Thinking of switching from Bilstein HD to Koni adjustables - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Thinking of switching from Bilstein HD to Koni adjustables

The current setup on my Talladega is with Intrax springs in the front, Eibach springs in the rear, and Bilstein HDs all round. I used to have Intrax springs all round but the rear height was just too low and the ride too harsh for my taste, so I swapped in some Eibachs which really improved both the height and ride quality.

Unfortunately, I've never been happy with the Bilsteins as they are just too harsh for my liking, especially now that I'm driving in the city on bad roads and over potholes. The swap will cost me in the neighbourhood of $600 if I buy through Nick T and I wanna make sure my expectations are realistic. So I want to hear from anyone who has Koni adjustables with sport springs and how comfortable or harsh these shocks are. I'm not expecting a soft ride like stock , but at the same time, I don't wanna have my teeth rattle out everytime I hit a bump.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I have the full Koni kit. With the dampers set fully soft, the ride is firm, but not harsh. VT has very shitty roads, and it's livable as a DD.

On fully hard, it needs to be glassy smooth, as the ride becomes extremely stiff.

Thumbsup for the Koni dampers. Well made and work well.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

Looks like Koni adjustables is what I'll be doing. It'll be interesting to see how they work w my front intrax springs and rear eibachs.

Am I correct in confirming that Koni does not make the FSD dampers for the NG?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
A good portion of the ride harshness comes from the tire/wheel combo. Not running too much pressure etc? Can you go up a bit in size? ex 215-45 17 to a 225-45 17

No FSD for the OG 9-3. Had to beg for the 9-5 set.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #5

Right now I'm running BBS RK1s w 225-45-17 tires. I've tried varying levels of pressure on the tires - hasn't helped reduce the harshness to my liking. Also have the control arm poly bushings installed but it certainly can't account for my teeth rattling endlessly over every bump. And yeah the front intrax springs are firm but I'll create a bigger impact on the ride comfort by swapping out all the bilsteins rather than the intrax springs (plus, imo, the ride height with the mismatched springs is perfect).

Nick, tell me you've got the Koni adjustables in stock for NG 94-98. Looking to order in the next couple weeks along with a crap load of other suspension items.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have had the Koni kit on for almost 2 months. I have set it at full soft on front and 1 turn on the rears for a bit more firmness for my daily driving. It is very comfortable, maybe more so then oem setup.

Full firm it's too harsh for a daily driving.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
It is very comfortable, maybe more so then oem setup.
This is the statement I've been waiting to hear. Actually, more for my fiance than me.
She hates the ride around Toronto's shitty roads and I've been trying to find a solution without getting rid of the car or going back to OEM.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I have bilstein HD on the rear only, stock up front and stock springs. I know what you mean by harsh.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Elder

I love the HD's in my 9000 - Aero springs and SAS sway bars - different car, but I love the ride, and I don't think it's too hard - just right. I have a set of KONI's for the rear of our 9-5 Wagon - not installed yet, still looking for AERO springs. I have a set of OEM Aero struts for the front once I have springs for it.

Plans for the used HD's if you change out? I know a nice 2002 SE 9-3 which would love a set of those. I also know of a 00' Base 3 Door....
for your repair needs
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Elder

I have Konis and used to have Vogtland springs but now have new OEM springs but still have the Koni shocks. To be honest, I thought I would take more advantage of the adjustibility feature but I have rarely moved my shocks off of full firm in the rear and a turn off full firm in the front and find it to be surprisingly decent. When they are at their softest, they are as stiff as stock but the better valving gives the car less harshness over bumps and poor quality roads. I have been very happy with mine, while I run full firm all the time, it retains reasonable ride quality while making the car handle very well.

|
|
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
Plans for the used HD's if you change out? I know a nice 2002 SE 9-3 which would love a set of those. I also know of a 00' Base 3 Door....
No plans for the used HDs. They'll be up for sale and will obviously help offset the cost of switching. Remember though that these shocks are coming out of an NG not the OG 9-3

Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
No plans for the used HDs. They'll be up for sale and will obviously help offset the cost of switching. Remember though that these shocks are coming out of an NG not the OG 9-3
There is a differance in suspension? Vehicles are the same aside from electronics and cosmetics. Different valving in the components maybe - but I don't see why.
for your repair needs
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
I think there's also some difference in the subframe, as in, you have to drop it to check the oil pan in the OG9-3 (this I know for certain) and not in the NG900.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #14

Front suspension is defintely different between NGs and OG9-3. The rear suspension is the same (at least for fitting springs/shocks). That said, dip has a write up on how to fit front OG9-3 springs onto the NG. I suppose then one could find a way to do the reverse, ie. fit NG bits onto the OG9-3?

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2007...gs_From_a_9-3/

Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
This is the statement I've been waiting to hear. Actually, more for my fiance than me.
She hates the ride around Toronto's shitty roads and I've been trying to find a solution without getting rid of the car or going back to OEM.
It still has that distinct, firm, Saab feel so it's no Buick. I stayed away from the poly bushings as I wanted a comfortable ride to some degree. I just replaced my 2 year old aftermarket control arms with a the Nordic brand (that centre bushing had some play) Crazy what a new set of bushing do.... feels new again.

If your ever in the KW area I'll give you a ride in the Viggen.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #16

Quote:
It still has that distinct, firm, Saab feel so it's no Buick. I stayed away from the poly bushings as I wanted a comfortable ride to some degree. I just replaced my 2 year old aftermarket control arms with a the Nordic brand (that centre bushing had some play) Crazy what a new set of bushing do.... feels new again.

If your ever in the KW area I'll give you a ride in the Viggen.
Actually, I'll be making a day trip to cambridge in the next few weeks and might take you up on the offer! Thanks!

Funny you mention the bushings because I'm replacing the control arms as well. The existing ones have ball joint issues but do have the poly bushings installed so the plan was to order stock control arms from Nick, press out the oem bushings, and replace with my existing poly ones.

But now you got me thinking...maybe I wont mess with the bushings just yet and install the new control arms as is. I guess there's no harm if I go this route...the poly bushings can always be swapped in after.

Thoughts?

Last edited by quattro; 05-12-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #17

Interested in this thread - my new 9-3 has HDs in the back. Will be putting Koni springs on soon. Currently stock up front. Had thought about putting Konis in the front - can people recommend how the HD's out back will mesh with the Koni's up front?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #18

Sounds like it's worth a try, especially if you have a nice tool to pop the ball joint without tearing the boot. Only down side is, the bushing that connects the 2 arms seems to wear out fast, like 1 to 2 years, at least on aftermarket arms....

Is your bushing on the control arm at sub frame poly too? I think that would transmit more road feel then the other one.

Send me PM and we can hook up when ur in town.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
Elder

On my Viggen I have the koni kit. I have it set right in the middle which would be 2 of poss 4. Its not harsh at all. RI roads just suck and a tighter suspension lets you know its a tighter suspension. I do like the kit very much and it looks better than stock ride height
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Is your bushing on the control arm at sub frame poly too? I think that would transmit more road feel then the other one.
yep those bushings are poly also..
the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to at least try out the ride with new control arms and OEM bushings. If its comfy enough for my liking, great. Worse case, they wear out in a couple yrs, in which case I can swap in the poly bushings I have now.

So, to summarize:

Going from:
Front: Intrax springs, Bilstein HDs, inner/outer poly bushings on control arms, poly sway bar bushings
Rear: Eibach springs, Bilstein HDs

To:
Front: Intrax springs, Koni adjustables, stock inner/outer bushings on new control arms, poly sway bar bushings
Rear: Eibach springs, Koni adjustables
EDIT: should add that I'm also installing the 6 point subframe brace

I think this could work.

Last edited by quattro; 05-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in