Still lots of bugs to work out... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Still lots of bugs to work out...

But alas! she's running!

gt3076
JE pistons
Pro-seal rings
t5 cams

still in break in period, with lots of little things to sort out, but even just between 5 to 10 psi i can already feel the beast within waiting to be unleashed.

once completely sealed, and i figure out this mess we've made with the vaccuum lines, it'll be time for a new JZW tune, 60lb injectors, helper spring, and we'll see how the auto-tranny feels about 400+whp. =)

pics soon.

Last edited by wasaaabi; 10-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Road trip to Salt Lake?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaaabi View Post
we'll see how the auto-tranny feels about 400+whp. =)

pics soon.
Please let us know, I have always felt like the auto trannies take power very well. I was told that stage 5 would be a ticking bomb for the automatic but it shifts 100% perfect (knocking on wood) at 280whp. Good luck with the project!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
JK
Elder

I can't wait to see how the trans behaves.

I've seen people with GT28 turbos in 9-5s with auto transmissions...have not heard of anyone going beyond that personally. Should be interesting
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Road trip to Salt Lake?
road trip to vegas?

actually, i was thinking about road tripping up to see John so we can put a proper tune on this thing. but it might be a long while and a bunch of $$ saving before that happens.

christian900se...i'm totally with you on that, i had no problems at all with my crazy stg4+ setup pumping out 26psi on that little turbo with w/m.

jk...i didn't know about the disco potatoes with the 9-5 guys. that's a little reassuring on my end. i think with some sensible tuning, we can make it work. it's all just a matter of time.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You kept the 2.0L? What exhaust housing? .64 or .86.. Might be hard to get enough usable power within the rpm limits of the gearbox.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
You kept the 2.0L? What exhaust housing? .64 or .86.. Might be hard to get enough usable power within the rpm limits of the gearbox.
i was afraid of that. but yeah, i kept the 2.0 and stuck with the bigger exhaust housing...mainly because i was concerned with spooling up 'too quick' and busting the tranny on the first try. i think later i'll switch them out once i'm a little more confident that she'll hold.

i think though that my rear motor mount is starting to go, and i did notice you had a newly designed rear mount on your site, would you recommend it for my franken-saab or should i get the diesel mount?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
its for a 5speed manual only.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaaabi View Post
i was afraid of that. but yeah, i kept the 2.0 and stuck with the bigger exhaust housing...mainly because i was concerned with spooling up 'too quick' and busting the tranny on the first try. i think later i'll switch them out once i'm a little more confident that she'll hold.

i think though that my rear motor mount is starting to go, and i did notice you had a newly designed rear mount on your site, would you recommend it for my franken-saab or should i get the diesel mount?

You need to run that .64ar I gave you, I will keep the torque down with little to no over-shoot. Do not worry about spooling too early, even with the .64ar, its around 4k on a 2.0 and maybe 4800 on the .86ar! That will be too late for you.

John
Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Do not worry about spooling too early, even with the .64ar, its around 4k on a 2.0 and maybe 4800 on the .86ar! That will be too late for you.

John
I have to second that. My 'big' T28 doesn't spool until 3,500 as it is, and that is small potatoes compared to your turbo. Besides, there is no use to have a late spooling turbo since that would practically make 1st, 2nd, and most of 3rd barely driveable in everyday driving. I have had some very scary calls because of lag, especially when you need to pull quickly across lanes or merge at low speeds!

|
|
Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

thanks for the advice guys. i'll def follow suit. and looks like i'll be needing that diesel mount then, since the 'race only' one wont fit.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
So how is a 2K wide powerband going to work with the gears? Since the TCM is going to upshift at a fixed rpm regardless of full throttle kickdown or not? Can't scale the rpm signal unless you can translate the bus rpm too so you stay within 100rpm? Planning on some sort of aftermarket controller?

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
So how is a 2K wide powerband going to work with the gears? Since the TCM is going to upshift at a fixed rpm regardless of full throttle kickdown or not? Can't scale the rpm signal unless you can translate the bus rpm too so you stay within 100rpm? Planning on some sort of aftermarket controller?
no idea. we're swimming in uncharted water here. definitely gonna switch back to the .64ar to widen up that powerband a little bit. but man, even from a 15 roll, untuned and all, if you stomp it...she rips. maybe next week or the week after we'll pull the .86 out and put the .64 in. i've gotta work out this vaccuum line issue first and fix my dang corner light. =)

addendum: it looks like a long road ahead, but we've come way too far to back down...perhaps it might be an exercise in futility, but damn it i'm gonna have some fun doing it.

Last edited by wasaaabi; 10-11-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: addendum:
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
What's the issue with vacuum lines??

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in