MU3 Option, Cobalt LSD Not a Quaife? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

MU3 Option, Cobalt LSD Not a Quaife?

With the availability of Almost new MU3 Option Cobalt LSD's From boxes with Cracked cases comming onto the market I thought I would try one. I was under the impression that Quaife made the LSD's for use by WEIGL in Gothenborg where the Saab & Cobalt transmissions were made. Doesn't Look to be the Case, This Differential is a Torsen LSD but does not look like any quaife i have seen.No Quaife Stamp, Nore does it look like the OBX Thing either. It appears that in 2007+ the WEIGL/SAAB transmission factory made there own Torsens.

I'll Update this thread once I get this thing in the car & tested to see if this was a good idea or not Vs just buying new .

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 09-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
JZW
Elder

That is interesting, it looks like the metal make-up is less than super high quality, looks little like pot-metal up top, I wonder if it will hold up like the super high quality Quiafe. I have never heard and anyone being able to break a Quiafe and they do come with a life-time warranty.

If it fits good and does not break, that is all that really matters, might be a good way to obtain a lsd at a cheap price,

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
I've read plenty saying that even the OBX's can hold up if they're cracked open and cleaned up. And that's more from the mainstream, cars that the owners actually spend money on.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden

Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Something we can force into the 9-5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Something we can force into the 9-5?
"Force" Isn't really needed. It just Kinda fits right in like Oem. Because it is OEM. It comes with the right ring gear already attached, Bearings on it. Ready to Go.

Almost 10 years ago to the Day, Give or take a Month I removed this Viggie Box & Performed the "Update Kit" with a new reverse gear because the Moron who owned it couldn't take his foot off the brake while trying to shift into reverse. So the P.O. Bashed the hell out of reverse like Most idiots. Well another 50K and 10 years later this is what i get. Another Bashed up reverse. Accept that now I own it. So I'm Off to price a reverse gear tommarow. But other wise This build is Cake.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 08-29-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

This is a straight swap "F35" LSD, right? This isn't an F25?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002BlackViggen View Post
This is a straight swap "F35" LSD, right? This isn't an F25?
Yes Strait swap..
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Nice. My reverse is hard to get into in my 9-5. Got any spare 9-5 boxes around? I'd love to get me some LSD action.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Elder

so whats the cost looking like on this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Elder

Lets do it. I'll order one from a junkyard? Or you wanna source it? I hope to also get the exhaust in shortly.

Hmm. Didn't have any luck on car-part.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Lets do it. I'll order one from a junkyard? Or you wanna source it? I hope to also get the exhaust in shortly.

Hmm. Didn't have any luck on car-part.
Lets Do It.Plan on spending the weekend., Don't spend more than 400 bucks on the Diff. What makes this cheaper is the fact that you don't have to buy Diff bearings. So for 400 bucks plus install kit, Tweek gets LSD, Labor was pre paid for a while ago of course.. Your Down pipe still has to finished but the flanges are Fitted, Now just needs to welded back together.

As for the Cobalt lsd, This thing works GREAT!

I threw it together today, Needed to Feed the Inner child.

A Cleaned up set of Viggen up rights, With springs went in.

Referbed a Few Viggen shafts with New boots & Used 95 Joints.

Shit Just dangling around while I Put the Viggen inner axle shaft in.

And Wham! Both Wheels Spin, Now the Silver car is THAT much better, It just Needs another 200Hp or so and It will be Set! I'm thinking Holset.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 09-01-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

no shit dude!! good find and install!

Holset? i think YES

Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwJet View Post
no shit dude!! good find and install!

Holset? i think YES
For a BIG Power Car Like yours, I Don't know if this LSD would be able to Cope with the Torque Load. But for those of us still in the T Series MHI turbo cars, this thing is fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #14

o really?! i guess the finish of it isnt as solid as quaife? but still thats awesome, for all the td04's and shit, you cant go wrong with that.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #15

So in your opinion then 350hp + should go with the quaife not one of these?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
So in your opinion then 350hp + should go with the quaife not one of these?
Well With a Quaife, I guarantee You will Break Every other part of the transmission Long before your going to break the quaife. Its pretty Indestructible. With the Cobalt LSD made by the saab factory "Go Figure" it looks like the Stock Diff just Cast & Machined a Little diffrently to accept the Sector Gear Magic of the Torsen design Stuffed in it. Who Knows what this Thing can take? But the quaife is a "Known" Item, & Cheap for what Nick sells it at. I think he just about gives them away because every one needs them. So its a Toss up...The Cobalt LSD can be had for significantly less. But so can the OBX. Lots of choise, Only one guarantee."QUAIFE" But if any one wants to try the OBX, I'm game. But SOWRY Round Eye if its No good.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 09-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

I have an LSD out of a Cobalt that actually has the Quaife label on it.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAERO View Post
I have an LSD out of a Cobalt that actually has the Quaife label on it.
From What I've found Listed, The 07+ boxes are Saab made LSD's. 05-06? I Don't know about, But I think you just answered it. I'm thinking that They Did buy the quaifs for 2 years before making their own. You Lucky Bastard! What did you pay for it? Got a Pic?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Elder

What Keyword should I search for online?
Quote:
Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
What Keyword should I search for online?
MU3 option LSD, F35, Cracked case core, Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in