What wideband do you like? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What wideband do you like?

So I've been thinking of picking up a wideband for my viggen. I used an AEM UEGO on my turbo accord and that did pretty good at doing it's job for $230, but I have heard that some people do not like them because they can't be recalibrated, their datalogging is not well sorted, and other reason I can't remember. Innovate widebands are around the same price and PLX supposedly makes a very good product. What do you guys use and why? I tried searching but all I found was either an install or a FS thread.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
So I've been thinking of picking up a wideband for my viggen. I used an AEM UEGO on my turbo accord and that did pretty good at doing it's job for $230, but I have heard that some people do not like them because they can't be recalibrated, their datalogging is not well sorted, and other reason I can't remember. Innovate widebands are around the same price and PLX supposedly makes a very good product. What do you guys use and why? I tried searching but all I found was either an install or a FS thread.
I like my AEM BECAUSE it doesn't need to be calibrated. For datalogging, there's a 0-5v that can be tied into the ECU. I think I read good things about PLX as well but no first hand experience.

Another minor thing I liked about the AEM over the Innovate I had for a few weeks, is that it's one simple cable One end to the sensor, one to the gauge and you're good to go.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

innovate ... lc-1 ... /thread :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Elder

i have the LC1 but i like the AEM gauge WAY better.... but my LC1 works great so i cant really complain

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

One thing I wasn't sure of was the "controller" that came with the innovate wbo2's. Like you guys, I'm only familiar with the very straightforward AEM setup which obviously doesn't have one.

Last edited by NeedForSwede; 12-10-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
One thing I wasn't sure of was the "controller" that came with the innovate wbo2's. Like you guys, I'm only familiar with the very straightforward AEM setup which obviously doesn't have one.
Yeah, very straightforward. When I was pressed for time to get my car finished, it's nice to have the little things like that to speed up the process even by just a few minutes

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #7

the lc1 is straight forward if you ask me...it was very simple to install and calabrate
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Elder

I bought the PLX with the display because at last I read the Innovate controllers were still frying sensors at an alarming rate. There is lots to read up about it on the Innovate forums. We used an Innovate for the FSAE car at school for two years, and fried two sensors this way, and dealing with Innovate about it was a nightmare.

The PLX, AEM, and Innovate all use the same Bosch sensor, the difference is in the controller.

While calibrating the Innovate is easy, it's a pain unless you have your laptop with you every time you start the car in different conditions. The PLX self-calibrates at each startup, and the PLX has a knob right on the front to set the calibration for different fuels, gasoline, E85, straight ethanol, diesel, and one programmable one.

The response time is very fast, you get repeater outputs right out of the back of the controller for 0-1v, 0-5v, and one programmable, and wiring it isn't any harder or easier than any of the other ones.

Give the controller switched +12, ground, and plug in the sensor and go. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be messing with the implications of having a wideband anyway.

My only complaint about the PLX with the display, is it is a numerical-only display, which is a pain for the driver to use as a safety check when road testing, and color coded band or bar graph would be infinitely more useful, and wouldn't be hard to rig up, but is worth mentioning that if you buy the 'Tuner Edition' controller with the display and want to be able to monitor it while driving, be ready to buy a bar- or round color display guage as well.

The display will also only read (in gasoline setting) down to 10:1, and up to 20:1, I think the Innovate software will display richer than that when set to gasoline.

My PLX matched the onboard tailpipe system on the dyno last weekend nearly exactly the whole run, just by eye though, I didn't log the output as well.

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

do you calibrate it through the "controller?" What does that thing actually do?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #10

i use an innovative PLX device in my turbo wrangler
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
lms

I like the lm-1 which I have had for about 4 years now (used it on 5 cars now), but you have to buy an rpm tranducer if you want to log data at certain rpm's. Not a big issue, but an extra cost.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #12

Right now I can get a UEGO for like $201 shipped and an Innovate for $230...decisions decisions
Old 12-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I bought the Innovate LC1 + XD16 guage kit off of ebay for $270 I believe. The XD 16 guage rocks. And you can use the button on it to start calibrate mode.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
I bought the PLX with the display because at last I read the Innovate controllers were still frying sensors at an alarming rate. There is lots to read up about it on the Innovate forums. We used an Innovate for the FSAE car at school for two years, and fried two sensors this way, and dealing with Innovate about it was a nightmare.

The PLX, AEM, and Innovate all use the same Bosch sensor, the difference is in the controller.

While calibrating the Innovate is easy, it's a pain unless you have your laptop with you every time you start the car in different conditions. The PLX self-calibrates at each startup, and the PLX has a knob right on the front to set the calibration for different fuels, gasoline, E85, straight ethanol, diesel, and one programmable one.

The response time is very fast, you get repeater outputs right out of the back of the controller for 0-1v, 0-5v, and one programmable, and wiring it isn't any harder or easier than any of the other ones.

Give the controller switched +12, ground, and plug in the sensor and go. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be messing with the implications of having a wideband anyway.

My only complaint about the PLX with the display, is it is a numerical-only display, which is a pain for the driver to use as a safety check when road testing, and color coded band or bar graph would be infinitely more useful, and wouldn't be hard to rig up, but is worth mentioning that if you buy the 'Tuner Edition' controller with the display and want to be able to monitor it while driving, be ready to buy a bar- or round color display guage as well.

The display will also only read (in gasoline setting) down to 10:1, and up to 20:1, I think the Innovate software will display richer than that when set to gasoline.

My PLX matched the onboard tailpipe system on the dyno last weekend nearly exactly the whole run, just by eye though, I didn't log the output as well.

Best,
Drew
Are you referring to the Innovate or the PLX on that part?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #15

I think he is. I'll probably just end up getting another AEM since it remains to be the cheapest one on the market and gives me the info I want.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
I bought the Innovate LC1 + XD16 guage kit off of ebay for $270 I believe. The XD 16 guage rocks. And you can use the button on it to start calibrate mode.

Same here. Well, except I bought mine from Innovate. Anyhoo, been quite pleased with it. The whole package, that is - the Gauge and the Controller.

Haven't fried any sensors either.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Are you referring to the Innovate or the PLX on that part?

The PLX.

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #18

the lc1 is easy to install and calibrate, if you follow the directions. i like the look of the gauge too its cleaner looking i think
Old 12-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
Elder

The PLX would be the gauge I would go with if and when I get a wideband. The customization that is possible is really appealing in my mind and for the advantages in flexibility for its calibration like Drew mentioned.

|
|
Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #20

So I thought this might be worth posting. It's the cheapest deal I've found for for an Innovate LC-1 with some gauge to display AFR's...other than 14point7.com.
http://www.xenocron.com/apu1-autopro...6a9bbb8eb2899e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in