gt3076 .86 turbo-lag? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
SAABeginner

gt3076 .86 turbo-lag?

I got this great offer on a gt3076 .86wg right now. Considering the price, i should buy it right now. But it's quite a big turbo (for me at least), since i didn't have any plans for more than 350hp+.
So i'm asking you guys. How will the drivability be with this turbo on a 2.0 vs. 2.3? At what rpm will the boost reach 1bar and 1.5bar? And what can be done to minimize turbo-lag?

before i got this offer i was considering the gt3071 .64wg witch i think is a better turbo for this application. But the offer i got is about 1/4 of the new price.

What do you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #2

Buy it, then swap the housing with someone wanting to go bigger....

Win-Win..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Buy it, then swap the housing with someone wanting to go bigger....

Win-Win..
Quality advice.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

How used is the turbo?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
How used is the turbo?
Not much. I can still see a white writing on one of the blades on the exhaust side.
But how much. I dont know... Barely used.

Of course i could swap the housing(expensive to buy?) with someone.

Is there anyone who has any facts about spoolup-time with this or related turbos in 2.0 and 2.3 saab engines?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
My 2.3/gt3071 .64 was fully spooled by about 4300 rpms.

I could get about 10PSI around 3200 or so.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
a12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talker View Post
Not much. I can still see a white writing on one of the blades on the exhaust side.
But how much. I dont know... Barely used.

Of course i could swap the housing(expensive to buy?) with someone.

Is there anyone who has any facts about spoolup-time with this or related turbos in 2.0 and 2.3 saab engines?
It'll start ramping up quickly around 5000 rpm on the 2.0, maybe a little sooner on the 2.3.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12 View Post
It'll start ramping up quickly around 5000 rpm on the 2.0, maybe a little sooner on the 2.3.
That late?? Oh my..

So what do i need to change to get a quicker spool? I'm no turbo expert at all.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #9

Swap housings is probably your best bet. There are some people with setups that can really utilize that late spool up/power, unless you are planning on going that route as well.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Well. I was thinking of 350hp. And maybe upto 400. But dunno yet.
This turbo is capable of 520hp at least, but the internal wastegate is quite a bottleneck. So now it capable of 400+++
Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #11

What model car do you have? Year and such.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
JZW
Elder

Quote:
That late?? Oh my..

So what do i need to change to get a quicker spool? I'm no turbo expert at all.
I had the gt3071wg .64ar and then got the .86ar and my turbo spooled up a good 800rpm later with that housing. I was close to 5k by full boost !

John
Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I had the gt3071wg .64ar and then got the .86ar and my turbo spooled up a good 800rpm later with that housing. I was close to 5k by full boost !

John
Are you talking about GT3071 ar .64 vs. GT3071 ar 0.86 or 3071 ar 64 vs 3076 ar0.86?
If i recall correctly the 3071 0.86 housing you had was toast and would not pay too much attention to what was obtained with it.

to orig poster, in my old post there are plenty of logs but here is a quick one (use search for more)
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/housing/boost64_86_21.gif
all other HW the same, only housing changed. Car 2.3 and equipped with Enem9.6 lift cams at time when log was taken. The 3076 0.86 in terms of spool will be further up than the 3071 ar 0.86 and think its a bit overkill for you bhp needs.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
Are you talking about GT3071 ar .64 vs. GT3071 ar 0.86 or 3071 ar 64 vs 3076 ar0.86?
If i recall correctly the 3071 0.86 housing you had was toast and would not pay too much attention to what was obtained with it.

to orig poster, in my old post there are plenty of logs but here is a quick one (use search for more)
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/housing/boost64_86_21.gif
all other HW the same, only housing changed. Car 2.3 and equipped with Enem9.6 lift cams at time when log was taken. The 3076 0.86 in terms of spool will be further up than the 3071 ar 0.86 and think its a bit overkill for you bhp needs.
The current owner uses this turbo on a 2.0, and reaches 1.8bar much earlier than 5000rpm. 4000 maybe.

I know its a bit overkill. But i need a new turbo anyway. And the price was right. And who knows... Maybe i'm going full in.

But if i changed from ar .86 to ar.64? Would the spool be better then? Or are additional changes needed?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
The current owner uses this turbo on a 2.0, and reaches 1.8bar much earlier than 5000rpm. 4000 maybe.

I know its a bit overkill. But i need a new turbo anyway. And the price was right. And who knows... Maybe i'm going full in.

But if i changed from ar .86 to ar.64? Would the spool be better then? Or are additional changes needed?
Spool would definitely be better, but you'd have more top end with the bigger housing....
Old 11-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Yep so of your goal is right around 350-400hp, there's absolutely no reason to use the .86 housing. .64 housing meets your lag and spool goals it seems. If you're getting such a good deal on it anyways then it won't hurt to spend a little more on a new housing.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Spool would definitely be better, but you'd have more top end with the bigger housing....
Yeah but then it comes down to how long you have top end before needing to shift and spool up all over again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
run anti-lag, i dont care if its a street car.

Realistically, I think someone on here or somewhere will want to pick up that bigger housing, I'll bet it could be sold/traded.

Other than smaller housing and anti-lag (completely unrealistic) what are other ways to reduce lag? Port matching and timing right? anything else?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Yeah but then it comes down to how long you have top end before needing to shift and spool up all over again.
A good point...

The 3076/.86 might be a better match for the 2.3 instead of the 2.0. My 3071/.64 spools up a bit too fast for my tastes, but the cams should help...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
SAABeginner

Quote:
A good point...

The 3076/.86 might be a better match for the 2.3 instead of the 2.0. My 3071/.64 spools up a bit too fast for my tastes, but the cams should help...
Oh. Maybe i didn't say.. i'm gonna convert to 2.3. How come it spools too fast? Why do you think so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in