Engine drop-outs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Engine drop-outs

Hi Folks,
I have got some problems with my 9-3 B204L with a few mods and tailored Hirsch Troll software.
Now the problem - at 5,8k-5,9 k rpm I am noticing drop-outs in 4th and 5th gear - it passes this area and adds speed therafter without this issue - I should mention that I am from and living in Germany. In lower gears I did not notice the same problem but that may be related to quickly passing this area.
My garage said this supposedly is a software issue whilst I am not sure if it could not also be mechanical. I had the engine overhauled about 5k miles back and as I did run in the engine thoroughly I am not sure if that issue appeared right after the overhaul but felt it was not there before. I am running 98 octane + 15% E85 (85% Etanol) and found this superior to the 100octane stuff offered by BP and Shell. Any idea?
Greetings
Andreas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

i remember experience something similar to what you described above and after speaking with the folks at CNC racing and Factor X here in Vegas, we came the conclusion it might have something to do with timing. check the obvious first, plugs, vaccuum lines, electrical grounds, etc, before you go digging around with your timing chain though. if everything checks out, time to bust out the timing gun. let me know how it turns out, because the car in said story hasn't been retimed yet, and the 'theory' hasn't been tested. =)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Just a side note: you are very lucky to be able to get 98 octane, then e85 on top of that. I wish i had easy access to one of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Thanks for the leads provided - it had been the injectors - two of them showed break outs of the plastic around the nozzle itself. Replaced it with new ones - smooth....

I have another topic where I believe to find know how here in this forum. I am running a stock Aero/Viggen TD04 right now but seriously consider an upgrade. Thanks to our German authorities I would intend to make it as less obvious as possible which directs to a Mitsu derivative. Speedparts of Sweden offers the TD 04 with #6 housing and 16T, 18T or 19T compressor wheel. Whilst I am looking to extend boost to and above 6'000 rpm I do not want to trade in too much low end spool up - at present the TD04 starts pushing at around 1'900rpm - with lag of course. Pressure is steady at 17,5 psi as of 2'500 dropping to around 13 at 6'000 rpm.

Is there any data a available how much those aspects would change using the 3 respective speedparts alternatives - base engine B204.

Best Regards
Andreas
Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
19t with #6 housing and clipped turbine wheel has made good results. You can see a dyno in the proof section.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline406 View Post
Just a side note: you are very lucky to be able to get 98 octane, then e85 on top of that. I wish i had easy access to one of those.
No kidding, it's hard enough finding 92 around here.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
there is someone on here that sells upgrades for the TD04 as well. If you can spare the downtime, you can have your -15t upgraded into a -19t

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Gunnar Send a message via Skype™ to Gunnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeboy View Post
No kidding, it's hard enough finding 92 around here.
Here in California we almost always just have 87, 89, and 91.

Occasionally you'll find a gas station that sells "Racing Fuel" of 95 or 97 octane but they want something like 7.50 a gallon...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b dash rian View Post
there is someone on here that sells upgrades for the TD04 as well. If you can spare the downtime, you can have your -15t upgraded into a -19t
Thanks - question is if that is the ideal set-up. To be more sprecific - I am ready to give up 500rpm for top end performance - means that I would like to have a set up that start providing load latest at 2'500rpm.

By the way - aren't your octane measures a bit different than in Europe - we use research octane value

Best Regards
Andreas
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang

That work for you? Since then it has been retuned and made 310whp. I drove the car and it felt very nice as a daily driver, spool felt just felt.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
yes, our octane is (ROM+MOM)/2, basically average of research and measured

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post

That work for you? Since then it has been retuned and made 310whp. I drove the car and it felt very nice as a daily driver, spool felt just felt.
This is what I will probably realistically "settle" for. Nice power delivery and enough power to be fun but civil.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post

Branden,

looks good and seem to not yet produce gearbox killing torque (this is what I like with the 2l engine, sufficient torque but lots of upside potential at high revs, no wonder that the pike's peak was based on the 2l) - I raised the same question with Speedparts/Sweden who offer #6 with 16T, 18T and 19T and they advised that there is no real noticeable lag in spool-up between 16 and 19T - amazing. But if that's the case then it's a no-brainer to go for the 19T.

Best Regards
Andreas
Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I believe you will want to upgrade your fuel injectors with the 19t if you haven't already.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveiron9688 View Post
I believe you will want to upgrade your fuel injectors with the 19t if you haven't already.
I have got a set of green giants waiting as well...

Best Regards
Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in