Saab 9-3 Aero Project... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Saab 9-3 Aero Project...

Hello everyone, I thought now would be as good a time as any to start my project thread on here for my recently aquired purchase so here goes....

After a lengthy period of thinking about buying a car to have a bit of a project with i finally decided earlier this year to go down the Saab route, I decided on a 9-3 98-02 Model as a base car and began looking on Saab forums and the usual places. I didnt really know what 9-3 to go for but preferred the look of the Viggen or the later Aero models.

Anyway i spotted a Viggen i liked the look of, Went to view it and it had a missfire on the test drive. I was a little put off and gave up looking but with the money burning a whole in my pocket i ended having one last fling and buying a Honda Integra Type R.

I was made a good offer on the Integra and so i let it go and again began trawling the for sale ads for a replacement but struggled to get inspired by anything, I started looking at Saabs again and decided i would be more patient this time and wait for the right car to come up.......And it did

Im quite particular when it comes to condition and so im hard work when buying a car as it has be upto scratch bodywork wise before ill even consider buying it. Unbelievably the Saab i bought was located at a small car dealers in Sheffield and was about five mins drive from my work so i had nothing to loose by viewing it, It had only been on the Autotrader website one day when i went to view it and was priced very low IMO for what it was. Anyway i went to look at the car and was very impressed with how clean it was, It was advertised as a standard car but has obviously been previously enthusiast owned as it has a few choice extras fitted which the dealer didnt know about....And ofcourse i didnt tell him. Anyway i test drove it, Handed my money over and these rest is history.

Heres the current spec of the car as it is at the moment which is a bit weedy but will no doubt be changing very soon...

Car:

2001 Saab 9-3 Aero, Manual Geabox, Laser Red 3 Door coupe, Currently on 62K miles.

Engine:

Standard B205R engine, T7 Suite Stage 3 software, Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with sports cat and oval tailpipe, Forge FM007 Recirc dump valve.

Chassis/Suspension:

Bilstein B8 Shock absorbers, Steering rack clamp and brace, 6 point subframe brace, Eibach lowering springs -30mm, 14 Piece Powerflex Polybush kit.

Brakes

308mm Front brake upgrade, Pagid brake discs allround, EBC brake pads all round, Goodridge braded brake hoses, High perfromance DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Exterior:

Standard Aero alloys powdercoated Anthracite, 225/45R17 94Y Toyo T1R tyres allround, Smoked side repeaters, Shark fin roof aerial, Now fully debadged.

Interior:

Standard facelift Aero interior, OpenSID, Standard CD head unit with uprated Alpine speakers.

Long term plans:

Ive got many plans for this car and ive been planning/scheming my options for quite a while now so i know roughly what i want to achieve in the long term. I want to do a bit at a time on the car but not because of money but rather i want to enjoy the car and see it progress in which case i will not get bored of it as quickly as i would buying car already done.

Ive already removed the sump and checked for sludge which was all clear then gave it an engine service with 5w30 Castrol Edge, Air filter, Fuel filter, Pollen filter and NGK PFR6H-10 plugs.

Ultimately i want a reliable fast road car that doesnt cost the earth, It is still going to retain its interior and be a comfy car which is nice to drive daily but quick enough to give some expensive machinery a hard time. Thats my end goal and i know this car will give it to me.

I spent a few hours cleaning and detailing the car a few weeks back and and heres a few pics of the car....

Many thanks for reading the above, Sorry if ive rambled on.

Last edited by bonelorry; 11-05-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Update:

Just to update my current progress with the car, Ive been on UKSaab forum for a while and ive got some catching up to do on this forum with regards to the above post and updates

Big thanks to my Saabnut friend Rich, Who sorted out OpenSID a few weeks ago and fitted a Pbus connector for quick ECU access, After about an hour of WOT runs (on a private road) and checking the loggings etc we decided to turn things up a bit and the car is now circa Stage 3.

Ive also been collecting a few parts including....

A brand new set of Bilstein B8 dampers and full Powerflex bushing kit.

A 9-5 Aero gearbox with bigger QDH8J Quaife LSD fitted and a pair of Viggen driveshafts Just need a Viggen intermediate shaft and a spare 9-3 casing to put it in then ive got a full Viggen set up with bigger C.V's etc.

A complete T7 head, B234 bottom end, T7 sump, Timing chain cover and some T5 cams for my engine build and an Intercooler kit with 600mm x 300mm x 75mm core.

Got many more plans on the horizon including tyres, Brakes and rebuilding the B234/B235 engine....

Then ive got to decide on what turbo to go for
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Beauty. Not fair having a 2dr 9-3 tho.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Beauty. Not fair having a 2dr 9-3 tho.
Thanks, Its quite a rare car in Laser Red over here and i was very lucky to get a 2dr Aero model especially in this condition!

