How much boost can i run? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to 01redvig
How much boost can i run?

i want to buy a boost cotroler so i can tweek how much boost im giving to the car, BUT i dont want to over boost the car and pop the engin!

give me an idea so i can do this with smarts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #2

Take some time to learn about the car, and why a boost controller might be a bad idea...

Take some more time to discover some of the key maintenance issues you'll need to address before turning up the boost.

Then take some more time to learn about T7Suite and the mods you want for safe, optimum performance.

Then....

Have fun.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Take some time to learn about the car, and why a boost controller might be a bad idea...

Take some more time to discover some of the key maintenance issues you'll need to address before turning up the boost.

Then take some more time to learn about T7Suite and the mods you want for safe, optimum performance.

Then....

Have fun.
x2

best way to do it for longevity. esp with t7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
If my memory serves me correctly your car is already tuned...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #5

We really want to see that car go fast...but safely and reliably. That's the key thing. There are loads of guys who did some quick modding that yielded good results initially, but didn't follow through on some key maintenance stuff and....BOOM.

There are lots of folks here who will help you avoid those errors and lead you through the minefield....

EDIT: Just saw the previous post and looked at the OP's profile....Boost controller with a tuned ECU is a HUGE no-no. Do you have a fuller list of what mods were done to your car?????

Last edited by mike saunders; 09-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to 01redvig
upgraded intercooler,upgraded Bpv, stage 3ecu (sqr), full 3in exhaust including downpipe, air.intake and thats about it for performance mods but i feel like im at the end of m rope for performance without steping up the turbo or something
Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Aside from T5 cams, cobra pipe and a retune, , it's time for forged pistons and a bigger turbo. After just buying the car, I doubt you have the $3-6k to delve into that.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01redvig View Post
upgraded intercooler,upgraded Bpv, stage 3ecu (sqr), full 3in exhaust including downpipe, air.intake and thats about it for performance mods but i feel like im at the end of m rope for performance without steping up the turbo or something
Dude, your car is probably faster than 90% of most Saabs on here. A stage 3 Viggen should destroy most cars on the road also.

While it's tough to tell someone to stop dumping money into their car, you may just have to accept the fact that there's not much more you can get out of the car without a serious investment. Like Jameson says, are you prepared to spend multiple thousands? Even if you were, would the possibility of breakdown and long term durability concerns be worth it? I think that sometimes we forget that we own 4 cylinder front wheel drive cars. At a certain point, going any bigger in terms of performance is just a recipe for disaster. At stage 3, you're at a happy median where you should have great power along with a reasonable assurance that your car will last long-term.

Boost is an addiction!

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Elder

Not to mention, if this is a daily driver, BIG power and FWD just equals silly amount of wheelspin.

Also, stock power has a way of busting crush sleeves and taking out 2nd gear too. Ask me how I know. Thats another $4-6k to make right. Oh yeah, just add an LSD....that does not cure much....again, ask me how I know.

I think Stage 4 with ALL supporting handling and brake mods is about as good as it gets for this platform. If the car is not mostly street driven ok, then strip it, LSD and cage it, and say screw it and throw tons of power at it.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #10

Double ditto to all of the above.

You're right at the edge of the safety envelope without getting new pistons. Although there are guys who have run a bigger turbo (18T) on stock interrnals, nearly everyone I know will tell you that it's definitely not recommended with a B235 engine.

Drive the car for a bit and see what you think....
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

So i've heard t-7 bottom ends are weaker than t-5 bottom ends. What are the main differences? I'm guessing the rods are still pretty strong if you guys haven't suggested to the OP to replace those. Are the pistons aluminum on these cars?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Elder

It's the pistons. Most everything else can stand up to BIG power.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01redvig View Post
You kinda said it yourself, if your goal really is to get more power. No reason to push the turbo more with a boost controller if there's nothing to be gained from it.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
So i've heard t-7 bottom ends are weaker than t-5 bottom ends. What are the main differences? I'm guessing the rods are still pretty strong if you guys haven't suggested to the OP to replace those. Are the pistons aluminum on these cars?
IIRC, the T7 pistons are cast aluminum (hypereutectic?) but are very light to reduce reciprocating mass. There's a shallow depth between the top of the piston and the first ring land, so they're not very forgiving of running lean. In more than a few cases, folks have leaned out the car via improper tuning, over-revving ("money shifting"), or even a bad MAF with a totally stock car. Piston cracks at high revs, gets caught in the bore, rod snaps, and then there's an extra hole in the engine block....

But with good maintenance, stock T7 blocks are fine up to 300hp (Stage 3+ ish)

Last edited by mike saunders; 09-30-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
Elder

if you really want to ramp up the power talk to mike d. He has a rebuilt b234. Thats the 2.3 motor found in 9000's. This motor 100% stock will handle 400 whp and 6k all day long.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Stage 3 Viggen and you want more? Wow.

You should be able to walk away from most cars on the road, but if you want to hang with 400+hp cars, Front wheel drive is the biggest issue IMO. It's just not the best platform for big power...

Definitely listen to people on this board too. It will save you lots of headaches.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Elder

I have to say, if my car had any more power than the 285whp (automatic ng900) it has now, there would be a number of situations where it will really be almost undriveable. It gets scary in the rain, especially if you really need to accelerate (i.e. onto the Merritt Parkway).

You can probably get a more aggressive tune, but you have a Viggen for godsake. You can't afford the couple hundred it takes for a tune?

|
|
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Stop telling the guy not to upgrade more, he asked a question and didn't need to get told.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
TSLMember

T5 cams, 6cm2 exhaust housing, cobra pipe...then be done with it. The cams made a huge difference on my un-tuned 9-3 (with stage 4 supporting hw). The two combined should give you quite a bit more top end, and read the reviews of the big intake pipe on GS's website. Maybe not awesome for hp gains but decent sound and spoolup. Otherwise like they say get pistons, injectors, and have your TD04 built up!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #20
Elder

do what you want man but like most people said at this point it is going to cost you $thousands to get a few more HP and remove some of the reliability.

also how can you not be happy with a stg 3 viggen? like really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in