koni adjustables (sport kit) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

koni adjustables (sport kit)

so after having my front set of koni adjustable shocks blow after ~8000 miles, i just chalked it up to a bad set.
I put the warranty replacements on and about 7000 miles another one, possibly both fronts, have blown.

has anyone had issues with these?

I'm royally ticked about this, and ready to go back to stock, as much as that set-up sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Elder

I think I'm a little over 30,000 miles so far and they are still great, lots of track use too.

Try one more time with the warranty, then maybe talk straight to koni to see if they can maybe give you a new set since this one they are rebuilding are blowing so often...

I assume you have the correct springs too? That would make a longevity difference...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

I purchased the entire sport kit from GS. All installed professionally and given a break in period on full soft. I received what I believe to be brand new, not rebuilt replacements.

Champ, what settings do you typically run yours at?
daily driven?
track?
long distance trips?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Elder

I have had my Konis in for about 5,000 miles (on full firm) and they are still performing like new. I have a friend who is on SC that has a og9-3 vert where his Konis failed on him once after less than 10k miles.

If the Konis truely don't work out for you, try out the Bilsteins.

|
|
Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo9three View Post
I purchased the entire sport kit from GS. All installed professionally and given a break in period on full soft. I received what I believe to be brand new, not rebuilt replacements.

daily driven?
track?
long distance trips?
Mine have been fine for around 30,000 miles too, most of those miles were with the stock springs which seem to give the shocks/struts more of a workout.

No track days on that car, but it has been rallycrossed HARD on a frozen solid field.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo9three View Post

daily driven?
track?
long distance trips?
I have done long distance on both but it's typically full soft.
Track is always full firm.
Daily driving is probably 75% of the time full soft 25% full firm.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Whats the koni warranty? Are you getting them replaced by genuinesaab or straight from koni?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Elder

Something isn't right. Those are supposed to be "lifetime" shocks/struts.

Do you do any weird/excessive driving? Everything else okay with the front end?

I'm at like 62k on my set. I heard hissing and one went bad when I took things down to do a wheelbearing, but that's because the moron that put them in originally apparently beat on the top with something and damaged the crimped seal area. So I'm not counting that as a real failure.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Whats the koni warranty? Are you getting them replaced by genuinesaab or straight from koni?
direct from koni- GS wouldn't have anything to do with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Something isn't right. Those are supposed to be "lifetime" shocks/struts.

Do you do any weird/excessive driving? Everything else okay with the front end?

I'm at like 62k on my set. I heard hissing and one went bad when I took things down to do a wheelbearing, but that's because the moron that put them in originally apparently beat on the top with something and damaged the crimped seal area. So I'm not counting that as a real failure.

excessive driving? no. i put on alot of miles this past month, but that includes driving from chicago to colorado for SOC.

the car has yet to see the track, i mean i have put it through its paces for fun, but not yet tracked.

I'm going to give this warranty another try, specifically requesting new, not refurbished products. I'm not going to touch full firm on the street, just next year when i make it out to some autoX events.

thanks for the input, it's given me some hope for these.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

you're supposed to keep em full soft for the wear in period??? oops (how big a deal is this???)

Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #11

I am surprised they are blowing for the $$$ they cost.

How can they even give you refurbished units??!!!?? So they expect you to be happy with paying full price for a refurbished set and had to do the labor twice. At this point they should give you new ones and cover the labor OR money back imo.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
That is quite odd.

What is the exact nature of the failure?

Where did you put the white washer that is in the kit?

I have pinched tires flat on my pair including high speed turtles at the track..

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #13

The white washer sits on the top side of the strut.

The problem is the seal keeps blowing out and filling the strut housing full of fluid..

Very strange for it to be happening.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #14

Who installed them?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
That is quite odd.

I have pinched tires flat on my pair including high speed turtles at the track..
Wait what? Someone told me these weren't required. Where do they go?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
That is quite odd.

-exactly what SPG-GASM said.

The failure is exactly as Rob described... There is also a pronounced clicking noise when dampening quickly. When we removed the last defective set (with the same failure characteristics), both strut housings were filled with fluid and leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Who installed them?
a very qualified Saab Tech.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaross View Post
you're supposed to keep em full soft for the wear in period??? oops (how big a deal is this???)
anyone?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaross View Post
anyone?
http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/tech.pdf

Quote:
Q: What is the best adjustment setting for my shocks?

A: There is no single best adjustment setting for your KONIs
because every driver and vehicle has different
preferences for comfort, performance, performance
modifications and roads to drive on. For most vehicles,
we suggest that new KONIs be installed in the full soft
position (the standard setting right out of the box) to take
advantage of the balance of ride comfort and handling
designed by the KONI ride development engineers. If the
car has performance upgrades (springs, wheel/tire
packages, etc.) or the driver wants the car a bit more
aggressive, most people find the optimum setting in the
1/2 to one full turn from full soft range. Over the extended
life of the damper or if the driver wants a specific firm
handling characteristic, the dampers can be adjusted up
higher. Very rarely will a KONI ever need to be adjusted to
the full firm setting.

I know this doesn't answer your question.
I ran mine on full soft for ~1500-2000 miles before adjusting from full soft.

Last edited by IX III; 09-22-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in