best tune for a stock viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 AM  
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

best tune for a stock viggen

Best for me would be the most top end without engine damage . Oh yes and cost effective too.

I am clueless here and when I started reading some of the threads as usuall they got blown up in many different direction. so please let's stick to the point if possible.

Thanks Guys.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 AM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Steve Hayes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:33 PM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

any top speed requirements??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 PM  
TSLMember

http://maptun.com/tuningGuide.php?ka...5&listorder=55

If you look here you can get some idea of what hardware you would probably need to get to a certain powerlevel. It is just a guideline, so don't take it too litterally. You may achieve those powerlevels without all the hardware or you may end up buying all the hardware and never achieve that powerlevel, depends on how you go about it.

What most people tend to do (engine-wise) is to start by upgrading airintake and exhaust. If that's not enough power for you, then a bigger turbo, which will usually require more fuel (injectors and fuelpump)

Clutch may not be to up to the task of handling the increased torque, so if you plan on big power this may be a good upgrade to.

No-matter what you do it would be a good idea to get an expert to make a custom tune for your car and set it up just the way you want it. Most people would be satisfied with the regular ECU-tunes though, so if you don't want to spend the money on a custom tune then the regular ones will do.

It is very recommendable to upgrade the chassis too!

Am i forgetting something? These are just the most basic and common upgrades, but if you tell us exactly what you're looking for someone might be more helpful with some specific answers?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM  
SAABeginner

I am planning on buying the BSR stage 1 setup from Genuine Saab next spring for my Viggen which other than this future upgrade is stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM  
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
I am planning on buying the BSR stage 1 setup from Genuine Saab next spring for my Viggen which other than this future upgrade is stock.
that is a bad idea. i have spoken with many people who have stated that the BSR program is garbage and they give next to no support.

specifically i think his tune was very lean...and they basically said suck it up. (not gensaab, but BSR directly)

Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 PM  
Elder

Ydegaard, I'm pretty sure 900AERO knows all this stuff. Not sure if it was his Viggen, but he said it reached 178MPH when racing Porsches. No need to teach him all that.

Why pay huge money for BSR/Nordic when there are local tuners that price their services from $50-$300?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:40 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo9three View Post
any top speed requirements??
yep, whatever stock components would allow, I would take 200mph if it can b done but whatever 170 180 190 all good.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
ydegaard, i'm pretty sure 900aero knows all this stuff. Not sure if it was his viggen, but he said it reached 178mph when racing porsches. No need to teach him all that.

Why pay huge money for bsr/nordic when there are local tuners that price their services from $50-$300?
ok rafal fill me in
Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 PM  
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900AERO View Post
yep, whatever stock components would allow, I would take 200mph if it can b done but whatever 170 180 190 all good.
Its more limited to your gearing, which will keep you down to 170mph assuming you can even overcome aerodynamic drag with power. You don't have an unlimited rev range, thats what a rev limiter is for and is a safe guard for your engine especially since you are only looking for a tune and will retain stock hardware. That being said, I hope for your sake you don't honestly think you can hit 200mph.

Quote:
ok rafal fill me in
Not to detract from your thread, but I think you know what he is talking about (Porsche thread for instance).

|
|
Old 10-18-2009, 04:50 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydegaard View Post
http://maptun.com/tuningGuide.php?ka...5&listorder=55

If you look here you can get some idea of what hardware you would probably need to get to a certain powerlevel. It is just a guideline, so don't take it too litterally. You may achieve those powerlevels without all the hardware or you may end up buying all the hardware and never achieve that powerlevel, depends on how you go about it.

What most people tend to do (engine-wise) is to start by upgrading airintake and exhaust. If that's not enough power for you, then a bigger turbo, which will usually require more fuel (injectors and fuelpump)

Clutch may not be to up to the task of handling the increased torque, so if you plan on big power this may be a good upgrade to.

No-matter what you do it would be a good idea to get an expert to make a custom tune for your car and set it up just the way you want it. Most people would be satisfied with the regular ECU-tunes though, so if you don't want to spend the money on a custom tune then the regular ones will do.

It is very recommendable to upgrade the chassis too!

Am i forgetting something? These are just the most basic and common upgrades, but if you tell us exactly what you're looking for someone might be more helpful with some specific answers?

I already said, stock components, so all I am looking for is a flash or a custom tune to a stock car with no added hardware, p.s. I have already done the suspension upgrades. I am in NYC if that. I am open to a custom tune as long as my car does not become the lab rat.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Its more limited to your gearing, which will keep you down to 170mph assuming you can even overcome aerodynamic drag with power. You don't have an unlimited rev range, thats what a rev limiter is for and is a safe guard for your engine especially since you are only looking for a tune and will retain stock hardware. That being said, I hope for your sake you don't honestly think you can hit 200mph.

Not to detract from your thread, but I think you know what he is talking about (Porsche thread for instance).
Thanks, yes I know, I mean fill me in on who does what as far as tunes. who is in my area etc.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:54 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
Steve Hayes.
contact info website, dyno results? any info?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM  
Elder

Sorry about that, I don't want to start any issues on your thread. Are you looking for a custom tune? Or mail order?

Edit: Steve Hayes is on TSL. Search for his F/S thread for his tuning and contact him via PM. He is very good judging from the happy customers who have his T7 tunes.

Also, JZW does T7 tuning and is always an option as well.

|
|

Last edited by christian900se; 10-18-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:01 PM  

Quote:
Sorry about that, I don't want to start any issues on your thread. Are you looking for a custom tune? Or mail order?
I am ok with either as long as my engine is safe. which is better? i also would rather keep my stock ecu as a backup... can i do that.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM  

Quote:

Edit: Steve Hayes is on TSL. Search for his F/S thread for his tuning and contact him via PM. He is very good judging from the happy customers who have his T7 tunes.

Also, JZW does T7 tuning and is always an option as well.
which one will you go with?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM  
Elder

Haha, Christian, don't bother At least everybody else caught it.

Shane, PM this guy: https://saablink.net/forum/member.php?u=560

And this is thread about tuning: https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hayes

If you have a T7 and want to use one of the ECUPROJECT open files with minor tweaking the price would be $75 including header pin modification.

T7 custom tuning can be discussed if needed and a price settled mutually.

All flashing is cost + shipping (to and from)

As a note cars should be in good condition prior to tuning as tuning a vehicle causes additional stress on all areas of the vehicle. This service is offered with no implied warranty.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM  

Sweet, thanks Guys, sounds like Steve hayes is the man I need.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 PM  
Elder

Quote:
which one will you go with?
I would go with Steve just on the basis of price and quality of work, not saying that JZW is bad in any way. Rafal posted up the link for contacting him, you won't be disappointed. How is the rebuild coming along btw?

|
|
Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 PM  

what is the header pin mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in