mechanical vs electric boost gauge - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

mechanical vs electric boost gauge

im in the process of ordering a new boost gauge for my car to match my wideband from prosport gauges its only like 15 more dollars for the one with the electric sender i have heard a dispute before of which one is better any input on this guys?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to watkins
Boost is the one time where there is absolutely no advantage whatsoever for having an electrical gauge. Of the half dozen Ive installed, none has been electrical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

also anyone have anything bad to say about prosport gauges??

Ps should i go with electric for oil pressure? i know some people worry about leaking in the cabin but im confident if i tighten it all together that shouldnt happen?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabskijc View Post
Ps should i go with electric for oil pressure? i know some people worry about leaking in the cabin but im confident if i tighten it all together that shouldnt happen?
This I would do. I lost all 4 quarts of oil from my engine into the cabin of my convertible when a compression fitting decided to fail.

My plan is an oil filter sandwich plate and an electric gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

I bet it smelt like a gokart track for months good thing I love that smell jk ya I wouldn't want that pro sports electric gauges aren't much more then their mechanical so I'm probably gonna go ahead and get electric oil pressure mechanical boost and I have one more blank spot for a gauge soo what should I get is oil temp that important if I already have pressure any other gauges I should worry about got the wideband covered? Might end up throwing a volts gauge in there
Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #6

Nope no smell. It all ended up between the subflooring and the body and drained right out the plugs

Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Wish I could give you some feed back on the prosports overall.

My sender just arrived back with them to be checked to see if it was bad .

Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #8

How many gauges are in your car? And what are u using to hold them? I have 4 gauges right now in my NG900: Boost, A/F, Oil Temp, and Volts. I have the Elkparts dual a pillar pod and I had to custom make a gauge holder next to the cigarette lighter for the other two, but im interested in what you did seeing as I want to put a few more gauges in my car and I'm running out of room.

BTW, I had a friend use prosport gauges and he seems to like them very much and they havent given him any trouble yet. I was thinking on switching over from Autometer, but i like them too much.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Elder

I would only do electrical. At a minimum a peak recall feature is really handy to have. Plus, they're generally self calibrating, meaning that whatever atmospheric pressure you're at when you go through the start up sequence will be the zero so you won't have any type of offset.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995BlueBeast View Post
How many gauges are in your car? And what are u using to hold them? I have 4 gauges right now in my NG900: Boost, A/F, Oil Temp, and Volts. I have the Elkparts dual a pillar pod and I had to custom make a gauge holder next to the cigarette lighter for the other two, but im interested in what you did seeing as I want to put a few more gauges in my car and I'm running out of room.

BTW, I had a friend use prosport gauges and he seems to like them very much and they havent given him any trouble yet. I was thinking on switching over from Autometer, but i like them too much.
So I'm not the only one .

Currently in the car: Prosport Volt and Boost, Autometer oil pressure

Waiting to go in the car: Prosport Oil pressure and temp, water temp, fuel pressure, EGT.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

i just got my elk parts dual pod in the mail also have the dual pod by sleet to go next to the cigarette lighter both look to be really good quality right nwo my boost gague is in my light switch but will be swapping that into the pillar and light switch back when i get the new gauge in pretty excitied i feel it will change the look of the cars interior quite abit
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

also if you order gauges from prosport you can use the coupon code fastspecv or crooked to get 10% off just a heads up

and also im going with a blue boost gauge to match my inovative wideband but for the oil press and volts down by the cigarette lighter should i go with green to match the interior or blue to match the rest of the gauges?

Last edited by saabskijc; 09-22-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Elder

BTW, if you have a gauge in your headlight socket you won't be able to put the switch back in the socket and expect it to stay put. When you cut out that lip to put in a 52mm gauge you remove the part that holds the headlight switch. You'll need a new dash to replace it with.

If you have the base black dash in your I have a brand new one that I've been trying to sell. You can PM if you have an interest.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #14

My lower gauges next to the cigarette lighter are green and they look great which led me to switch my other gauges to the same green color. I'm also looking into putting a three gauge pod on my dash for more gauges, i just dont know how they will look, but if you have any other ideas Id love to hear them.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #15

BTW NahumCC: I want to put the same type of gauges in my car too just all Auto Meter Pro Sports in a nice green which matches the dash lights nicely.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
BTW, if you have a gauge in your headlight socket you won't be able to put the switch back in the socket and expect it to stay put. When you cut out that lip to put in a 52mm gauge you remove the part that holds the headlight switch. You'll need a new dash to replace it with.
Not so if youre clever.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I still say I wouldn't buy prosports again, since I can't dim that dang things and I do a lot of night driving with deer.

The big advantage for me with electrical is that I just put the sender over by the throttle body and ran the wires to join up with oil presser wires. Vacuum hoses for a gauge are just more hoses for leaks.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #18

You can dim any gauge you want. Just buy a rheostat.

My Glowshift boost gauge is a searchlight right out of the box. An in-line dimmer brought it down to factory dash levels and it now dims quite well with the dash illumination dimmer.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

i guess ill just run a switch to the power so i can shut them off if need be and ya i know my headlight switch wont just fit in ive got a viggen dash lined up ill probably be sellling mine with the carbon fiber overlay

just made my order for mechanical boost gauge im guessing i should be able to dim that one because ill just dim the power supply? and it wont affect how the gauge works and i also ordered oil press electric and voltmeter

Last edited by saabskijc; 09-22-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
I've always gone with mechanical boost gauges. From my experience, mechanical gauges generally gives you faster, more accurate readings.

However, with oil pressure I would go for an electrical so you don't have to worry about leaking oil into your cabin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in