Second time to the track - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Second time to the track

Went out today, only got 3 runs, very busy since its the next to last test and tune. Got a trap speed of 125.59mph, but could not get a good second gear shift all night. I put on a solid rear mount, but it just will not shift if I speed shift it, goes fine at normal speed. The synchro must be shot.

I really felt like an 11 was in the car if I only could get one good first to second shift, but it was not in the cards this season.

Best was 12.631 at 122.63mph with a 1.8 60' and a double clutch on second gear, if I could have made that shift, I feel like an 11 would have been possible.... Dangit! Season over, no good synchro!

Here are the two best slips from tonight.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0505.jpg (90.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0506.jpg (91.2 KB, 28 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Nice trap speeds at least And 91mph for the STi? That's terrible!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
JZW
Elder

Yea, I was bummed that I could not get one clean second gear shift

I just wish it was the start of the season, not the end.

John

Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
TSLMember

You still beat the AWD in the 60' time! Nice launch.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
What slicks are you running? 8.5x 24 like me?

That 1.87 is starting to be an ok 60'

Looks like you are giving up quite a bit in the 330. But hard to tell without some logging, video or car based.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
JZW
Elder

Yea, cannot get a good second gear shift, it just crunched and would not go every time, had to shift, hit the wall, stop, double clutch, try again, then hit the gas. It really sucked.

With a heavy vert a mile high with a missed shift, it was not too bad in my opinion, have to tear the tranny down and replace the synchros and what ever else looks worn, but not being able to shift is a big issue for 1/4 mile.

John
Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #7

How many trannies is that now?

Three? Four?

You need to start a nursing home for old trannies...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

John, have you done anything to upgrade or prolong the trans you have in your car?

what type of fluid are you using?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
How many trannies is that now?

Three? Four?

You need to start a nursing home for old trannies...
This is the same 2000 93 tranny I have been running for about 2 years now with gt3076, Holset, still works perfect on the street, just cannot speed shift it from first to second. We tore it down two months back and put in new input shaft bearings and LSD and new updated crush sleave.

I think for street use, this tranny would last for years.

John
Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
John, have you done anything to upgrade or prolong the trans you have in your car?

what type of fluid are you using?

Thanks
THe LSD is a huge help for these trannies and I did replace the main input and diff bearings when we put in the LSD. We put in the best looking synchros from the core I had to make a 4.45 box, but was not able to run that final drive because I was sent the wrong ring gear to match the LSD.

I run the newer grey bottle saab manual fluid.

John
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
This is the same 2000 93 tranny I have been running for about 2 years now with gt3076, Holset, still works perfect on the street, just cannot speed shift it from first to second. We tore it down two months back and put in new input shaft bearings and LSD and new updated crush sleave.

I think for street use, this tranny would last for years.

John

wait...

How many times have you actually gone into it?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

You do realize that your "heavy vert is 3190lbs and the 3door vig is 3130 from SAAB specs not madeup numbers.

My car with the sub box and a 3/8 tank of fuel weighs 3160 without driver. We normally keep 1/2 tank or more to ensure fuel pickup. In the drag car we run nearly a full tank. But thats another mess. Mine on the scales. http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/VigSuspension

Run the stock 0063 fluid. If you run to heavy clutch disk or can't disengage it properly quick enough you will have the same issues. You can remove some of the dashpot function and play with iac control to get the motor to drop revs quicker. I didnt do much of this in my Viggen with the 2871

Is there a rubber COF for altitude..

|
|

Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
JZW
Elder

My current tranny has only been into once for the LSD install.

Now, since I started about 4 years ago, I have been through about 4-5 trannies total, but this last 93 tranny has held up much better than the ng900 trannies I had before.

I think a good 93 tranny would last a good while and this one would keep going for a while if I was not drag racing it.

I have some more plans for a "beefed up" 5 speed with some tricks to help longevity. Will be testing them this winter and if they hold up to the abuse, will be selling them to other people. Need to get one in my race car and Steve's cse and my aero and see how they hold up to some mild track and strong street tunes.

John
Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
You do realize that your "heavy vert is 3190lbs and the 3door vig is 3130 from SAAB specs not madeup numbers.

My car with the sub box and a 3/8 tank of fuel weighs 3160 without driver. We normally keep 1/2 tank or more to ensure fuel pickup. In the drag car we run nearly a full tank. But thats another mess. Mine on the scales. http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/VigSuspension

Run the stock 0063 fluid. If you run to heavy clutch disk or can't disengage it properly quick enough you will have the same issues. You can remove some of the dashpot function and play with iac control to get the motor to drop revs quicker. I didnt do much of this in my Viggen with the 2871

Is there a rubber COF for altitude..
Yea, I had you at sea level

Here is the CF for sc/turbo cars to sea-level, CF in half.

My time would be 12.25 at 126.06mph

http://www.nhra.net/tech_specs/altitude.html

PS> Don't forget my heavy mild steel roll bar I had to put in at another 120 #

Last edited by JZW; 10-01-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
SAABeginner

John just cram it into second...drive the car like its not yours thats what I do.......

Oh ya they are not mine
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #16
JZW
Elder

I tried everything to get it to go into second and the harder I tried to cram it, the worse it would hit a wall
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

I get to run a altitude cf too.. We are close to 2k feet this is my street car

who cares.. quit making excuses and figure out how to go fast..

PS roll bar tube is about 2lbs per ft.. so how many feet are in that cage? ~30ft.. nascar spec with multiple door bars??

Congrats on at least running the car.

|
|

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Quote:
PS roll bar tube is about 2lbs per ft.. so how many feet are in that cage? ~30ft.. nascar spec with multiple door bars??
2lbs per ft sounds about right. My old bar took 25 feet of tubing and the total weight was 60 lbs.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
JZW
Elder

Pretty thick mild steel, door bar, cross bar for road racing support and or seat-belt harness. I did not weight it, but the cage builder said it would be around 120# for the entire piece and 60# for crome moley, which I wanted, but then found out the builder could not make the bend of the main hoop tight enough and we had to go with mild steel. Estimated weight of the crome moley was 60#, mild steel was almost twice as heavy, but half the cost.

My car is 3250# with me in it now.

John
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
JZW
Elder

Quote:
I get to run a altitude cf too.. We are close to 2k feet this is my street car

who cares.. quit making excuses and figure out how to go fast..

Congrats on at least running the car.
You are fighting hard here. I did not go off of density altitude, which can be over 11,000' in the middle of the summer. Is your track on the NHRA list? What was name, lets look it up and see what it gives in CF.

As you know, I did not post or claim any CF, would like to run into the 11's at least with no cf. Would also like to trailer it down to Tulsa or somewhere and try it there and feel that nice gooey air you boys get to play with all the time.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in