Chassis flex? Worn shocks? Trying to put my finger on it - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Chassis flex? Worn shocks? Trying to put my finger on it

Hey guys, looking to try and tackle one of my biggest disappointments with this car and as you already know its the ride and handling. So far have the 22 ARB and picking up the Steerign rack/clamp and possibly the subframe brace next month. Just cant put my finger on the possible problem area...

Problem is what I think is side to side flex upsetting the cars balance on the highway. Alot of the highways I travel on here have bumps or dips toward the outer edges of the highway so when I am cruising at say 70 -75 and one sid eof the car dips mroe than the other it really seems to upset the car and i have to make small steering corrections. This along with the bad stock steering rack and brace can sometimes make long, bumpy turns a bit of an eye opener. Is this the subframe flex thats common on these cars or just bad shocks? I did the bounce test and I only get a bump and a half so it doesnt feel too bad but obviously not 100%.

Cars seems to be a little more uneasy with gusts of wind at higher speeds too. All of this is much better at lower speeds as well.

That being said, I do have 55 series winter tired on there now so this def adds to the floaty feeling a bit but did experience these symptoms on my stock Viggen wheels with 45 tires.

As always, any help would be much appreciated!

99' Viggen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I am sure if your shocks are stock they are toast..... get the koni kit with spring/shocks, much better ride & handling. My 2K viggen's shocks were dead around 50K miles & I didn't replace them untill 85K.......

These chassis are pretty crappy so many of those issues we just have to deal with....... but the correct springs/shocks do wonders as well as the VRK

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Yeah forgot to mention the front struts have been replaced about 2 years ago. The rears are original, as far as I know. Maybe a full shock and spring upgrade is needed but was hoping to get the SRB/C and 6 point to help correct the problem as much as possible. I have about 108k on the car.

Anyone else experienced this type of float/bounciness over bumps on the highway?

I may just bite the bullet and get the 6 point and hope it helps and then make a decision about full shcok/spring replacement. If I am selling the car in a year or so, it is hard to justify the cost but then again I will enjoy it much more in that time. Sometimes I wish I din't care and could just live with it but im so anal about this car. Come on promotion, come my way soon!

99' Viggen

Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Elder

start with the 6 point, front strut bar, and rear strut brace. that will stiffen up the chassis plenty.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

if the rears are OEM they are causing a lot of the issues, at least that would be my guess. But getting a vrk will definantly get some of that annoying wiggle out of the wheel.

My first weekend with my viggen I took it to a roadcoarse & I couldn't beleive how much the steering wheel wiggles going through high g turns. the VRK eliminated the majority of it........

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Elder

some of this might be alignment too. I know we have done 15/16/17 in. wheel swaps here and some cars you can bearly drive untill they are aligned correctly for the wheel and tire size.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Alignment and new LH control arm were put in a few weeks ago. I am going to get the 6-point qnd SRC&B in a couple weeks and report back. Any improvement in the steering and chassis rigidity over bumps would be worth it! I should have done this a year ago when I got the car but all my money went to preventative maintenance.

I am starting to think the larger, more flexy sidewall on my cheap winter tires is really amplifying the problem. It mostly seems liek side to side flex. Will see how it is after the 6 point.

Thanks,
-Ryan

99' Viggen
Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Viggen View Post
Alignment and new LH control arm were put in a few weeks ago. I am going to get the 6-point qnd SRC&B in a couple weeks and report back. Any improvement in the steering and chassis rigidity over bumps would be worth it! I should have done this a year ago when I got the car but all my money went to preventative maintenance.

I am starting to think the larger, more flexy sidewall on my cheap winter tires is really amplifying the problem. It mostly seems liek side to side flex. Will see how it is after the 6 point.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Actually the tall soft tires "grab" the road less, and drive much more smoothly. The short stiff tires grab ruts and move the car around, and are generally more difficult to drive if one side of the road is bumpy/groovey.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Hmm I guess my assumptions were wrong. Bushings maybe? High wind gusts or bumps while cornering seem to make it dance a little. It feel a little skiterish at high speeds, no vibrations or anything just wiggles and bounces a bit when there is stress put on the supension. Undertr is on and seems to be in good condition.

It isnt violent or anything like that at all just a noticeable floaty feeling, like things are fastened but not all the way and feel a little loose.

99' Viggen
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Elder

Well snow tires are like that, they float and squirm at high speeds, that's just how they are designed.

The steering rack clamp + brace will do wonders though, that should be a top priority.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Will do! Thought it had some effect but the added bracing and steering clamp should only help. Thanks again guys for the help and wisdom, will report back after the Christmas goodies come in. Really looking forward to it!

99' Viggen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in