods.

Are the pistons in the t7 gonna last at that much whp?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

nice job.... also interested in supporting mods...

most state these engine's are OK until around 300 whp..... I rolled the dice with my viggen as well

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
I eventually cracked #4 between the ring lands on my B205R after crossing 320whp (Dynojet). Of course that was at like 26psi with a 19T. Car still ran great, just blew oil everywhere out the accessory side seal.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #5

lol well 320whp is a substantial amount compared to 270.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I eventually cracked #4 between the ring lands on my B205R after crossing 320whp (Dynojet). Of course that was at like 26psi with a 19T. Car still ran great, just blew oil everywhere out the accessory side seal.
That has been my experience, the motors will run for a while, but it seems the pistons are just weak and its a matter of time before the cylinder pressure will take them out. I put the limit right at 265-270whp.

John
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

Quote:
What supporting mods? John with your experience or hell make up a number if ya want, what would the whp be on a 2.0 with the same mods.

Its the same stg 4 I always do for the viggen or 205R, the mods are 3" exhaust, ETS IC, 3.5FPR, T5 cams, not sure on the inlet pipe, stock or cobra, but that is about it. This same tune made 264whp on another viggen and my stg4 on the 205R has also made 264whp, 95 aero in Denver also made 264whp with Sae numbers.

264whp is about 311bhp, they hold up a while like that, but with the t7 pistons, there is always that chance they could break at some point. Some guys have been running them for over 3 years, but some have not. I have had calls from guys with other tuners at the stg 3 level with a cracked piston. My viggen cracked a piston in the first two days of owning it and I never even tuned it

I feel like you take some inherent risk with a t7 tune and the best thing you can do is put on a new airmass meter and di, make sure fuel pressure is good and then you have the best chance at a long life, but you never really know for sure,

John
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
what was rpm limit? and fuel setup?

and nice tuning JZW
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
That has been my experience, the motors will run for a while, but it seems the pistons are just weak and its a matter of time before the cylinder pressure will take them out. I put the limit right at 265-270whp.

John

Do the pistons usually fail at WOT or will they gradually just fail at anytime after running 270whp for extended times. In your personal opinion / experience
Old 10-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
JZW
Elder

They can fail at any time, even stock, my viggen failed the second day I had it with 104k on it, totally stock. Have seen guys with stg 1 have failures and our dealership had 32 blown motors in one year, Saab came out did a full investigation, claimed 90% were from bad airmass meters, 5% from bad DI's and 5% from people running low grade fuel. The first thing Saab would do with a motor warranty claim is take a fuel sample, if its not at least 91 octane, warranty void...

The t7 pistons are weak, that is the bottom line,

John
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I remember watching that car run. Temps/humidity weren't doing him any favors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
They can fail at any time, even stock, my viggen failed the second day I had it with 104k on it, totally stock. Have seen guys with stg 1 have failures and our dealership had 32 blown motors in one year, Saab came out did a full investigation, claimed 90% were from bad airmass meters, 5% from bad DI's and 5% from people running low grade fuel. The first thing Saab would do with a motor warranty claim is take a fuel sample, if its not at least 91 octane, warranty void...

The t7 pistons are weak, that is the bottom line,

John

This.

Most of the initial round of B235R failures were on completely stock vehicles. You can take the usual precautions and change the AMM every 50-60K miles, and always run premium, and it's stil going to be a crapshoot.

The only issue is how much fun you have while waiting.

T5 piston on the right, T7 on the left. Notice the smaller distance between piston crown and first ring...

Old 10-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #13

lol this conversation always makes me want to sell my car.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
lol this conversation always makes me want to sell my car.
hang on to it.

B205R has a lower compression ratio than the B235R.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
what was rpm limit? and fuel setup?

and nice tuning JZW
6200 rpm-ish, 3.5bar, Walbro255, matched RCEng 550cc/min. Fueling was spot on, not too agressive w/timing. It just broke.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
If I had known it was going to be so close at SOC.. Without the ringers like Eds 2.5Ltr.. Might have not turned Barbs Vig down so much.. I left a little on the table since she track days it.

2.0 just takes a bit more BMEP (Cylinder pressure in the simplest terms) to make the same ground torque. But they have lower compression to accommodate the higher boost. (keeping away from knock limit)

Most of the brken cars are bad MAF> still many don't know how to check them. Shop just replaces motor..

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in