GS shifter throw? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Elder

GS shifter throw?

i know nick lists it as an x% reduction in throw, but my question is how short is it really?

im after the shifter mostly because im hoping it will cure a little slop that annoys the hell out of me. i dont want to have an excessively short throw. which is what happend in my other car when i put in a short shifter, making me have to increase the height to add some throw back in.

any input?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
SAABeginner

Hello It definitely shortens the throw and takes "some" of the slop out of the shifting.If you have the poly mounts to stiffen up the engine it helps a little more.It does not equal a cable shifting system though.Still a good investment in my honest opinion.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gytre1 Send a message via Yahoo to gytre1
i love my shifter, not sure how long the throw is in an oem shifter since i never had it in before i just went to the short throw but its awesome.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Just get it - it's worth it
Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Elder

well thanks, but until i find out some more info, im not going to "just get it"

because what is worth it to you may not be worth it to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
it wont cure slop if you have wiggle room in your linkage and selection shaft comming out of your transmission
Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
SAABeginner

It is a good investment.It has a nice mechanical feel to it.Is there someone near u that has one you can try?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

the throw is still long compared to many sports cars. it is a great investment and shifting gears is much smoother. a stock miata or mustang is less throw than this one, the housing limits it from being too short
Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
it wont cure slop if you have wiggle room in your linkage and selection shaft comming out of your transmission
yes i know, my slop is in the shifter itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluv View Post
It is a good investment.It has a nice mechanical feel to it.Is there someone near u that has one you can try?
not that i know of.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
SAABeginner

there should be plenty near Rhode island and Connecticut.Just give A shout out and see who replies.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Nick's product page says it reduces throw from 5 to 3 3/8 inches.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Elder

...yes i know.

the fact being sure i can measure that on a ruler, but i also dont know where he measured that, and it probably wont help to go out with a ruler, although maybe.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

In my opinion the short throw is not worth it unless you really hate your shifting now (and I mean absolutely hate). For the $, it just doesn't make the car drive any better. With driving an manual s10, a c900, and my 9-3; shifting distance isn't a huge concern for me.

For what's it worth, I was struggling with a sloppy shifter and went with the uprated trans & engine mount from GS. Great products, barely increased vibrations (but now I notice the cracks in my defroster cover). If you have the money, then go for it. If not, save it for other upgrades!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
Elder

i already have the mounts, so i know it is not that.

its 140 bucks...not much in the terms of cash really, i just dont want to wind up wanting the stock shifter back since its a core return part.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
if you buy it and don't like it i'll buy it from you and give you my stock shifter.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

^ There you go; now you have no excuse to pull the trigger
Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
you could probably pick up another core cheap. Send that it. If you don't like it there's no down time swapping when you sells the short one to another person.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
Elder

well i only live like 30 from him, so i would probably just drive up with my tools and do it at his place, or if he comes to the shop day we could swap it then if he doesn't like it.

shop day thread will be coming soon btw.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
shop day thread will be coming soon btw.
Please, I hope its not thanksgiving break... Or after the ng900 gets shipped early december.

|
|
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Elder

you were supposed to pm me with the dates that you will be home. nooobb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in