Most of the Aero's are Silver, Black or Cosmic Blue in the U.K and Viggens are only available in Lightening blue, Black, Silver or very rare Monte Carlo Yellow.

Last edited by bonelorry; 10-13-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Site Moderator

Very handsome car indeed.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
holy shit you bought what basically is the most perfect viggen ever <333
Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
holy shit you bought what basically is the most perfect viggen ever <333
not a viggen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
not a viggen
viggen / aero

dont
care
Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Elder

did aero's have a 2.0 or 2.3?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 10-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
did aero's have a 2.0 or 2.3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
Engine:

Standard B205R engine, T7 Suite Stage 3 software, Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with sports cat and oval tailpipe, Forge FM007 Recirc dump valve.
Looks like a 2.0.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
Standard B205R engine
yeah..... not a Viggen. They're Aero is like our 9-3 SE HOT.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Its not a Viggen but its not far off both externally and on the interior side of things Since mines a facelift Aero it has the Viggen bodykit and Viggen interior as standard plus the carbon dash.

I could have bought a Viggen as a base car but it would have cost me atleast £2000 more to start with and i would have still replaced the engine regardless as the B235 wouldnt be enough, Plus ive never seen a Viggen in the U.K for sale with 62000 miles like my Aero and in as good condition. Once ive rebuilt my B234/B235 engine with T5 cams and fitted it in my Aero and have got it upto 350-400bhp it wont matter

Thanks for all your kind words boys

Last edited by bonelorry; 10-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #13

Very nice looking aero!
The double Y wheels in that color is what I dream to find
I think your steering wheel is on the wrong side thou
I'll be sticking around here for the MS paint wieners.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateViggen View Post
Very nice looking aero!
The double Y wheels in that color is what I dream to find
I think your steering wheel is on the wrong side thou
Many thanks, I like the double Y's too especially in Anthracite. They come standard on my car but i have considered replacing them at some point but we shall see.

The steering wheels on the right side
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Well it had to happen, Ive had my first negative experience of Saab ownership in the form of a faulty oil pressure switch. I had the usual burning oil smell when stationary and the sump and downpipe was covered in engine oil

I knew i had a weap from the timing chain cover but when i had the car on the ramp on Saturday i noticed a bit more than a misting on the sump and spotted the leak coming from above the starter motor

Cheap fix thankfully but a PITA to get to and one of my work colleagues 24mm spanners had to be cut down to do it but we managed to sort it earlier today without removing the starter

Thanks to Neo Brothers speedy service for supplying me with a new genuine item.

Other than that not much else to report, Ive got a complete B234 out of a 9000 Griffin which is ready to be stripped down, Checked and rebuilt with new Oil pump, Water pump, chains/SealsGaskets etc. I need to locate a 9-3 Gearbox casing to transplant the insides of my aqquired 9-5 Aero box with Quaife LSD into, I also need a flywheel and a Viggen clutch/Pressure plate.

Fingers crossed the Bilsteins and full Powerflex bush kit i bought from Neos are getting fitted over the next few weeks which im looking forward to and ill also be replacing the front wishbones, Suspension links and track rod ends at the same time so its all freshened up.

Cheers Simon
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
What a beautiful car. I fucking love it.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llsh0rty View Post
yeah..... not a Viggen. They're Aero is like our 9-3 SE HOT.
Except that you could get an Aero with the Viggen Body work over there. In the USA, the only place it showed up was on the 2003 'vert with the "Sport Package" along with those dbl spoke wheels.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Heres a few pics of mine and my friends 9-5 Aero after a good cleaning/detailing session, Both cars Dodo Juice waxed on top of Super Resin Polish, awesome stuff to use even in temperatures which werent double figures....

Last edited by bonelorry; 10-22-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Dipped my hands in my pockets (Again) and bought it a set of new tyres to replace the ditchfinders that where fitted, Went for some Toyo T1R's in 225/45R17 94Y XL flavour as ive had good experience with the Toyo's in the past and we had a set in stock at work.

I had a spare hour this afternoon so fitted them myself, Also Nitrogen inflated them too

Fingers crossed there will be some progress next week as im off work, Hopefully the new Bilstein dampers, Polybushes, New wishbones, New Suspension links and New track rod ends should be going on early next week one evening which means i can get a full geometry/alignment check done.

Also if i get the chance in the later half of next week ill be going through the braking system and fitting new discs allround inc uprating the fronts to 308mm, EBC pads allround and Goodridge hoses allround along with some decent DOT 5.1 fluid in there.

If im feeling really naughty il buy a 22mm SAS rear anti roll bar too....

Then thats pretty much the chassis sorted out so i can focus on rebuilding my B234/B235 motor that ive got tucked away at a friends garage

Last edited by bonelorry; 10-25-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #20

looks great love the red coupes. and nice tire choice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in