td04-15t 5cm to 18t? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

td04-15t 5cm to 18t?

does anyone have info on machining the intake housing for the bigger wheel?

also if i buy a balanced turbine will i have to balance it after the rebuild?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Don't do it, you need to get the 6cm housing from a 9000 & mod that for the 18t. Most people/tuners state the 18t doesn't work properly with the 5cm housing, to restrictive.... to much heat.

I forget the years the 6cm housings came on 9000's..... go that route, it's what I did & it's a great combo

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
Don't do it, you need to get the 6cm housing from a 9000 & mod that for the 18t. Most people/tuners state the 18t doesn't work properly with the 5cm housing, to restrictive.... to much heat.

I forget the years the 6cm housings came on 9000's..... go that route, it's what I did & it's a great combo
I think it was '93 - 97 manual aeros and the manual 98 CSE. Autos had the T25
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post

i keep hearing that too. but i guess theres guys runing the 18t with 5cm and they say the egts are fine.

i wonder if i clipped the exhaust turbine if it would act like a 6cm unclipped? to lower egts?

i want my saab to have low end power. breaths enough up top right now for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yea, it can work..... with a 2.0T I am sure there is a lot more room to play since the pistons are stronger then what is in my Viggen.

In addition to added heat it will also spool up slower vs a 6cm

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #6

So on a 2.0L, clipped wheels/exhaust side work on the 5 cm housing is ok...but on a 2.3L, it is not. Is this correct? In other words, NO 5 cm housing, regardless of what is done to modify it and the wheels, will function well with the 18T wheel...that is on a 2.3L?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
you definitely would not want to upgrade to an 18t without going to at least a 6cm turbine housing. Lots of guys are even going with the 7cm housings now.

My 18t in unclipped, which helps a bit with low end spool. If I spent a lot of time in the upper RPM's then clipping the wheel would be great to help keep EGT's down, but that's not a concern of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in