Clutch disks on GS - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Clutch disks on GS

So I see GS has added another puck clutch disk. Anyone have any insider info on this versus the SPEC 3 also available? From what it states, it may have a little less holding strength??? Not sure where stage 4 power levels are since everyone's definition of stages is different.

I imagine Nick will chime in with some good info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Ducati 1198s
2003 Audi RS6 Revo Stage 2 (515/500)
2000 Audi A6 Avant (For Sale)
2000 Viggen-JZW tuned GT3071 .64A/R topmount
1998 Dodge Quadcab-Kenne Bell SC
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Elder

it's a better overall design than the spec disks.

i believe he will be running this new disk in his drag car, if that tells you anything about it's holding capacity.

look at the bottom, it says for stg4 and up
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

yeah, I went back and reread the description and saw the Stage 4 and UP!
Good stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Ducati 1198s
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Elder

watch trolltuner.com, nick is going to be doing a post on these disks in the next couple of days
Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

and it's cheaper than Spec, I think I'll finally make a move for an upgraded clutch
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Just noticed this the other night when I was about to pull the trigger on a Vig clutch kit... Now I'm going to wait to see what Nick has to add.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Looks a lot like the one I put in mine about a year ago.... at that price, no reason not to buy it from Nick.... I certainly will when it needs replaced. I put this in when I went stage 5, now it's got the HX35 and so far, it doesn't seem to be even thinking about slipping... I'm using it with a Viggen PP.... but then again, it might not be the same....either way, I'll buy it next go around ....

Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
It'll be the clutch I'll be purchasing over this winter/spring for the Viggen... saw it on his site yesterday while pricing out parts.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Same here. I have been slowly collecting parts for my transmission build. I have a lighten stock flywheel, new Viggen PP, and Quaife sitting on my bench waiting. Just need to order the install kit, ARPs, disk, and the update kit!

2010 Ducati 1198s
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
User
Elder

See, I'm not sure if I should pick up a new pressure plate or not... I was mainly thinking of just doing a flywheel resurface (maybe a lighten), gs disk, and a slave cylinder.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I would go with a resurfaced flywheel for 2 reasons: 1) It's cheaper and 2) the reduced weight of the FW reduces load which means it will take a little longer to build full boost.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
I would go with a resurfaced flywheel for 2 reasons: 1) It's cheaper and 2) the reduced weight of the FW reduces load which means it will take a little longer to build full boost.
Should I replace my pressure plate?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

I would say yes. I picked mine up on partsgeek.com for a little over hundey shipped...and yes it is a Sachs Viggen plate.

2010 Ducati 1198s
Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
I would say yes. I picked mine up on partsgeek.com for a little over hundey shipped...and yes it is a Sachs Viggen plate.
Good to know. I have been contemplating it and couldn't quite figure out if I should or not... I guess I will.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Change pressure plate for sure.

I do remember Nick mentioning working up a new one with somebody, I guess this is what they came up with. Or maybe it's as Moosepuck said and 'borrowed' from someone else.

Either way, looks great but I hope I don't have to buy one anytime soon. My torque numbers aren't that high so I expect my 2.5 year old stage 3 will continue to hold up for awhile.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Stock replacement Viggen clutch kit is holding up fine on my car. If its any help, the shop that did mine at 131k said the disc and slave were fine, but the PP threw a marcel spring. It was actually rubbing the disc. So yeah, replace the pressure plate. I hear this is a really easy job. I kick myself for not doing it myself. BTW - 500hp 11 sec car +MEGA clutch+stock trans= same place we were at with spec clutch (walking, extra vent holes in F35). NO?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy View Post
Stock replacement Viggen clutch kit is holding up fine on my car. If its any help, the shop that did mine at 131k said the disc and slave were fine, but the PP threw a marcel spring. It was actually rubbing the disc. So yeah, replace the pressure plate. I hear this is a really easy job. I kick myself for not doing it myself. BTW - 500hp 11 sec car +MEGA clutch+stock trans= same place we were at with spec clutch (walking, extra vent holes in F35). NO?
How come you went with a stock replacement Viggen disc as opposed to upgraded? Your running stage 3 SW aren't you?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
How come you went with a stock replacement Viggen disc as opposed to upgraded? Your running stage 3 SW aren't you?
I can't speak for him, but I think a lot of users over clutch their vehicles on this site. The stock viggen kit will hold up to a lot of abuse and I think "some" users buy spec and other clutch kits for no reason except to say they have them. Then they complain about massive amounts on noise, etc...
I have a viggen with an 18T, etc and the clutch is stock with 67k and it does not slip at all. My last dyno was over 310 ft lbs of torque. Unless you have a tune with mass amounts of torque, then IMO these clutches are overkill and cause more problems than they are worth.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #19
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
I can't speak for him, but I think a lot of users over clutch their vehicles on this site. The stock viggen kit will hold up to a lot of abuse and I think "some" users buy spec and other clutch kits for no reason except to say they have them. Then they complain about massive amounts on noise, etc...
I have a viggen with an 18T, etc and the clutch is stock with 67k and it does not slip at all. My last dyno was over 310 ft lbs of torque. Unless you have a tune with mass amounts of torque, then IMO these clutches are overkill and cause more problems than they are worth.
Well, I have the stock disc and pp, and mine slips like crazy with the stock TD04 and a stage 3 tune once I hit about 13-15psi...

Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
X2 on the overclutching.

My clutch held stage 3-4 for over 30k miles. It never really slipped once. It was pulled out at 55k and showed only 50% wear.

I put in a Spec stage 3 only because I was going to do a GT3071R. I would say a stock clutch is fine for normal street use up to stage 3 powerlevels. If you are hard on it and have more power Spec stage 2 is still probably overkill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in