t7 viggen with manual boost controller results - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

t7 viggen with manual boost controller results

Ok, so i had a manual boost controller around and decided to test it. Eventually i'm getting a tune, but i wanted to play a little, so here's my story.

Put it on the car and imediately it went to CEL. and base boost. I pulled over and adjusted it. (shut the car off first)

Then it SCREAMED!! I meen it was just like i added 50 hp. I don't drive crazy so i kept it on for a couple days really enjoying the extra boost in all gears. (Especially 2nd and third.)

three days later base boost (limp mone mode)after 5th gear low rpm acceleration. attempt. Backed of MBC more.

Drove another three days before same thing happened. Backed off more.

I kept this same routine up for a bout ten days. Was boositng fine and immediate in the lower gears, but higher gears with boost, low rpms was setting off the limp home. By this time only first and second gear had any improvements.

I decided i'm done playing and disconnected the thing. Well she came back to life. Runs better now than it did before messing with the MBC. Not like it did when i first hooked it up, but better than previously.

I can only conclude that the t7 detuned it after a certain amount of time installed. Once i removed, the computer is at a different level than before i played with it, somehow makingit run better. It is getting colder, so that has a little to do with it.

I did like the extra humph. I raced a friend of mine who has a 9-5T and walked away from him without any problem.

So i'm not taking any chances with the MBC anymore. I mean i could be trying to pass someone and the thing go limp. No thanks. I don'tneed to be in any dangerous situation when i expect power and there isn't any at a critical time.

SO There's my story. Take it for what ou may. I've read enough critiques and advice on these thing, just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
SAABeginner

That is why you cant install a manual boost controller on a t-7,Best you can do is put it in series and adjust it way low and that helps for first gear mostly and a little second gear.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
First and second are fine because the ECU goes through those cells much quicker than when in 4th, 5th. Those are under higher load and thus spending considerably more time in each cell, giving more time to 'make adjustments'.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #4

I should've stated it was hooked up in "series". I would never run it throught the MBC all by itself. That's just asking for trouble. So it was a SMBC as on the smart performance site.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
JK
Elder

Yeah, that is pretty much exactly what everyone who goes through these motions is going to expereice. Your results are the norm, everything sounds just about right
Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

Yeah, figured that. Most of what i've read said about the same thing. I was happy the car ran better than before i started after taking it off.

Made me want to get a tune though. Extra boost is addicting.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Campagna View Post
Once i removed, the computer is at a different level than before i played with it, somehow makingit run better. It is getting colder, so that has a little to do with it.
The cool weather has really made a huge change for my car, that surely will help T7 produce more power. At least you tried it out, now every single person who comes here and asks the T7 + MBC can be referred here!

|
|
Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
The cool weather has really made a huge change for my car, that surely will help T7 produce more power. At least you tried it out, now every single person who comes here and asks the T7 + MBC can be referred here!
lol That's why i started this with the t7 Viggen and MBC in the title. I had to read through so many other threads through search, this one should be easy to find.

I read everything and just wanted to experiment. I am getting a tune eventually, but i like to play around with that kinda stuff. From reading, i knew it wouldn't kill it, so....

I think i'm done experimenting on the SPG, so Viggen is my new toy.

Last edited by Paul Campagna; 10-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Elder

Want to trade? My ng900 for your SPG.

|
|
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
x2 on the cold weather. My car is a whole different animal! Second gear traction is non existent if I go any more than half throttle at any speed. Punched it at 45mph tonight and it started blistering the tires . Too bad she has to be put up soon.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
Too bad she has to be put up soon.
OMG! Don't follow the herd!

|
|
Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
User
Elder

Quote:
OMG! Don't follow the herd!
?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Elder

I assumed since you said she has to be put up soon that you will be selling it, which means you would be the 4th person to sell a LB Viggen lately.

|
|
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
User
Elder

Quote:
I assumed since you said she has to be put up soon that you will be selling it, which means you would be the 4th person to sell a LB Viggen lately.
No no... put up as in getting stored for the winter.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
x2 on the cold weather. My car is a whole different animal! Second gear traction is non existent if I go any more than half throttle at any speed. Punched it at 45mph tonight and it started blistering the tires . Too bad she has to be put up soon.
Probably more to do with slippery tires in cold.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
No no... put up as in getting stored for the winter.
Hahaha, ok. I was worried for a second, I feel better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Its probably a bit of both, cooler temperatures help produce cooler intake temps which means moar powar.

|
|
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Yeah, that certainly has some factor in it... but the extra 3-4 psi of boost also has something to do with it

Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Want to trade? My ng900 for your SPG.
haha, That thing aint going anywhere.- Thanks for the offer though. I'm sure your NG can run circles around all my cars.

Also, I run summer only tires and they really suck at lower temps. I layed into second the other day and if i didn't have traction control on they would've shredded. - Just got the tires, so I want to take it easy on them.

Me likes the extra homph it the cold though....

Last edited by Paul Campagna; 10-17-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in