Front Strut Brace for the Viggen. Review? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Front Strut Brace for the Viggen. Review?

I am looking into reducing the body roll even more om my Viggen. I already have koni/koni, steering rack clamp, 6 point subframe brace, se front sway bar. 24mm, rear sway bar. I feel that the car can still use some more reduction in body roll. does any one have experience with the upgraded strut tower brace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900AERO View Post
I am looking into reducing the body roll even more om my Viggen. I already have koni/koni, steering rack clamp, 6 point subframe brace, se front sway bar. 24mm, rear sway bar. I feel that the car can still use some more reduction in body roll. does any one have experience with the upgraded strut tower brace?
Don't really have personal experience with this but I heard the hatch brace really helps stiffen up the car. I would do both hatch and strut brace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Moderator

This is a good idea for 195mph lane changes.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

IMO I would just cut a coil or two off and call it a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico toscani View Post
Solid tip, I would also add a set of towing airbags from summit, easy way to limit spring travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico toscani View Post
i hope this is a joke
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwjet
i hope this is a joke
???

Have you tried it? Really firms up the ride, and only takes a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Solid tip, I would also add a set of towing airbags from summit, easy way to limit spring travel.
I never thought of that, great idea! You could even lift it up a bit with a bike pump then if you are driving on the BQE, no way I would take a lowered car on that thing, ask me how I know!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the solid tips. but i am not cutting springs. I am good with my ride height and wont change that. just need less body roll.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #9

ive never tried it personally but i know people that have. IMO its a very terrible idea. your changing the spring rates and the whole engineering that went into making that spring. its a really big mod in the honda world and us saab people should not imitate the honda crowd lol.

BTW, a full poly bushing kit helps alot with stiffening up the chassis, if you dont have that done already
Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #10

stiffen up is good but i want to keep a comfortable ride of the oem bushings and the handling of the beefed up metal parts. does that make sense?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I have the rear hatch brace and the upper strut brace on my stg 4 Viggen and do find that they've really tightened up the chassis.

The upper strut brace was a real surprise as many said it did very little however I found it did as much as the 6 point to tighten the front end.

The rear hatch brace really stiffened the rear and more noticeably reduced a lot of noise from the rear hatch area. Besides it's a great way to lock up a bike in the hatch!

I'd say my Viggen handles as good if not better than my old SPG did.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatsch View Post
I have the rear hatch brace and the upper strut brace on my stg 4 Viggen and do find that they've really tightened up the chassis.

The upper strut brace was a real surprise as many said it did very little however I found it did as much as the 6 point to tighten the front end.

The rear hatch brace really stiffened the rear and more noticeably reduced a lot of noise from the rear hatch area. Besides it's a great way to lock up a bike in the hatch!

I'd say my Viggen handles as good if not better than my old SPG did.
Cool, where did you get the rear hatch one? who sells those these days?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #13

@ yellow jet, what wheels do you have on your Viggen? I like.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

I got the rear hatch brace from GS. It's the removable one which is much easier to install and if I need to use the full hatch space I can remove the brace. Looks good to in the pebble black finish.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
lms

Based on your car and what you have done, the front and rear brace are about all you can do. But if you have the bucks and want to lower it some more, get coil overs which will help with body roll at the price of stiffness.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #16

Cutting springs is absolutely NOT common in the honda world. Just because the ghetto guy living downtown that buys every performance part from the autozone catalog does it doesn't mean it's commonplace. Hell, even they know better to buy at least a shitty set of dropzone parts for their first setup before cutting anything. Plenty of them spend at least a grand on good coilovers.

Back to the topic at hand. I heard that the front strut brace doesn't do much but the rear hatch brace is effective as was mentioned earlier.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

just throwing this out there cuz there is a lot of assumption.

I cut my vogtlands and use the koni adjusts at near full hard. rides just fine. im not racing or anything so it really doesn't matter. I'm not condoning it or anything, just saying your car wont spontaneously combust if you do.

while cutting springs does increase the spring rate marginally, its not as much as it should relative to the drop...you need to have stiffer shocks if do cut otherwise it will bounce. also its recommended that you dont cut more than a coil off stock springs, they are way too soft. if you want more, use stiffer springs as a base.

i wanted lower than any lowering spring could give, custom coilovers where out of the budget ($2500+, not worth it if Im not planning to race), and "no thanks" to bags. there was really only one option and I'm perfectly happy with the results.

having said that, most of the saab community is not ready for coils lol everyone said full hard koni is stiff...uh...not when I've ridden around on pretty much most coils for the 240SX...especially powered by max.

thats my rant on cutting springs.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by messinian900S View Post
just throwing this out there cuz there is a lot of assumption.

I cut my vogtlands and use the koni adjusts at near full hard. rides just fine. im not racing or anything so it really doesn't matter. I'm not condoning it or anything, just saying your car wont spontaneously combust if you do.

while cutting springs does increase the spring rate marginally, its not as much as it should relative to the drop...you need to have stiffer shocks if do cut otherwise it will bounce. also its recommended that you dont cut more than a coil off stock springs, they are way too soft. if you want more, use stiffer springs as a base.

i wanted lower than any lowering spring could give, custom coilovers where out of the budget ($2500+, not worth it if Im not planning to race), and "no thanks" to bags. there was really only one option and I'm perfectly happy with the results.

having said that, most of the saab community is not ready for coils lol everyone said full hard koni is stiff...uh...not when I've ridden around on pretty much most coils for the 240SX...especially powered by max.

thats my rant on cutting springs.
I have done the following and am contemplating the 6 point brace:

1. billsteins HD shicks and struts (and strut mounts)
2. rear sway bar

(those two alone worth there weight in gold)

3. Did the viggen rescue kit (so so but not as much of a bang for buck as the above two).

I have also put in a 3 inch downpipe and 2.5 exhaust ... and would like to get rid of that rattle and shake.

I have the 2002 9-3 SE auto Convertible SE with 17 inch low-profile tires. Thought mext step would be to go to Stage III ECU but I'd like to cut the rattle down first... thoughts?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Underhill View Post
I have done the following and am contemplating the 6 point brace:

1. billsteins HD shicks and struts (and strut mounts)
2. rear sway bar

(those two alone worth there weight in gold)

3. Did the viggen rescue kit (so so but not as much of a bang for buck as the above two).

I have also put in a 3 inch downpipe and 2.5 exhaust ... and would like to get rid of that rattle and shake.

I have the 2002 9-3 SE auto Convertible SE with 17 inch low-profile tires. Thought mext step would be to go to Stage III ECU but I'd like to cut the rattle down first... thoughts?
It is my understanding that the rattle and shake will be addressed with a 6pt. I have Bilstein HD's and 22mm ARB and steering rack clamp + brace just like you. My next step is a 6pt and GS removable hatch brace as I have heard nothing but good things. The strut bar looks nice IMO, but seeing as there is already a bar there versus NOTHING in the hatch, the hatch might be more 'noticeable'. Like I said all speculation as I have no experience with either.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 04-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #20

Just to add to this, I am planning to cut my koni front springs a bit since i have acquired two pair of them, I figure if something goes terribly wrong i can change them out... But i do not want the wheel gap that the koni's give you... its just too much... when i do it I will do a write up of my results and let everyone know how it goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in