the new drag car, ng900 style - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

the new drag car, ng900 style

well im a 9000 guy and have put a lot of work into my 9000 but dont want to keep going though transmissions on my daily driver...soo i broke down and am going to buy this not sure of year or milage but i know its white a 2 door, 5 speed, turbo for 600 bucks runs and drives and needs only ball joints and body love...

this is going to be a track only car and not driven to the strip so, its getting gutted...

Plans are td04 6cm from a 9000 aero...large front mount walbro 255 just so i know i have plenty of fuel..what else...what makes these car stick to the ground on take off...i know next to nothing on 900's

only pic i have
[IMG][/IMG]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #2

Follow what Nick from Genuine has done with his 2.0 track car.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/cars/drag20.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Awww I love white ng 3 doors... I'd make it pretty instead They're pretty rare!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post

Just the nira alone is 2300 bucks!

I would do what others have done to go fast, its not that complicated, slicks really, really, really helps, then a holset hx 35 would be a nice addition or even a similar powered turbo.

I have seen a ng900 pull 1.9 60' times with the 9k tdo4 and run in the mid 13's, but the gt3071wg with no cams or anything like that could get you into the low 13's to the high 12s as Mark Bellingham did.

You will need poly motor mounts for sure, good tires, some suspension parts help and then some practice launching. That will be a good car to start and its all about power to weight, so if you can get the weight down, you will be able to do much more with much less in the power department!

good luck,

John
Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

hey john with an exhaust or should i say open custon down pipe and a large intercooler, and intake, td04 6cm2 could i drop your tune for my 9000 into this and run it or do i need a new tune all together?

Also plan is to completly strip this ca down if its not needed to run it wont be on the car...just a body with one cheap seat from pepboys or somthing...i will most likely keep the dash in there, probly build a sheet metal hood that comes off with hood pins and get rid of the hinges...same with hatch get rid of that and make a sheet metal hatch with hood pins and plexy glass, or at least take the glass out and use plexy glass
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Take out the glass and put some lexan..
Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

the windshield has to stay glass .... but the rest can be plexi or lexan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Oh .... ps .... awesome! lol ..... id love to see you run next season ... where do you race?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Elder

you will need a different tune because the ng900's have the 2.0 motor instead of the 2.3 in 9ks

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #10

what is differant? if i put a 2.3 in it wouldnt it run that engine with no ecu change?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #11

i kind of want to wind the piss out of this engine at 8000+ rpm that sounds fun....what the highest rev limit i can get out of trionic but it shits its self?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post

A good point...

It's also worth remembering how many times he's needed to change transmissions and clutches...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
a good point...

It's also worth remembering how many times he's needed to change transmissions and clutches...and create prototype transmission mounts and control arms
fixed

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Elder

Hahaha Branden... I think this is going to be a cool project, at least you have some of Nicks experience to run off of.

|
|
Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #15

True, there's a lot of expensive R+D going on with each pass, but it's still worth remembering that there's no magic bullet for the type of increased drivetrain wear you're going to see by launching at a track.

Nick and his crew have done a fantastic job coming up with ways of strengthening transmissions and bolstering floppy engine mounts, but there's no new clutch made of magic Viking panty silk that resists burning out when dropped at 3,000 RPM
Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #16

well thats kind of the idea behind this car is i can beat it hard and if it breaks not scramble to get it fixed....my 9000 is my DD also so blowing trans every weekend at the strip would get old
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #17

It seems like people think that what Nick is doing is rocket science....It's not.

Mad Props to Nick and his crew. They are smart, good fabricators, and willing to break stuff. I think it also helps to have some spare parts on hand.

But this sort of thing is what ANY racing folk do. A friend and I are slowly making progress on his drag car. Its a Chevy Monza that in the end will have a big block stuffed in it. It's new territoiry for us for sure. The stock front end of the monza is not strong enough nor big enough for the big block, so it has all come off and we are working on a tube front end to match the tube rear half of the car already in it (previously had a small block). It's all custom, and we have no guides. Thats the fun of racing I think, building it!

If you don't want to break your car, don't race it. Thats how you know what to improve next, it's what just broke, and breaking stuff goes hand in hand with going fast (and costing money )
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Build it.. See how fast you can go on the tdo4 the 2.0 is the way to go I am certain. Lets see how fast you can go on the gt30.. Not crazy big turbo but a reasonable street turbo. Just odd how nobody seems to be able to get close to those times but Robert Uhr and Marko with lots more go..

I have new clutches on the way, just not from spec. Just taking some time and I didnt want to wait.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #19

well racing will have to happen next season...but i think with a decent tune, td04 and fully stipped interior it should run pretty good...this is going to be the biggest backyard do it your self build out there im sure...as i plan to have next to nothing in this car so its disposable lol...not that i want to strip it to race it to throw it away when it breaks but very budget minded as i am still always going to dump most my money into my 9000
Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post

I have new clutches on the way, just not from spec. Just taking some time and I didnt want to wait.
Magic Viking panty silk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in