What Exhaust Parts art Most Important with Increasing MPG+Longevity of Car - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Question What Exhaust Parts art Most Important with Increasing MPG+Longevity of Car

I have been talking to a couple of exceptional people here on TSL and wanted to get other's feedback on this subject. The ultimate goal in mind here is to increase the gas mileage on the car and also the longevity, meaning, I know the Flex Pipe wears out in time and leads to poor gas mileage and same can be said of the DP.

How much can one expect to gain gas mileage wise by adding:

1) 3" DP
2) 3" Flex Pipe

Now lets say we add the 3" DP w/3" Flex.

What kind of further gains would be had gas mileage wise by adding or Keeping:

1) Stock system
2) 2.5" Aftermarket
3) 3" Aftermarket

I ask the part about keeping the stock exhaust after the flexpipe because I personally feel if any gas mileage gains are to be had, it's 85-95% in the DP/Flexpipe sections of the stock exhaust system. But I could be entirely wrong which is why I am asking others to chime.

Thanks all!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I have heard a lot of people say they get better gas milage with a tune... That is of course if they keep their foot off of the skinny pedal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
I ask the part about keeping the stock exhaust after the flexpipe because I personally feel if any gas mileage gains are to be had, it's 85-95% in the DP/Flexpipe sections of the stock exhaust system. But I could be entirely wrong which is why I am asking others to chime.
You are pretty much right here. I moved to a 3" DP with high flow cat and got a good 2-4mpg depending on all factors.

I imagine the rest of the exhaust isn't nearly as big of a factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Elder

Stock, it had always been run on 91-93 octane and was perpetually stuck at 20.3mpg. I have consistently returned about 25mpg at stage 5 now (even with an automatic tranny), and over 30mpg on the highway. Its amazing, double the horsepower with better gas mileage is a win-win for me.

Its also hard to say what each mod will give you as far as improvements in MPGs. If you want to know about improvements when using all those parts in combination with a tune that fully takes advantage of their benefits, then I am sure you will get better fuel mileage all round. At least in my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 10-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick responses. I suppose I'm trying to figure out which parts would make up the most improvement in terms of MPG and which would yield the least improvements.

Guess estimates of something like say:

3" DP=2-4mpg better
3" Flex=1-2mpg better if that?
Exhaust from Flex on back=1-2mpg better if that?

And all this taking into account the obvious=excellent tune which means everything, really, when adding on parts, turbos, etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i would go with the GS v2 downpipe since it will eliminate the flexpipe. do that and call it done.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Elder

Yes, the tune is literally everything.

|
|
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
i would go with the GS v2 downpipe since it will eliminate the flexpipe. do that and call it done.
So the VER2 that comes with the flexpipe (no flex in the pipe as it's just a straight pipe) along with a tune would net basically most of all the benefits gas mileage and longevity of the car granted the stock exhaust is obviously kept up/working properly?

Have a rough guess on the percentage of gain for mpg of the GS VER2 setup in the equation?

I put in my guess of 85-95% of the exhaust's gain.

Thanks a lot and again to everyone else in the thread and on TSL.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
yeah the v2 replaces the flexpipe with a strait 3" stainless pipe that bolts right up to the cat-back with clamps.

great quality product. and with teh race cat it will flow much better.

mileage is all about having the engine breath more efficiently so you would also want the large intake pipe.

the disadvantage of doing all this is if you drive conservatively you will get great gas mileage. but also if you drive with your foot in it quite a bit, you will go alot faster...but get worse mileage.

remember mileage is not so much about what you drive but HOW you drive.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
srp
Elder

Every car is different... No way someone can tell you how much MPG your going to gain. Also depends on the enviroment you drive in. And like viggen kid said, how you drive.

Also, tuning and car for more performance will in turn decrease the overall longevity of the car. However replacing certain componenets with high quality pieces, such as GS's DP which is stainless, will increase the life of that component.

Whats with needing all the numbers anyway? Gotta have some numbers to prove to your wife the mods are worth purchasing???
Old 10-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Whats with needing all the numbers anyway? Gotta have some numbers to prove to your wife the mods are worth purchasing???
Haha, thats how I initially convinced my parents to allow me to get my first round of mods. I even made a spreadsheet (based on somewhat inflated numbers) on how much money it would save in gas over the year.

|
|
Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #12

Hahaha. Yeah. My wife is thoroughly po'd about the gas we're getting right now so in with the exhaust and 02 sensors and out with whatever we have. Will tune it and see what more there is to deal with.

Just wanted to get an idea of how dramatic each part of the exhaust is vs. the other.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
srp
Elder

What kind of gas mileage are you currently getting?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
What kind of gas mileage are you currently getting?
8-10mpg...LOL!!!!

No bad smoke, no gas smells, but I think my 02's must be shot and flexpipe could well be toast. Observation of it looks just fine, but I haven't jacked up the car to confirm.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
srp
Elder

Seriously??? Something ain't right man...

My Wrangler get's 15 mpg highway with 4.10's, 33's and an auto-tragic. lol...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Seriously??? Something ain't right man...

My Wrangler get's 15 mpg highway with 4.10's, 33's and an auto-tragic. lol...
Yeah no joke. When I saw that the other day on fill-up, I honestly couldn't think of another car that gets as bad of gas mileage. Oh, but the guy at Chevron said the Tech, the gas they have has Tech in it sooo...I'm surely making 80-100 to the gallon now

I think it's time for some O2 sensors, exhaust, and take it from one step at a time to eliminate this issue.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

8-10mpg? Are you sure you don't have a Cam out of time by one tooth? I've got a set of 72lb injectors that do better than that.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
8-10mpg? Are you sure you don't have a Cam out of time by one tooth? I've got a set of 72lb injectors that do better than that.
I sure hope not. Average on the flats is 20mpg and that's doing 60-125mph (80mph average). It's only when my wife drives the car 2-3 miles a day with a total of 2 start ups and 2 shut downs. When the car is actually out on the road and getting some driving time in, it gets a lot better gas. But going to work is two stop signs and that's about it. It's a very slow 25mph commute

If only she would drive a cheap car to work to get better gas.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
I sure hope not. Average on the flats is 20mpg and that's doing 60-125mph (80mph average). It's only when my wife drives the car 2-3 miles a day with a total of 2 start ups and 2 shut downs. When the car is actually out on the road and getting some driving time in, it gets a lot better gas. But going to work is two stop signs and that's about it. It's a very slow 25mph commute

If only she would drive a cheap car to work to get better gas.
Ah, well in 2-3 miles, the car isn't even warmed up. You should get an electric car for that commute. Or a scooter

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
Ah, well in 2-3 miles, the car isn't even warmed up. You should get an electric car for that commute. Or a scooter
No doubt. She said she even puts it into neutral for some parts of the drive...LOL! If we lived on an island, we would definitely be riding around on bikes, but she has to be dressy for work and well, it's cold at least by West coast standards. Maybe I can get a Quad with an enclosed driver's area for her...LOL!!!! Would even help with the icey/rainy roads in winter time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in