Time to BUILD the Viggen - Page 19 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #361
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
Sure John, but overall limiting the car will make it faster and more reliable.

Slicks break shit when they dead hook on high power...why risk it?

We might try some boost limiting in the first two gears, but he wants a good time and I feel like it could be done with better tires, road race tires are not the best straight line traction tires, I have a set on my 9k aero and put them on the my drag car for some street testing, not sure they did any better than street tires.

I think he could get a 1.8-1.9 60' and not spin in second with good drag radials or if he went slicks, then it would be a 12 second car. The problem with the Viggen is the large calipers, you cannot easily put the small 15" rims with good drag radials like you can with a ng900, so that makes it tuff. I know Nick got some slicks on his Viggen to run his mid 12 second run, just not sure if he pulled off the viggen brakes to do it?

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #362
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
We might try some boost limiting in the first two gears, but he wants a good time and I feel like it could be done with better tires, road race tires are not the best straight line traction tires, I have a set on my 9k aero and put them on the my drag car for some street testing, not sure they did any better than street tires.

I think he could get a 1.8-1.9 60' and not spin in second with good drag radials or if he went slicks, then it would be a 12 second car. The problem with the Viggen is the large calipers, you cannot easily put the small 15" rims with good drag radials like you can with a ng900, so that makes it tuff. I know Nick got some slicks on his Viggen to run his mid 12 second run, just not sure if he pulled off the viggen brakes to do it?

John
Swapping Brakes TrollTuner

Brakes and a Realization TrollTuner

by the looks of it the viggen brakes are too big for 15's

gonna try and find some 15's and just see if i can clear the brakes, if not hopefully find a set of 16' slicks that will fit or just settle with radials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
When you build some thing that BadAzzz You might as well Prove it. And then Step Back a little. Right Now He's Got Shit to Prove. Its GAME ON!
hahaah very true. sent out that ecu to john, gonna see how it works out with the street tires. but ultimatley looking to get slicks just difficult to find the right size wheel and tire to fit. GAME ON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #364
Elder

Look into the motorcycle slicks by mh for 17's I believe, evo guys run them to clear brakes

Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
Look into the motorcycle slicks by mh for 17's I believe, evo guys run them to clear brakes
will do. thanks for the info

Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #366
JZW
Elder

It looks like you would need the base 93 set-up. Calipers and rotors and to make the 15's work, or a 1/2" offset with spacers to clear.

John
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #367

so the inner diameter of 15's would clear the brakes? they just need to be pushed outward of the car? my friend has a set of 15's, im gonna try and put them on and see what i have to work with.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #368
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
nope... you will need to downgrade the brakes

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #369
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Luckily all you need is the caliper bracket and rotors. You would not need to bleed to swap the brakes. So if your swapping to slicks, you could take the extra 5 minutes per side to swap the caliper brackets and smaller rotors. Still a pain, but it is an option.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #370

dont need to change the calipers?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #371

some eye candy

Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #372

What a sexy car!

This has got to be my favorite build on here
I'll be sticking around here for the MS paint wieners.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #373
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Frank Roti would be proud

Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #374
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I'll go see if I can whip up the small brake package and mail it off tomarrow. 12second Car driver covers shipping. Used Parts are on the house.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 09-05-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateViggen View Post
What a sexy car!

This has got to be my favorite build on here
thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Frank Roti would be proud
id like him to see how his old car turned out. he still on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
I'll go see if I can whip up the small brake package and mail it off tomarrow. 12second Car driver covers shipping. Used Parts are on the house.
your the man harvey

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #376
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

why not run 16s?
i bet with spacers or the right offset you could fit a 245/50R16 drag radial (i mean you're going straight so why worry bout it rubbing on full lock)
just get a pair of 16" steelies and get them widened and maybe the offset changed
that way you dont sacrifice braking

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #377
JZW
Elder

There are not many good 16" slicks for our cars and you lose the good gearing of a 15" wheel, there are tons of options and the best seems to be the 24.5 x 8.5x 15 slicks or the 23.5x 8.5x15 or the 26x10x15, so with 15" tons of good options, with 16, only a few options and the side-wall will not be ideal.

John
Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #378
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

makes sense... didnt know what options are out there

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #379

like JZW said, there aren't really any options for 16s. if I was looking into drag radials I'd get them in 16 but I think I passed the limit of radials and need full slicks. and they need to be 15s unfortunately. I'm just gonna down grade the rotors and do a couple passes. not that big a deal, especially if that'll get me into the top 10 fastest saabs

Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #380
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

RUT ROhh ? Whats Patric Doin?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in