300 mm rear ventilated brake setup? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
300 mm rear ventilated brake setup?

So I know that the 5 lug super aero's won't clear the 308mm viggen/aero setup for the fronts but would they clear the rear 300mm setup? Anybody have this setup and had the 5 lug super aero's on their car before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
When I put mine on I believe I tired the super aero and it was fine. But I honestly can't completely remember.

I believe it is recommended not to do the 300mm rear upgrade with the small fronts. Changes your brake bias.

I think Nick @ GS has tried a whole bunch of wheels with the brake setups. I would shoot him an email or give him a ring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Elder

i would not put the 300mm rears on with standard fronts

Old 10-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
You mean the talladega style wheel? Rude has those brakes, he might know, but his current wheel is the double 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
This is one of those late night curiosities.

I understand the balance would be shifted unevenly but one could make up for some of that with a more aggressive pad up front and a stock pad in the rear though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I understand that the super aero's are sweet. But to me it seems crazy to limit your braking options due to a good looking wheel. Especially if it cold throw off the handling characteristics of the vehicle.

There is a reason Nick doesn't recommend upgrading the rears without doing the front. I for one trust his professional opinion.

You speak of adjusting break bias after the fact by using a more aggressive pad up front. Why not just skip the rear upgrade and go more aggressive all around?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
This is one of those late night curiosities.

I understand the balance would be shifted unevenly but one could make up for some of that with a more aggressive pad up front and a stock pad in the rear though.
no, you couldnt.

not enough to make up for the huge increase in torque you will see in the rear brakes. you will end up with a huge amount of oversteer that will eventually put you in a wall if you have to brake while turning.

this is not a bad plan. this is a fucking stupid plan.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Elder

What Castor Troy said.

You will also get better overall braking by just getting aggressive pads all around, instead of handicapping yourself.

It's also lots cheaper.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Elder

Like I said it was random late night musings. Not planning anything with them [rear brakes].

Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Not sure about the wheel clearance.

As far as 300rr with 288 fronts.. Not the best Idea. In a perfect world you would want the fronts first for best stopping. You will still see benefits. As far as negatives there really are not any. The ABS/EBD takes care of it all. I have this setup on my viggen for the strip. Base fronts and 300mm rears.. But one step further with Hawk street pads front and Hawk Black track pads in the rear. It is just fine. Takes a fair bit more pedal to get it to stop from 110+ on the drag strip. (Our local track is very short, compared to Tulsa where no brakes are used stopping from 140s. )

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
castor troy pwned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in