GS downpipes v1 vs v2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to nomadtw
GS downpipes v1 vs v2

what is the difference between the versions?
i can't seem to find anything stating the difference between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Elder

v1 is downpipe, v2 is downpipe + midpipe
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
v1 is downpipe, v2 is downpipe + midpipe
ah ok, so that is the difference... i thought it might be, but there was no mention of that in the description, only in the photo

nick if you're reading mentioning or renaming it to downpipe+midpipe, might alleviate future confusion

does the addition of the midpipe make much difference in performance over keeping the stock 2.5" pipe after the dp?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtw View Post
ah ok, so that is the difference... i thought it might be, but there was no mention of that in the description, only in the photo

nick if you're reading mentioning or renaming it to downpipe+midpipe, might alleviate future confusion

does the addition of the midpipe make much difference in performance over keeping the stock 2.5" pipe after the dp?
Quote:
Taliaferro 3in Downpipe For 900NG, 9-3 Version2 Full stainless Tig welded. With Metallic Race Catalyst to withstand the abuse of a high output engine. Replaces factory flex pipe going from turbo to front of center muffler. V-band flange for easy service.
If you have not been under your car, then you would not know but otherwise the description of it going to the center muffler is good to know that it replaces the midpipe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
If you have not been under your car, then you would not know but otherwise the description of it going to the center muffler is good to know that it replaces the midpipe.
wow... it's bold on the site and everything... not sure why i missed the connection

perhaps i should really stop trying to think at 3am
Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Quote:
perhaps i should really stop trying to think at 3am
I get the same problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

I think version 2 is worth it if only because the stock flex pipe rusts out so easily. Plus you get whatever extra performance it might bring.

By the way, the DP really is as good as everyone says - the welds alone are incredible.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevbd View Post
I think version 2 is worth it if only because the stock flex pipe rusts out so easily. Plus you get whatever extra performance it might bring.

By the way, the DP really is as good as everyone says - the welds alone are incredible.
true. i got the V2 and it is beautiful. the quality and finish are unmatched. good point about replacing the stock flex pipe as well.

i paired the DP with the BSR catback and it sounds great. very mellow and deep and i was pleasantly surprised how loud the turbo sounds both inside and outside of the car. not sure of the power gains of the V1/V2... i have only been commuting with snow tires but i did get a chance to drive on the highway and the car feels and pulls so much smoother and i have seen a slight increase in combined miles per gallon. i need to clean my air filter though. it's nasty. once spring comes i plan to do a software update as well.

back to the OP- i'd consider the version 2 over 1 for above reason of replacing stock flex pipe. face it, it's going to rust off anyways. what kind of shape is the rest of your exhaust in?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Elder

i put a GS downpipe on my dad's 9-5. it's definitely a beautiful piece.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

well both of my flexpipes are near mint at the moment, even a little shiny... gotta love a southern car

they'll probably both rust out by the end of winter here
well i guess time will tell which way i go when it comes time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in