4.45 Final drive gear set - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
4.45 Final drive gear set

Anybody else using this yet? I'm really tempted to pick this up and install before my 9-3 tranny goes in this summer. The only thing that worries me is gas mileage since I still daily this car and gas mileage is crappy enough as is around Utah.

Other than that, seems like this would give the car a lot of potential from a dig. If I'm not planning to drag the car a ton, then there may be no point and the 9-3 transmission alone might be enough to help me from a roll?

Thoughts?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I hope you have a LSD, as first gear is already pretty useless once you hit boost. I guess it depends on if you can go through first without building too much boost, and keep the tires hooked in 2nd once the boost comes on.

I wouldn't put it in a DD, as I already turn 2800RPM or so at 75ish. Going to go up a bit, hurting fuel economy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyPc View Post
I hope you have a LSD, as first gear is already pretty useless once you hit boost. I guess it depends on if you can go through first without building too much boost, and keep the tires hooked in 2nd once the boost comes on.

I wouldn't put it in a DD, as I already turn 2800RPM or so at 75ish. Going to go up a bit, hurting fuel economy.
The only time I had issues with traction in first gear was on the stock turbo. Boost comes in much later now (until further tuning) and isn't as peaky as the T25 was. First gear was completely useless on that turbo and I hated it. Once I get it tuned in with current turbo, traction shouldn't be an issue.

Having larger wheels helped bring rpm down quite a bit but I think the 9-3 transmission + 4.45 final drive will make a pretty good impact. I managed 38mpg on 100% driving so who knows how much that could drop.

Buy a Fiesta and use Saab for weekend car?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden

Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
What is the 4.45 final drive out of?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Anybody else using this yet? I'm really tempted to pick this up and install before my 9-3 tranny goes in this summer. The only thing that worries me is gas mileage since I still daily this car and gas mileage is crappy enough as is around Utah.

Other than that, seems like this would give the car a lot of potential from a dig. If I'm not planning to drag the car a ton, then there may be no point and the 9-3 transmission alone might be enough to help me from a roll?

Thoughts?
Do you not remember me doing this years ago and all the crap I got from the big boys? They are both now using this set-up

Been running them for years, its awesome, my 9k aero with 4.45 and lsd is a monster on e85 and stock turbo, it crushes m3s at the road race course and just about everything else out there, lapped the entire field twice in a 10 lap session last year...

John
Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
What is the 4.45 final drive out of?
i know its supposed to be in the V6 trans, but not sure if it holds true in both the manual and/or the auto

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Do you not remember me doing this years ago and all the crap I got from the big boys? They are both now using this set-up

Been running them for years, its awesome, my 9k aero with 4.45 and lsd is a monster on e85 and stock turbo, it crushes m3s at the road race course and just about everything else out there, lapped the entire field twice in a 10 lap session last year...

John
I do not remember but only cause I wasn't at the stage of needing it so probably slipped my mind

Any acceleration data from before and after? I know it along with the timing changes I've made since I last measured 60-90 should give me a much less laughable time how bad was gas mileage affected?

I just sold an old MacBook I had for $275 - the exact same price for the final drive set. I think it's a sign.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Quote:
Was this the track day we attended last year? The next track day is June 5th. We need to be in the same run group this time.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
JZW
Elder

Yea, I want to do some more road racing this year, I went out a few more times to the winter lapping days ! Much more relaxed, just one open session all day, you just go out when ready and come in when you are tired

I have the 9k set up very nicely now, the e85 and 4.45 is a great combo as you know yourself since you got to ride in Gary Wolf's 9k that was so fast at the track in Montana,

John
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

One can always toss in a .66 5th wheel from a 9-3/9-5 box to make the fifth 6% taller to make cruising more economical. Will be still short but alot better imho than the orig .7 fifth which the 4.45 has.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
JZW
Elder

Quote:
I do not remember but only cause I wasn't at the stage of needing it so probably slipped my mind

Any acceleration data from before and after? I know it along with the timing changes I've made since I last measured 60-90 should give me a much less laughable time how bad was gas mileage affected?

I just sold an old MacBook I had for $275 - the exact same price for the final drive set. I think it's a sign.
It depends on how you drive, Gary Wolf just drives a little slower and it does not effect it much at all.

I have checked the rpm and at 75mph, its 3100rpm on my tach and at 85mph, its about 3400-3500rpm, so the mileage does go down a good bit at the higher speeds, but its nice to actually have the car responsive and crisp at 65-85mph in 5th gear.

