need new pads, rotors - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

need new pads, rotors

I need new pads and rotors for my 2000 9-3. I can be a vary spirited driver and have done autocross a few times. Im thinking of just keeping the bakes stock, but I have seen some slotted rotors for cheap, the only thing is I don't want my pads to wear out faster...What setups would you recommend and is the redeeming factor of the slotted rotors perhaps cost affective if one is a spirited driver?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

Find a set of Viggen or 9-5 Aero front caliper brackets. Im sure the pads and calipers are the same. The Viggen rotors are only slotted in one direction, so one is backward. If you get them from Nick, you can get them slotted correctly. I'm very happy with the way the Viggen brake setup works. There are other options, but they are more $$. I got the low dust pads, but they sacrifice some stopping power. Avoid the knock off drilled and slotted rotors. They look cheesy IMHO and can crack easier if pushed hard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy View Post
Avoid the knock off drilled and slotted rotors. They look cheesy IMHO and can crack easier if pushed hard.
Get a set of rotors from Nick at genuine. He x-drills/slots brembo rotors. Also I loved the Redstuff pads, they are a little more grippy when heated up than the GreenStuff.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I agree with Marksy on getting a hold of the Aero front caliper carrier. Allows for bigger rotors. I also did that with the rears on my '97 Talladega. I can't speak to the pads. I put Hawks on the front and satisfied on the rears. Great pads, but if you are going to autoX I think Marks900SE has a good set up with Nicks rotors and redstuff pads.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
JK
Elder

Hawk makes a bunch of different pad types, which did you have?

As some general advice, I will suggest NOT getting Greenstuff, don't even consider them. They are the worst brake pad that I've never thrown away. Not even sure why I've left them on the car so long, they are very underwhelming. Redstuff have been great though. Odd.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Agree with what everyone said, for spirited driving and limited autocross I think the Viggen/Aero setup is pretty good. Rotors and pads from Nick are the way to go. An alternative, which I just got and am pretty happy with, are the Premium series rotors from R1 Concepts. A bit cheaper but are nice none the less. Painted hats are nice to prevent that ugly rust corrosion. Fronts are great, the rears are too however have a bit more surface area than the ones I had previously. There is a small area right where the pad isnt in contact with the rotor (just outside where it bolts to the hub) so there is a small ring of rust. . Just cosmetic but I am anal so notice it all the time. Either way both, are nice products.

99' Viggen
Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Elder

After running these discs on the lemons car, these will be my next disc purchase for basically any car I own down the road:

http://www.frozenrotors.com/store/1489%20FZR

You probably can't go wrong with EBC Red Stuffs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
After running these discs on the lemons car, these will be my next disc purchase for basically any car I own down the road:

http://www.frozenrotors.com/store/1489%20FZR

You probably can't go wrong with EBC Red Stuffs
this.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Elder

And they really aren't that much more than the OEM rotor, and $25more each than Nick's slotted rotors.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
And they really aren't that much more than the OEM rotor, and $25more each than Nick's slotted rotors.
How do they feel on the road? Do they just handle/dissipate heat better than stock? Although I don't mean to discount the importance of that.

2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog View Post
How do they feel on the road? Do they just handle/dissipate heat better than stock? Although I don't mean to discount the importance of that.
There's a 95% chance you won't notice a difference during daily driving. On the track they just don't give up, and the life is amazing.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
JK
Elder

The Frozen Rotors from last year's Lemons car (where I believe we put over 1000 track miles on the car) still look like new aside from some surface rust on the hats from sitting for a while before I parted the car out.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

I have EBC rotors that are slotted and dimpled on my Viggen with hawk hps pads and they both have held up great for the past two years.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Elder

I will put a vote in for EBC redstuff pads. I have the EBC rotors (dimpled and slotted) and would probably have just gotten Nick's rotors or these frozen rotors if I have known better at the time.

|
|
Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
hawk makes a bunch of different pad types, which did you have?

As some general advice, i will suggest not getting greenstuff, don't even consider them. They are the worst brake pad that i've never thrown away. Not even sure why i've left them on the car so long, they are very underwhelming. Redstuff have been great though. Odd.
hps

2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog View Post
hps
I think JK might have meant the type of HPS pad since there are several compounds depending on the intended use.

|
|
Old 11-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I think JK might have meant the type of HPS pad since there are several compounds depending on the intended use.
HPS is correct. Then there is HP plus and Performance Ceramic.

2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
TSLMember

I am planning on getting the slotted brembo's and hawk pads from GS for my brake job.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #19

another vote for Hawk HPS....

crazy stopping power and nice progressive action...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in