poly vs. stock control arm bushings - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Elder

poly vs. stock control arm bushings

viggen ball joints are shot of course, and im sure the bushings are tired at 167k.

the question is, being a daily driver, and not used as a performance car, is it worth the extra 100 bucks to have poly bushings?

suspension is already konis/eibachs/poly front arb bushings/poly steering bushings.

idea is to keep comfort, as i live in a city and its very bumpy, and i use it for long ski trips all winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm facing the same decision, except I already have the bushings. I wouldn't think that the large outboard bushings would affect ride/noise. As for the subframe and body connection(s), I'm leaving them stock. They're smaller and should not allow that much movement, compared to stock, but will still isolate mechanical and road "noise". My 2c

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I had poly control arm bushings and all the other typical suspension mods. I put about 45k on the poly control arms and never found it to be anything too extreme for a DD(which it was for most of it's life).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #4

Hey Jameson (or anybody else), can the control arms be bought without the stock bushings?

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 09-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Have them in my vig, daily driven 200-300 miles a week, no ill effects.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #6

get the poly. it's a non-decision.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX III View Post
get the poly. it's a non-decision.
It actually is a necessary decision, and without any evidence you have brought nothing to the table.

Poly is not always better

Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #8

Well if you're going to pout about it...

I've had the poly for 3 years, and I think they are worth the upgrade.
I too take long trips (i.e. 12 hour trips once yearly and 4-5 hour trips once or twice monthly) with koni's (set at full firm) and the whole shebang of poly bushings. I have no complaints at all. There is a much tighter steering feel, and it wanders less on crowned/ rutted roads. Like I said: It is a non-decision. Get them and you will be happy.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg450 View Post
Hey Jameson (or anybody else), can the control arms be bought without the stock bushings?

GS gives you the option of stock bushings, or the poly ones.

GenuineSaab.com
Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #10

I daily drive my car in and around boston. I have every poly bushing offered by GS and have noticed no changes in ride quality. Put them in. They are cheaper and more durable than stock. The one thing I did notice was crisper turn in and less slop. That being said it has not added any harshness or extra road vibration.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llsh0rty View Post
I daily drive my car in and around boston. I have every poly bushing offered by GS and have noticed no changes in ride quality. Put them in. They are cheaper and more durable than stock. The one thing I did notice was crisper turn in and less slop. That being said it has not added any harshness or extra road vibration.
so you did notice changes in the ride quality... they were just positive changes.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
WSW
Elder

I had poly bushings all around with koni kit here in chicago where the roads are crap and i wouldnt say its a harsh ride...its definitely much much firmer but the car feels much more planted and you have way more control..

I say poly
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX III View Post
so you did notice changes in the ride quality... they were just positive changes.
Yes, my bad. No changes in terms of ill effects.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #14

i have both stanchion arm poly bushs, lca bush,tie rod bushes they didnt effect my daily driving i think they inprovved it.

a little off topic but if your into ride quality dont get low profile tires. theres a big difference between 16x6.5 205/55/16 and 17x8 235/40/17 in ride quality. i feel bumps i didnt feel before just by swaping tires.

and one more thing to mention. you know the stock bushes can got to 167k on the vig. does anyone have any long term use with poly bushes? like 100k miles?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
Elder

If the stock can go 167k with only the ball joints failing poly should technically last longer

I doubt anyone has done mileage that significant since the bushings haven't been out more than 3ish years or so

Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #16

just shy of 40k on mine. they looked just like new when I tore down my suspension last night

Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
i have both stanchion arm poly bushs, lca bush,tie rod bushes they didnt effect my daily driving i think they inprovved it.

a little off topic but if your into ride quality dont get low profile tires. theres a big difference between 16x6.5 205/55/16 and 17x8 235/40/17 in ride quality. i feel bumps i didnt feel before just by swaping tires...
Yeah, but you don't look as kuel with 16" wheels!

I'm a 16" fan too, from a view point of ride, acceleration, and pothole protection. But, most people opt for 17's, or even 18's (good gawd) now, because it's trendy.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibuddha View Post
GS gives you the option of stock bushings, or the poly ones.

GenuineSaab.com
Word of warning: there were some posts in another forum by a guy who ordered arms from GS. They guaranteed they were OEM before he ordered, then they sent him Scantech. He had to argue with them long and hard to get a refund and he still got stuck for some shipping.

I'd order the poly from them if you like, but get the arms elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
Elder

big freakin whoop about scantech.

they about the biggest aftermarket supplier available.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #20

There's definitely better steering feel with the poly control arm bushings, and less of the wandering feeling on rough roads. But...I replaced all the subframe and steering bushings at the same time, so I can't isolate a specific value for the control arm ones

So...

Your question about whether it makes enough of a difference, especially on a car you're planning to sell, is pretty valid....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in