Modification to GS Steering Rack Clamp & Brace - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Modification to GS Steering Rack Clamp & Brace

So I installed the Koni Kit on my car. Like a few others I experienced the knock of the tierod on the brace that goes over it and bolts onto the inner fender. So I brought this up to a welding friend and now my problem has been solved (see attached).

It's a piece of round hollow stock in place of the solid stock. The rise of brace is 1 1/2" higher. No more knocking. Not even with the sharpest impacts or hardest cornering. I will take it off and get it powder coated at the same time as the Vig/Aero calipers for next spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strut Brace.jpg (96.1 KB, 269 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Elder

Yay

Although I don't think mine knocks at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Did this sound like "bang, bang"???

I've had this noise on and off again for over a year since I had my Koni struts and springs installed. Nick at Taliaferro kept claiming it was the strut mounts, even though I've had 2 new sets of strut mounts and bearing plates in the car, and it still makes the noise. I also heard that Koni was marking the springs incorrectly and that it was possible that my springs were installed upside down. I never flipped the springs cause I didn't buy into this.

If this is the solution I'll be happy and pissed at the same time. Pissed at Taliaferro for not figuring this out, and happy that I've finally figured out what was making this noise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Mine was doing the same thing after I lowered it with the vogtlands... Came to find out I had it installed in the wrong hole. There was one more hole above the one I was using. This solved the problem.

Judging by your pic it looks as if you may have done the same thing I did.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
If this is the solution I'll be happy and pissed at the same time. Pissed at Taliaferro for not figuring this out, and happy that I've finally figured out what was making this noise.

If you mean figuring out that replacing a nice straight load bearing reinforcement with a drastically curvy one placed in tension / compression and hoping to have the same results, then you can go right on being unsatisfied.

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Last edited by DrewP; 12-06-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Wrong tense.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
I've had this noise on and off again for over a year since I had my Koni struts and springs installed. Nick at Taliaferro kept claiming it was the strut mounts, even though I've had 2 new sets of strut mounts and bearing plates in the car, and it still makes the noise. I also heard that Koni was marking the springs incorrectly and that it was possible that my springs were installed upside down. I never flipped the springs cause I didn't buy into this.

It was easy to test and spot. Jacked-up the car. Then jacked up on the wheel. Watched the tierod raise as we did so I stooped shy of making contact with the brace, it was clear if I jacked more it would hit. I checked the underside of the brace there was a significant mark from the tie ride hitting it. Jacked further to be sure it would contact. It did so w/ more spring compression left to go. As for the strut mount theory, mine are brand spanking new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Mine was doing the same thing after I lowered it with the vogtlands... Came to find out I had it installed in the wrong hole. There was one more hole above the one I was using. This solved the problem.

Judging by your pic it looks as if you may have done the same thing I did.
Well then, I will have to look at things to be sure.

It certainly looks like they chose a higher location on their site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
If you mean figuring out that replacing a nice straight load bearing reinforcement with a drastically curvy one placed in tension / compression and hoping to have the same results, then you can go right on being unsatisfied.

Best,
Drew
No noticeable negative change in feel. Just less clunking when high loads are placed on the passenger side front wheel. Thanks.

Last edited by liketheword; 12-07-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
There is no need to modify it if it is installed correctly as shown in the photo tutorial.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...products_id=36 I run this exact part on my Viggen with the coilovers dropped to the ground and still have clearance. Now bolted to the wrong place it will hit for sure.

PS it is rather difficult to diagnose noises by email.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
There is no need to modify it if it is installed correctly as shown in the photo tutorial.
Yep. Found that out this morning as indicated in my post above. My FAIL.

At least the round stock makes something stronger and lighter.

Quote:
PS it is rather difficult to diagnose noises by email.
Tell me about it, I work in IT

Last edited by liketheword; 12-07-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
mio
TSLMember

Quote:
I also heard that Koni was marking the springs incorrectly and that it was possible that my springs were installed upside down. I never flipped the springs cause I didn't buy into this.
This is fact, not fiction. Specifically, the 'up' arrow that was placed on the springs was in fact pointed in the opposite direction. I can't speak for the current versions of the kit but this was the case with mine (and two other people that I know) when I had it installed in July '05.

Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Well I finally got around to looking at this (no free Saab time for me in a long time and I only drive it in the Summer).

I do have it mounted in the correct top hole.

So now I'm thinking that the springs are installed upside down thanks to bad markings from Koni as I've put in two different strut bearing plates and mounts and the knocking noise is still there.

Ughhh....
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Dean,
In your picture it is most certainly mounted wrong. See the corner of the black plastic and compare this to the picture above from my site.

|
|

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
Elder

Nick-That is my pic. I am the origonal poster. I did have it in a lower hole as indicated in my prior posts. It was my modification and mistake you are seeing there.

Dean didn't post a pic. I am not sure what location he is using.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Sorry liketheword..

Dean, Have you checked the strut insert into the upright the big ring nut? Those are commonly left loose or the shop reuses the original nut and damages the damper.

Quote:
Well I finally got around to looking at this (no free Saab time for me in a long time and I only drive it in the Summer).

I do have it mounted in the correct top hole.

So now I'm thinking that the springs are installed upside down thanks to bad markings from Koni as I've put in two different strut bearing plates and mounts and the knocking noise is still there.

Ughhh....

|
|

Last edited by GenuineSaab; 04-05-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Sorry legit..
Must be a rough day. We all have-em.

-liketheword
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Must be a rough day. We all have-em.

-liketheword
Too much going on..

|
|

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Too much going on is chasing around sick 10 month old twin girls that are going on 14 and working 60+ hours a week.
lol....deep breath....
Nick I'll have to check...still trying to get my TD04 turbo issue straightened out (I still owe you a core intake housing). Time is not mine anymore. Lots of parts accumulating with zero time to install them.
When you are young you have all the time in the world to work on your cars and no money.
When you get older, you have the money to work on your cars but no time!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
When you are young you have all the time in the world to work on your cars and no money.
When you get older, you have the money to work on your cars but no time!!!!
Oh so true, and I am not even old yet and this is starting. (few years out of college) My car has been in the garage for about 3-4 weeks because I just don't have time to do all work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in