Not to beat a dead horse or anything. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Not to beat a dead horse or anything.

I looked through the stickied exhaust thread and the links all go to Ebaum's home page. I need exhaust for my 97 900se. I was gathering parts to go 3" s/s from the turbo back. My plan was to run through a 3" Magnaflow cat and a single 3" Flowmaster. Has anyone done this before? I'm thinking this might be a little loud I'm really not trying to attract "the man". Final question on this topic is there a good source for an adapter to a stock turbo? I can reduce the 3" down right at the turbo but hate to go this far to cheap out on the final 2" of pipe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
on my 99 9-3 i had a stock dp and a "saab sport" cat back.

i got pulled over 3 times for it. never ticketed, but definatly got attention.

now i have a 3" dp, race cat, with a 2.5" cat back with center res and rear muffler. slightly louder than stock at idle, but sounds really mean at WOT.

personally i love that, i have the sonett with a glasspack for the obnoxious sound
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #3

A cat and a Flowmaster should be fine. It will probably have some burble to it, but not obnoxiously loud.

Not sure of what you mean by an adapter....do you mean a flange that connects from the stock exhaust to a 3 inch pipe?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Thanks for the quick response. I like burble, not a fan of attention from "the man". By adapter I mean on the turbo there is a 3 bolt flange and a flair on the existing 2 1/2"? pipe. I plan on running 3" stainless and Tri-clover style clamps all the way I really hate to spend that much time and effort only to have to scab onto the existing mild steel flaired piece right at the turbo. I would like to find at the least a stainless flaired piece so I don't have to worry about galvanic corosion.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
JK
Elder

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=621

That's what you're looking for. Good quality piece.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

flowmasters are bad for turbo charged cars .... you want a straight through muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #7

i have A magnaflow cat and magna straight thru muffler in full three inch. definatly has some "burble" and not super loud. also depends where you locate the muffler at first i had the muffler where the center muffler was with a side exit.... really loud! then finnaly finished it out the back and it made the ride in the car so much nicer. i think if i put it where the rear muffler was it would be even quiter
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #8

and for the adapter i bought mine off gs but you could cut it off the old exhaust
Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I have a flowmaster 40 series on my ng and it sounds like shit unless you're floored. Go for a glasspack or something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Elder

I'm a big advocate of magnaflow, thats what is one my JSP full 3" exhaust (magnaflow cat and muffler) and I love it... Can't be any better in my humble opinion.

|
|
Old 11-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I agree, the flowmaster on my car has ricey rasp.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
I agree, the flowmaster on my car has ricey rasp.
Needs more flow.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
TSLMember

Videos or it didn't happen!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydegaard View Post
Videos or it didn't happen!
If you are asking for videos of certain exhausts, I guess I can post mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJzUI3RnZI

Full JSP 3" stainless, magnaflow cat and rear muffler. Nothing else.

|
|
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Elder

do you have a td04 or a t25 on your car?

that makes a pretty significant difference in the volume of the exhaust.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Elder

That was with a TD04. It sounds quite a bit different now with a big t28, plus the added exhaust flow.

|
|
Old 11-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
Burble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubh6lVxqb8c

Rasp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbP2...eature=channel
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 11-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTBQgiOTfpQ

from inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kbuXa-8dTI

i dont attract much attention with my car unless i'm going hard on the throttle
Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Nice, exhaust sounds good. My starter decided to crap out today so looks like the exhaust gets pushed down the list a little bit. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Elder

Not flair, flare. Just a friendly reminder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in