The other option is to put the 5th gear out of the 93 that is taller and that will work more like an over-drive, good cruising rpm for highway. I did not do this as Gary was adiment this would hurt me at the road race course where we regularaly hit over 155-165mph, it would not be in line with the other 4 gears and that would not work well in racing when you go from 4th to 5th and have it spaced completely different and more like an over-drive, good for milage, bad for racing acceleration.

Acceleration and spool up of a large turbo is helped a ton by the shorter gearing, its a huge advantage, even the 9k with tdo4 and 4.45 gearing is a rocket ship and I would say would beat a stg 5 ng900 no problem.

John
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #12

If one has 3100rpm for 75mph in fifth with orig 4.45 box, the rpm will be 2900 if 5th drive taken from 9-3box.

The biggest problem with the 4.45 box imho is that that the 3rd is too short and requires alot of tq limiting if you dont wish to put power to pure tire smoke
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
JZW
Elder

I have not had too much trouble with my 9k and stg 4 with good tires. Last year the race car also had no trouble with slicks either, but we did discuss whether to run the older ng900 longer third gear or the newer 93 third gear and we ended up running the longer, maybe stronger, third gear from the ng900 or 9k.

I love the 4.45, its a mean machine, makes a T25 9k cse stg 3 a beast...

John
Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
One can always toss in a .66 5th wheel from a 9-3/9-5 box to make the fifth 6% taller to make cruising more economical. Will be still short but alot better imho than the orig .7 fifth which the 4.45 has.
If I'm installing just the FD from the 4.45 box into the 9-3 box with original 9-3 gearset, isn't this the same idea? I don't know the ratios of the 4.45 box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
If one has 3100rpm for 75mph in fifth with orig 4.45 box, the rpm will be 2900 if 5th drive taken from 9-3box.

The biggest problem with the 4.45 box imho is that that the 3rd is too short and requires alot of tq limiting if you dont wish to put power to pure tire smoke
After torque limiting, though, did you find better acceleration times?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
It depends on how you drive, Gary Wolf just drives a little slower and it does not effect it much at all.

I have checked the rpm and at 75mph, its 3100rpm on my tach and at 85mph, its about 3400-3500rpm, so the mileage does go down a good bit at the higher speeds, but its nice to actually have the car responsive and crisp at 65-85mph in 5th gear.

The other option is to put the 5th gear out of the 93 that is taller and that will work more like an over-drive, good cruising rpm for highway. I did not do this as Gary was adiment this would hurt me at the road race course where we regularaly hit over 155-165mph, it would not be in line with the other 4 gears and that would not work well in racing when you go from 4th to 5th and have it spaced completely different and more like an over-drive, good for milage, bad for racing acceleration.

Acceleration and spool up of a large turbo is helped a ton by the shorter gearing, its a huge advantage, even the 9k with tdo4 and 4.45 gearing is a rocket ship and I would say would beat a stg 5 ng900 no problem.

John
I'm confused again here - did you get your hands on the entire box that has the 4.45 final drive? I assumed what Nick was stocking to be just the final drive that I would be swapping out with the 99-02 9-3's 4.05 final drive. I assumed you to already be running the 9-3's transmission in your cars and thus wouldn't need to pull that 5th gear out from another tranny.

Sorry, not quite following.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

I think only the f35 viggen tranny has the taller 5th gear?

2010 Ducati 1198s
2003 Audi RS6 Revo Stage 2 (515/500)
2000 Audi A6 Avant (For Sale)
2000 Viggen-JZW tuned GT3071 .64A/R topmount
1998 Dodge Quadcab-Kenne Bell SC
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Anyone know what final drive is in the NA NG900's?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm confused again here - did you get your hands on the entire box that has the 4.45 final drive? I assumed what Nick was stocking to be just the final drive that I would be swapping out with the 99-02 9-3's 4.05 final drive. I assumed you to already be running the 9-3's transmission in your cars and thus wouldn't need to pull that 5th gear out from another tranny.

Sorry, not quite following.
You can do it that way also, but then you will end up with even shorter 3rd, since the drive is 1.18 in 9-3 and 1.12 in the NG box.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
I think only the f35 viggen tranny has the taller 5th gear?
9-5, 9-3 both T7 and T5 have the taller 5th.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
uh im confused. isnt this a shorter FD? if so it will increase mpg not decrease.

its been argued to death and proved with logs in hondas. while your cruising at a higher rpm, your are using LESS throttle input due to the nice torque multiplication, so less throttle input to both hold a speed and get the car moving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in