'99 9-3 head problems/swap - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
SAABeginner

'99 9-3 head problems/swap

Hello Everybody! So I am a new member but I have been thankful for all the good reading and tips on this site for a while. My problem car is a $800 '99 9-3, the head is warped to much to cut and has stress cracks. I am looking for a cheap replacement and/or a performance improvement over stock. I was looking for an early 9000 turbo motor to swap in but I cannot find any 9000's with a turbo engine (aside for hella $ on the internet). Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that a T-7 head will fit on my T-5 car assuming that I change to the T-7 intake as well. The donor car I am looking at is a '99 9-5, but as of the moment I don't if it is a 2.0 or 2.3. I am not sure how much the head itself will be, but I am pretty sure that they will only charge $200 for the whole engine, so now I've done got myself thinkn again. I am wondering if I can rebuild and bolt up in the b235 or b205 long block (plus intake) to my transmission and car and run on the T5 system. To me this seems like a good idea since the T-7 head flows better, and the extra stoke probably wouldn't hurt either!! I am also really worried about the oil pump on the 9-5 and I am also wondering if anyone has successfully installed the older b204 pump on it. I know that was a lot at once, but any feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much everybody!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Elder

If its only the head, look for a 94-98 NG 900 head or a 99-02 OG 9-3 head and swap heads. Thats' the shortest path to fix the engine/get it going.

Additional preformance can be had from upgrading/flashing the ECU(Engine management system), bigger downpipe and intercooler.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Thanks for the reply! & Yeah you are probably right about just doing a direct head swap instead of getting all shadetree with it; but do you know or have you heard of if it to work? I just hate to spend money and not get something better. Also this may be a really stupid question, but if i did do the direct swap is there any difference between an NG 900 and NG 9000 heads? I ask cause I can find a few 9000 heads locally and cheap, but not any 900's. Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
TSLMember

NG900 heads will definately work. Some 9000 heads should work but it depends on whether it's a long block or a short block, as far as i know.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
JZW
Elder

Yea, ng900 94-98 and 9k 94-98 have the same heads and cams, no difference.

The 1999 93 has the same t5 head as well.

CHeck saab used parts places and find a good core,

John
Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
If you wanna go full-tilt get a T7 long block w/ all the accessories and swap-in your T5 internals, IIRC that should work. However, you will still be @ a 2L displacement but now w/ better flow (thanks to the head) and the stronger internals. The down side is the oiling setup isn't quite as beefy as on the T5 cars...

Personally the gain in flow isn't worth the hassle in swapping and loss of superior oiling.

Last edited by liketheword; 11-05-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in