Need Help!!! B234 Odd Cyl. Wall Scarring=Engine Failure??? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
TSLMember

Need Help!!! B234 Odd Cyl. Wall Scarring=Engine Failure???

I do not drive a 900/9-3 but I needed to post this where it would get the most attention. I have a big issue and I am seeking the expertise of those who have had experience with a similar issue.

Well after cracking a piston in my t7 9-5, I built a b234 from the crank up...I went to GoldWing for a block Kyle assuered me it was with in Spec and I needed Std bearings and Rings, low mileage t7 head, and solid low mileage f35 trans.

In went:

New rod, main Bearings

Every seal was replaced

New water and oil pump

All timing/balance components were replaced

t5 cams went in new (to me) leak tested head

Re honed then New rings (ring gaps were all with in WIS spec)

New head bolts,t5 head gasket was used to eliminate piston clearance issues

At the same time MAF replace, DI replaced. Upgraded to a Hirsch stage 3 tune to run (came from a Nordic 3)

Babied motor for first 500 miles, Oil during break in was rotella 5w40,
Motor did not use nor leak a drop between changes, Nor any Coolant.

I play a bit in t7suite to watch knock cyl count, Filtered Miss fires, Mreq vs. Mair... and I did up the airmass to the limits of the Tdo4 so it was more than just a stage 3 more like 3+... yea I know not with at least a #6 housing and 18t. I have Walboro 255 w. Deka 60# inj... i use a inj constant of 429 to yeild a Amul of 297-399...Wideband is never over 12.5 wot, will spike to a rich 10ish sometimes at certain RPMs

But I really didn't care about the mitsu dying... I have other plans thanks to Vigge.

I have noticed that the MIFI count has been increasing lately, I had an odd p1303 miscellaneous misfires on cyl 3, then a p0100 the next day. These weren't even CEL DTC so no CEL, they were Fcod in SIDI function,no CEL was triggered, you can convert the Fcod from DEC to HEX or use a tech2.

Really worried about the Falshing CEL (again no DTC was stored I used Fcod in SIDI to find 1303) did a bit of research in WIS and found p0100 can have intermittent misfires as a precursor to MAF failure...so I cleaned the MAF with Elec Safe parts cleaner and put a new open air intake I had on...new plugs, oil change,Fuel injector cleaner...and off to dive to get my boy i went...

So I am driving to get my son today from his mom that lives in DC area, I live in Charlotte NC.

No smoke or oil consumption btw 3k mi oil changes, 12k miles on Motor rebuild to WIS spec.

Going 75mph after about 30 min I shift to 4th to get past one of those left lane riders that never gets over, and it looked like a scene out of Thunder Road, HUGE plume of smoke, I immediately got off the road and rolled to the stop at the top of the exit ramp 40 miles from home...

A friendly guy in a truck towed my car home with a MUddin chain after I ripped the f bumper off, and FMIC and such... Tore into her Deep for 3 hours tonight expecting to find another Catastrophic failure... Plug #3 was the only one with oil on it, in fact smoke was coming our for a few minutes after pulling the plugs, MIFI was on #3, I was sure it was #3 again...that was the piston I cracked on my t7 block...

I only found odd scarring of cyl walls, all rings were in tack????

I have no clue where to begin????

Scarring is evident on all Cyl walls 1,2,3 and 4. 3 is the worst, Scarring is evident on 2 sides of the cyl walls looking at #3 piston it is on both sides of piston too... 12 o'clock and 6'oclock position Cross hatching is destroyed and I am assuming this is where compression is lost...please help

PLEASE Help, I will rebuild again ... but whats the Deal... ?

Will Upload Photos As soon as my neighbors Internet picks up...yea I am that broke and still paying off motor build from the summer

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...20not%20Again/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in