upgrading turbo? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
SAABeginner

upgrading turbo?

I have a 99 saab 93 with 104k miles. Im looking to go with a bigger turbo. One thing im not to sure about with these cars is the ecu i was going to ask if someone has a good setup for 300-350whp also what ecu i would need and if the stock manifold will work. The car already has all new intake pipes greddy front mount, 2 1/2 inch exhaust i know i would want a 3" dp
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
You can talk to pretty much any tuner and they will be able to map out the tune you need, however at that power i would probably want a custom tune 300whp is a lot. The stock manifold can work depending on the turbo you want. You'll probably want stiffer springs and shocks to resist the weight transfer of 300hp, you will also want new polyurethane motor and transmission mounts, clutch, possible limited slip if you actually going to race it (which is the only reason i would see with 300-350whp), sticky tires, subframe brace, steering rack clamp and brace as well so you can put on full throttle without jerking back and forth across the road.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
SAABeginner

i would even be happy with high 200hp range. I live in NY and i have no idea of any saab tuners around my area. Just curious if you had any suggestions on what turbo to use?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Do a search for tuners around here and you'll find about a dozen or so.

ePartsLand.com is out of Northeast PA and Philly and are members here. They might be able to help you out in person, depending on where you are in NY. PM Delorean or PaulH if you've got questions.

Last edited by aireeca; 12-06-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

call john williams and talk to him about doing a td04 19t that will put you 300whp and be really fun...lots of people have done it....but i would deff call jzw he is imho the best in the bizz...

www.jzwtuning.com
Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Elder

There are so many options you have to choose, but most that will be mentioned are tried and true by many Saab owners. There are a number of tuners who will take your information on the specific setup and write a tune to suit. To run a larger turbo, you need larger fuel injectors and if you are on the safe side, a larger fuel pump. I run a rebuilt and upgraded 'big' T28 and got 285whp out of it on an automatic so if you have a manual that will put you over the 300 mark. The other popular turbo has been mentioned which is a TD04 with the 6cm housing rebuilt from the stock 15t wheels to 19t.

Bottom line is:

-Turbo
-injectors
-Full exhaust
-intercooler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
don't forget the big intake pipe, unless he is going with a top mount.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
SAABeginner

which injectors are ideal
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Elder

if you have a TD04 you can get to the 270whp range without touching the turbo. thats about 300hp at the crank.

talk to your tuner to see what injectors to run. i recommend steve haynes on here.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
SAABeginner

my buddy has a stock 16g turbo off his evo8 mr for sale. I believe this is a td04
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

I'm in the process of pretty much doing the same thing on a 2001 9-3 B205R.
I will end up with the following:
3" downpipe with high flow cat
cat back exhaust
6 puck performance clutch, Viggen PP
ETS Intercooler
3.5 FPR
Cobra intake pipe
Siemens 630cc injectors
Wideband gauge with data logging

The turbo will be a custom TD04HL-19T with a 6cm^2 9000 Aero housing (in the process of building). I'm using the stock exhaust manifold but will port match it to the Aero 6cm^2 housing.

Steve Hayes will be doing my tune once all of the hardware is installed. I'm hoping for around 325 HP, 350ish TQ. I don't want to get into pistons and camshafts just yet. The modified turbo should be good to flow 350 HP.

Anybody have a reccomendation for upgrading the waste gate?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
SAABeginner

im gettin a downpipe made. i just put a new transmission in last week and wish i had the money for a clutch at that time. how long will the stock clutch hold 300whp if i dont beat the piss out of it? 104k miles
Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Elder

If it's the original clutch, not much longer. I'd start saving up for a 6 puck / Vig PP
Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab93t99 View Post
which injectors are ideal
Green Giant, Siemens are popular

NO "n" words please
Come on, I've had that signature for like a year without any complaints
Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab93t99 View Post
im gettin a downpipe made. i just put a new transmission in last week and wish i had the money for a clutch at that time. how long will the stock clutch hold 300whp if i dont beat the piss out of it? 104k miles
well technically normal driving it should hold, but when you floor it i doubt it will hold for that long
Old 12-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
SAABeginner

ok. so the most popular td04 used is the viggen? Where would i be able to find one for a decent price with the oil and coolant lines and banjo bolts?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Elder

if you get the TD04 out of a viggen you can get to about 270whp but it is recommended that you stay with the 15t compressor wheel.

if you get the TD04 off a 9k Aero 5speed it will have the 6cm exhaust housing which will allow you to upgrade to a 18t or 19t which is good for about 300whp

those are much harder to find though.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
SAABeginner

im not familiar with doing this.. Im new to the saab world and i want to order a stage 4 tune from jzw however im not sure which turbo to buy or where to buy it from. Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
Elder

okay.

most tuners will take into account what hardware you are running and can compensate for those changes.

a cookie cutter stage 4 tune would require this hardware.

TD04 turbo (the viggen turbo cannot be upgraded (say if you want to go to stage 5 later....the 9000Aero turbo can be upgraded) understand?)

Large intake pipe (see genuinesaab.com)
t5 Cams (not required but recommended. if you have a 99 9-3 you already have them)
3" DP with Race cat + 2.5" high flow cat back
Large Intercooler
3.5 Bar FPR

if you need to source a TD04 you can pm eliteforeignauto and he can hook you up with a TD04, lines, and banjo bolts off a wrecked car.

that set up will put you at the 270whp range, if you want to go higher you will need a bigger turbo. if you want 300whp then you need the harder to find 9000Aero turbo built to a 19t or look up one of the other members gt30 or holset turbo builds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in