best tune for a stock viggen - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #41
Elder

You can definately get a tune that will be fine with your stock setup. It is essentially optimizing the way the car runs with its current hardware, but there are limitations. I guess what people were trying to say is that it will be fine, but with a few simple add-ons, you can get so much more.

In summary: go and get it, but I think you will want more and more after that. It is like a gateway drug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #42
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Exactly as christian said. My viggen has a stage 1 tune from Mike D, but due to zero hardware upgrades other than an air filter, it's limited from what it could achieve.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #43
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900AERO View Post
Been reading through, and I get the point about upgrading hardware then getting a tune, or just upgrading hardware, However for what i know Steve Hayes and John JZW are just running stage one with stock hardware. isn't that what I have been looking for?
they do indeed, on any saab you can get away with a stage one tune and be ok.

and at that mild level reliability has been achieved on many occasions

But as i said earlyer, to make power your putting a bigger explosion than intended inside your motor. plain and simple,, you Can not deny that ANY performance upgrade To any car, at any level does carry a risk towards reliability.

Im not saying dont do it, i love makeing things go fast, and i always will.. But when you talk about the "Best tune" you need to look at all aspects of what your doing

Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #44

Thanks guys, as far as wanting more and more I doupt that is going to be the case with the Viggen since A) it's my daily/family car and i would like to keep it quiet and comfortable and B) I have the SPG as the project car. So would it make sense to do a stage one on the Viggenthen add hardware as they expire. However I am def not interested in in an loud open air filter so I am running the K&N stock replacment filter. btw how does the open ait filter sitting inside the hot engine bay compares to the stock box that is pulling cool air from out side the engine bay?

Last edited by 900AERO; 03-29-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #45
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Most cone air filter setups have heat shields,, Tdo4 cars (like your viggen) tend to stay quieter than there T25 equpted counterparts,, T25s scream out the intake where a tdo4 is much more gentle
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #46

I've driven my father's 9-3 vert plenty of times which is stock. I would say the cone filter on my viggen is not very loud at all compared to the stock setup. And yes, mine has a heat shield like Mike D said.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #47
SAAB Road Master

Its been said that the stock airbox setup is fine for approx 300hp. over oiled filters will soak the MAF and 187 (kill) your T7 motor.

IMHO, a Viggen isn't really a daily driver/family car. While a supreme ride that knocks down 25-35 mpg in style, I would be livid about young'uns in the back ruining the leather. . . . .
Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #48
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy View Post
IMHO, a Viggen isn't really a daily driver/family car. While a supreme ride that knocks down 25-35 mpg in style, I would be livid about young'uns in the back ruining the leather. . . . .
"Just a 9-3 with a body kit"
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #49
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to watkins
Quote:
This doesnt make sense to me. Its a great DD. Ive been everywhere in mine including deep muddy fields and near-lunar gravel roads. A car is meant to be used. Garage queens are worthless.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #50
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
this doesnt make sense to me. Its a great dd. Ive been everywhere in mine including deep muddy fields and near-lunar gravel roads. A car is meant to be used. Garage queens are worthless.
^ditto!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #51
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
This doesnt make sense to me. Its a great DD. Ive been everywhere in mine including deep muddy fields and near-lunar gravel roads. A car is meant to be used. Garage queens are worthless.
Mine can barely make it out of the KFC exit... it scrapes no matter what angle I go. I have also been belly hung once on my friends driveway. Perhaps stock ride height makes a difference, but damn, my car is pretty much useless on steep incline/declines with an abrupt change in angles. The main cause of it is due to the extremely long nose in front of the front wheels though. Also, it's not so great on rough roads. I for one, like to keep my bumper in one piece with no paint scrapes and keep all of my jack covers .

But for semi decent or nice roads, they do make a great dd.

Last edited by zingZACH; 03-11-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #52
lms

Quote:
Its been said that the stock airbox setup is fine for approx 300hp. over oiled filters will soak the MAF and 187 (kill) your T7 motor.

The stock filter setup in fine up to 400 hp and my viggen is a daily driver with a baby seat in the back. It's a saab, not a ferrari.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #53
SAAB Road Master

No garage, damn. My Vig is actually sitting in my muddy driveway thats in worse shape than any road I'd drive it down. ha ha .

Oh and my apology, forgot that 4dr. Viggens are ultra functional. Got 2dr on the mind.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #54
Elder

my dad only has an intake and catback, and Steve made a stage 2 tune for him. my advice to you is get a downpipe and intercooler, and get the stage 3.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #55
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
Mine can barely make it out of the KFC exit... it scrapes no matter what angle I go. I have also been belly hung once on my friends driveway. Perhaps stock ride height makes a difference, but damn, my car is pretty much useless on steep incline/declines with an abrupt change in angles. The main cause of it is due to the extremely long nose in front of the front wheels though. Also, it's not so great on rough roads. I for one, like to keep my bumper in one piece with no paint scrapes and keep all of my jack covers .

But for semi decent or nice roads, they do make a great dd.
agree 100%.i hate viggen bumper, small incline,decline,bump and scrapes the shit out of it.love my car and how it looks but body kit is not practical at all.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmann View Post
agree 100%.i hate viggen bumper, small incline,decline,bump and scrapes the shit out of it.love my car and how it looks but body kit is not practical at all.
why do you guys bottom out all the time. mine is dropped with Koni/koni and I actualy barley ever bottom out. Thank god . I have to say that could be because I have spent about a 10 year course of avoiding bottoming out my slammed c900 driving in NYC. that is maybe why
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #57
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900AERO View Post
why do you guys bottom out all the time. mine is dropped with Koni/koni and I actualy barley ever bottom out. Thank god . I have to say that could be because I have spent about a 10 year course of avoiding bottoming out my slammed c900 driving in NYC. that is maybe why
You don't have as many monsterous sharp angle inclines/declines like we do... Practically every entrance to a gas station and fast food place in town is like this. I'll have to take pictures some time lol.

Unfortunately, these pictures don't quite show the extreme angles of these places, but take my word for it...

I can't even go on this road... my bumper will fold under my car.

I scrape everytime I leave KFC...

And I have to be very careful entering and leaving Cumby's.

Last edited by zingZACH; 03-30-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #58
Elder

Maybe it's a sign you shouldn't go to KFC anymore.

That said, none of those pictures you posted look that bad (I know pics don't really show it) but I have no problems with a lowered Viggen here in MN and the roads are about as bad as anywhere else in North America.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #59
User
Elder

Yeah, unfortunately the google earth photos don't show it at all... . But I'd put money on it that you'd scrape on those or not even be able to go on that road.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #60
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
My ECU failed in my Viggen 2 weeks ago. I just got my replacement in yesterday from Nick(Taliaferro). He gave me Nordic stage 1 Tuning(I only have an intake on the car) and he said it was running around 260hp.

Suffice to say, While I havent topped the car out and have no intention to(Too much to lose), 1st and 2nd gear increase is quite large. It put a huge grin on my face the first time I went WOT in 2nd gear. He gave me a fantastic price, too.

If you just want to do some mild tuning like that, I'd call him and see what he can do for you. I'm really happy with how mine turned out.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in