rear brakes? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Elder

rear brakes?

who runs what?

im torn between hawks and factory, i dont want to have too much pad in the rear obviously. i have HPS's in the front.

ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Factory.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Elder

cmon seth you know i need a little more to go on than that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to watkins
Since I needed a full brake job all around I have (gasp) Duralast Gold C-Max ceramics all around and have no complaints. This is pretty average driving though. My real test will come in the summer when I have my yearly mountain adventure.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Elder

I would recommend the OEM pads.

Are you just looking for info on pads? If rotors too, then brembos from eEuro.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Elder

no just along the lines of pads. the rotors may be toast but i dont want to replace those just to finally find some money for the 318 upgrade.

is any pad other than stock really just too much to put in the rear?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

mine...

6pot 330mm WP Pro (in conjunction with front 6 pot 336mm WP Pro).

Stock pedal feeling, way better stopping power!
https://www.saablink.net/forum/attach...1&d=1250972811

The stock brakes of an 9-3 Aero are not that efficient at stopping the car (just my 0.02$).
An real upgrade is the Nick T.`s Viggen brake kit. Go for it (with directional slotted discs, it looks great)!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Elder

i do drive a viggen so the brakes are somewhat decent minus the nose dive.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
Elder

I find that my NG has very little nose dive, especially when compared to most cars I have ever been in. I would just go with Hawk all the way around, balance is already there with the stock hardware so no reason to upset that in my view.

|
|
Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yes I agree with christian.

EDIT: I just realized GS doesn't have rear hawk hps brakes so if you're going through GS, I guess my next choice would be the oem pads. You can get them for 65 bucks at autopartswarehouse.com though.

Last edited by NeedForSwede; 11-27-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

I did the 03 Aero rear swap on my Viggen since the rear calipers froze and ate my EBC rears discs. Picked up a full kit from EFA last year that had vented discs, calipers, dust shields, pads, and E-brake equipment for an unbelievably great deal and haven't had a problem with them yet. And since all his parts are from Cali cars, they were in great shape!

Just something to consider.

2010 Ducati 1198s
2003 Audi RS6 Revo Stage 2 (515/500)
2000 Audi A6 Avant (For Sale)
2000 Viggen-JZW tuned GT3071 .64A/R topmount
1998 Dodge Quadcab-Kenne Bell SC
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
Elder

unfortunately im not made of money yet. so i will prolly just be buying pads unless i win some cash in vegas next week.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Elder

I like OEM pads because they provide decent stopping ability without creating much dust.

eEuro all the way.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Greenstuffs on the 9-5 Aero rear calipers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
unfortunately im not made of money yet. so i will prolly just be buying pads unless i win some cash in vegas next week.
you're coming to my neck of the woods?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
Elder

yeah ill be there friday-the next saturday.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

lemme know what your plans are, depending on work, i might be able to pay up on a beer or two i owe you. =)
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Elder

I have red stuffs on the back and yellow stuffs on the front and absolutely love the combo.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
Elder

i do not run ebc products unfortunately.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Greenstuffs on the 9-5 Aero rear calipers.
greenstuffs really are the absolute worst brake pad i have ever used in my entire life.

i've used the following:

ebc greenstuff
ebc redstuff
ebc yellowstuff

hawk hps
hawk hp+
hawk blue 9012

akebono street performance

of those, i would recommend the redstuff, yellowstuff, and hp+ for a higher power street saab.

the greenstuff was complete shit. greenstuff pads + ebc rotors, and i couldnt even lock up my front tires from 30mph on my ng900 with good tires. they are fucking terrible.

ebc redstuff, and yellowstuff i found to be pretty similar in street driving. my redstuff pads are VERY loud when it is below freezing, until they've gotten some heat into them. i imagine the yellowstuff is worse. not a problem, just something to keep in mind. i've yet to experience fade with either the yellowstuff or redstuff pads (including a full track day at BIR with redstuff pads and a near empty track). i currently have red stuff pads in my white ng900, front and back.

the HPS pads were not as bad as the greenstuff pads, but i'd skip them.

i found the hp+ pads to be similar to the redstuff pads, but with a little more dust. i currently have these in my dark NG900 with the brembo BBK up front, in both front and back.

the blues are an awesome track pad, but they arent great if they are not warmed up. will be purchasing a set of these as a track only pad, but wouldnt run them on the street.

the akebono street ceramic pads were low dust, quiet, and had good initial bite. they were in my spg, and while i never did any track days or sustained spirited driving with them, i suspect they would not hold up well.

if you have any sort of power modifications at all, upgraded brakes are a must in my opinion.

i'd go with ebc redstuff, yellowstuff, or hawk hp+ pads.

Last edited by Castor Troy; 11-30-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in