1999 B235E swap into a 2001 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
TSLMember

1999 B235E swap into a 2001 9-3

A few friends and I are in the process of swapping a B235E from a 99 LPT 9-5 into a 01 HOT 9-3. So far everything has gone smoothly. The 9-3 had a blown B205R sitting in it, so we swapped the accessories (alt, ps pump, a/c comp), the TD04, and the intake mani/sensors/injectors over to the B235E. My ecu was tuned for my mods and engine (Thanks JZW!).

So here is the problem. Both car's have different automatic transmissions with different flex/drive plates. We pulled the the flex/drive plate off the blown B205R and attached it to the B235E we were dropping in since we were using the 9-3 trans and that flex/drive plate goes with the 9-3 trans. We figured since the blocks were identical, this was the way to go.

Once we dropped the motor in, and bolted the bellhousing to the block, we went to put in the torque converter bolts to secure it to the flex/drive plate. However we could not turn the crank at all. We broke the crank pulley bolt loose several times and probably over tightened it but the motor would not turn over.

When we pulled the B235E from my wrecked 9-5 we had zero issues rotating the crank and pulling all the TC bolts out. So I know the motor is not seized. The starter was not in place either so that wasn't holding anything up.

We have not pulled the motor back out because it was getting late/dark, and we all work full time, so we wont be pulling it till next weekend, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might be binding.

We're 100% sure the flywheel is not on backwards because we were able to see it through the various inspection holes on the trans/motor.

Also, when we removed the pan, we're thinking maybe one of the oil tubes dislodged and is not holding the crank, but this is not very likely since the crank would still be able to move at least one way. Also, the tube probably would've just crushed under the force of us trying to rotate the crank and it would've move at least some.

Another thing that might have happened is that the crank pulley binding from getting banged around a little bit when taking the motor out. That's a quick thing to check and we will when we pull the motor.

Cliffs:
B235E swap into an auto trans 9-3.
Motor will not turn over so we can attach flexplate to TC bolts.
Why?????????????

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks for the help guys!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Converter slipped out and is now bound by the trans to engine bolts? Possibly internally damaging the pump or converter.

The cranks etc are all the same externally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
TSLMember

I forgot to mention this in the original post, but the TC spins freely with the engine still attached to the trans.

Last edited by MilanT; 10-12-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Spoolin900SE
Yeah the torque converter was the first thing we checked. It spun freely with just my figure through the bottom inspection hole and the engine still wouldn't spin after we loosened up all the bell housing bolts. Are the rear main covers different between the engines? I am really kicking myself for not checking the motor spun after we swapped the flex plates.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
TSLMember

Does anybody have a picture of a B205R with the auto trans flexplate still attached to the motor? That is the one thing I didn't take a picture of when doing the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in