Upgraded T7 turbo - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Upgraded T7 turbo

Anyone know anything about upgrading the turbo on a viggen. Cost, style, etc., let me know
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
More to it than that. How much power are you looking for?

Do a search on the subject. If you want 300whp plus you also need to replace the pistons for peace of mind. That just went from a little project, to a BIG one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I really am no expert on this subject, however I know that you can upgrade the turbine wheels on the tdo4 15t which t7 viggens have. You will neet to send out the turbo to be balanced etc... Also, often people will upgrade the turbine housing with the Aero version as it allows more flow. Long story short, you will need to pull your turbo and send it away to be upgraded and balanced rendering your car useless untill it returns. Or buy a cheap TDO4 turbo which already needs rebuilding and send it off to get the turbines upgraded etc.... If you are interested in buying a unit to send out I have one which I took out of my 99 viggen which has a destroyed exhaust turbine and shaft. There is no damage to the housing etc... perfect candidate for an upgrade. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Just wondring what killed your stock turbo, THAEDGE. I have 135k on my 00' TD04 with 5,000 of those at stg. 3. Wondering how much is left in the Mitsubishi. Sorry I'm not helping the OP but, this has been covered before. Im thinking you need to send a PM to Chadwick. I hear he has done great things to turbos.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Elder

The most common upgrade is to the 18t wheel, but the 5cm2 exhaust housing isn't the best to do that. The 9000 Aero TD04 featured a 6cm2 exhaust housing which obviously has better flow. I think injectors are needed for the 18t, and you really should consider forged pistons.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

On an 18t, you do not need pistons, sure they are a great upgrade, but just get a tune with a safe amount of torque/HP (Keep whp under 280) and you will be fine. Just make sure your car is in perfect tune. Get seimen 60 lb injectors, a better cobra pipe,a tune, etc and you are off. If you can, get a road tune that you or the tuner can adjust over a few days so you can get it perfect.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

been there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH99Viggen View Post
Anyone know anything about upgrading the turbo on a viggen. Cost, style, etc., let me know
Check my thread on turbo and the previous disscusions on trubo
If you stay stock with the engine, TD04HL18 is the most.
For TD04HL119 with the 6cm^2 exhaust and up (GT BB28 or GT3071, or even Holset), meaning over 300 HP, you need forged pistons (just in case).
And for any turbo above GT28, you need a different exhaust manifold, another downpipe, thiner fan, s.o.
My advise: search for a TD04HL18 and be done with it! (280 HP)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I never realized viggen bottom ends were that fragile considering some seem to dyno 230whp...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
I never realized viggen bottom ends were that fragile considering some seem to dyno 230whp...
The bottom end isn't the issue, it's the pistons. If you are going to pump out over 300hp on a T7 car those fancy stock pistons like to melt. Other then that the engine internally is good to go. The only thing to manage is air and fuel as you bump things up.

Last edited by liketheword; 11-09-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
The bottom end itself has seen 500+hp. As it's been said, its the pistons. But approaching 300whp is plenty for a FWD car. I bet there are plenty looking for big power that still have open diffs too. For balance, 270whp and an LSD with the right tires and suspension will make for a solid car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Elder

more or less any kind of bigger turbo upgrade will require forged pistions....unless you get your hands on the B234 out of 94+ 9000's. That entire motor will handle 400+hp stock and be happy about it. There 99% direct drop in for the viggen.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 11-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Yeah, when I got my viggen the engine was seized because it was one big block of sludge, we're talking taking a chisel to the oil pan and still not being able to remove all the gunk. I can't even explain the consistancy of what was caked to every engine surface, it's amazing the PO was able to drive it as long as he did. So that ended up killing the turbo too. I used a
B234 bottom end from a '96 9000 turbo which uses the bullet proof pistons, and replaced the turbo with a used one with 40k on it. In the end I got myself a 99' viggen with a fully rebuilt motor for a very reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in