wheel hub with studs? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

wheel hub with studs?

I was curious if there was any companies that made aftermarket wheel hubs with studs? Also, has anyone ever ran studs on a saab?
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
JK
Elder

As far as I know, there are not any hubs that are manufactured with studs already in them (aside from 1987 and older Saabs, but that's not what we're talking about here)

You can get thread-in studs to use a stud and lug-nut setup. And yes, it has been done.

Any particular reason why you want that type of setup?

edit: to give you an idea...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3788673
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Elder

makes changing wheels a hell of a lot easier, thats for sure.

i came very close to doing it. its nice with expensive wheels because you can use a smaller socket and have less risk of damaging the wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post

Any particular reason why you want that type of setup?
Saabkid kinda nailed it. Nothing to particular, just making it a little easier to switch wheels out. I'd also like to run some wheel spacers eventually, didn't know if it would make a difference on studs or lugs. Just imagined it would be easier with studs. But if you have to thread studs in, on top of a spacer being added.......sure that wouldn't be a strong set-up.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
You can get thread-in studs to use a stud and lug-nut setup.

im on the verge of doing this, just to get some wacky colored lug nuts

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallythesaab View Post
Saabkid kinda nailed it. Nothing to particular, just making it a little easier to switch wheels out. I'd also like to run some wheel spacers eventually, didn't know if it would make a difference on studs or lugs. Just imagined it would be easier with studs. But if you have to thread studs in, on top of a spacer being added.......sure that wouldn't be a strong set-up.
ive been through this argument before, and bmw guys do it all the time.

a screwed in stud/nut will actually provide more clamping force than a lug set up.

spacers with extended lugs are an absolute pain in the balls.

nice thing is the spacers help stop the whole wheels seizing to the hubs bullshit.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #7

i bet some saturn/kia/chevy has the hub with lugs
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Elder

meh. i got an 8 inch piece of threaded rod at a hardware store for $3 and use that as a wheel hanger. no problems putting wheels on
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
i bet some saturn/kia/chevy has the hub with lugs
just like your short shifter thread you need to realize that the og/ng 900/93's dont have anything in common with gm shit. the new gens do.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #10

did THAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
im on the verge of doing this, just to get some wacky colored lug nuts
been forced to go to studs because of the thickness of the Hirsch 19" rim....the stock bolts were simply too short, and the guy who sold me the rims didn`t gave me the bolts that were supposedly supplied by Hirsch, together with the rims.
Quite simple task,only make sure you get a wacky color for the nuts (I picked PURPLE, to go wid da ca` )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00096.jpg (163.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00097.jpg (160.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00098.jpg (179.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00110.jpg (178.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 251714_10150207465859051_790889050_7271334_4029747_n.jpg (50.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 254059_10150194997224051_790889050_7146736_1754340_n.jpg (60.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
AUDI A4/S4 B5 B6 B7 8E 14x1.5 LUG BOLTS STUD CONVERSION | eBay

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Turner motorports has sets you can get in several different lengths that are in our size and thread pitch. A little expensive but when it comes to something like this i would wanna spend that extra buck for safety. I was looking into this when I had my 18's and did a lot of research into what was out there.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llsh0rty View Post
Turner motorports has sets you can get in several different lengths that are in our size and thread pitch. A little expensive but when it comes to something like this i would wanna spend that extra buck for safety. I was looking into this when I had my 18's and did a lot of research into what was out there.
turner is the bomb. there studs and lug bolts have very high tensile strength ratings.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
turner is the bomb. there studs and lug bolts have very high tensile strength ratings.
One of these weekends I wanna take a trip up to their shop and just drool! Lol
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallythesaab View Post
I was kind of tolling for that answer. Where I've seen this the most is in lemons/chump (and I'm sure more serious racing that I've personally never done) where changing tires quickly is pretty damn important.

I've never bothered, or even considered bothering on a daily driver since changing wheels twice a year is hardly difficult enough to put studs on. That said, it sill would be moderately easier.

If spacers are being used, that's a pretty good idea too. The clamping force reason is silly, as if the stock studs don't provide enough force to hold the wheel on. Ha.

Anyway, I'd say go for it, I don't see any drawbacks other then a very small amount of time to install the things. Really though, its just the cost of the kit. Installing them is easy as pie.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llsh0rty View Post
One of these weekends I wanna take a trip up to their shop and just drool! Lol
i always thought they were a reasonably aized shop with a very good reputation. then i was watching a grand am race, in which on saturday they put one of the m3's nose first into the wall, and in under 12 hours made the grid for the race, completely rebuilt. at that point i realized that they are flat out badass. also have an indy car driver driving for them

i wasnt saying to change them out for clamping force purposes, just that when i brought it up a while back someone tried to argue that it was unsafe for lack of clamping force, and they are in fact wrong.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #17

Quote:
ive been through this argument before, and bmw guys do it all the time.

a screwed in stud/nut will actually provide more clamping force than a lug set up.
Got some engineering to back that up? For a given stud size and nut face the clamping force will be identical. Not to mention, you can get 86 ft lbs of force without any concerns at all.

Quote:
nice thing is the spacers help stop the whole wheels seizing to the hubs bullshit.
How about just cleaning the hub center and putting a thin coat of anti-sieze around it. All done.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Elder

Yes, I'm dumb enough to have never cleaned and anti seized the hubs, how did that idea ever escape me?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes, I'm dumb enough to have never cleaned and anti seized the hubs, how did that idea ever escape me?
If you had then you wouldn't have had problems with them sticking.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
If you had then you wouldn't have had problems with them sticking.
All I see is ignorance coming out of your keyboard at this point.

Surprisingly I'm not the first one to have wheels stick to the point of needing a reasonably sized mallet to remove them, regardless of cleaning, sanding, and anti seize application. But alas, I suppose I'm just not perfect like you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in